Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone found an OBD2 phone app that will read transmission fluid temp?

2016 Touring CX-5 w/ 2.0 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    Upload a pic and link to model you are using...I'm using some pretty generic ELM327 adapters and don't have any issues. As long as one isn't trying to run multiple OBD devices at the same time it should be fairly benign to the car.
    https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Andro...ews-filter-bar

Reading the reviews some people state that the device gets hot (mine does, I assumed it was normal) and that it fried the OBD port and threw CEL all over the place. I'm not going to use it anymore.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    I'm using these. I've never noticed them anything but warm.

'15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 49K Miles / '07 Infiniti G35x / '12 Lexus GX 460 / '00 Wrangler TJ 4.0L

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

I use one of these. $5 or less all day all over the internet. They do not get warm.

Also.. there is no dedicated transmission temp sensor, at least on gen 1 cx-5s. The coolant temperature from ECT No.1 is used as reference since the ATF cooler uses coolant to transfer heat. There are two coolant sensors, ECT No.1 and ECT no.2.. #1 is on the right side of the engine behind the air hose.. the second is connected into the water pump assembly.

Last edited by Chris_Top_Her; 09-15-2018 at 12:34 AM.

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    I use one of these. $5 or less all day all over the internet. They do not get warm.

Also.. there is no dedicated transmission temp sensor, at least on gen 1 cx-5s. The coolant temperature from ECT No.1 is used as reference since the ATF cooler uses coolant to transfer heat. There are two coolant sensors, ECT No.1 and ECT no.2.. #1 is on the right side of the engine behind the air hose.. the second is connected into the water pump assembly.

On the 2016 with the Forscan App you can get two separate readings, coolant temp and trans temp. They spit out different values so I'm guessing there is a dedicated trans temp sensor for the later models. This app is dedicated to Mazda and Ford and has parameters not offered by other apps like Torque. The Torque app will show trans temp reading, but it seems to be paired with the engine cooling reading, that is it won't give you the actual trans temp reading.
    Last edited by madar; 09-15-2018 at 07:00 AM.

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    On my '15 I can get a 10-12 degree F spread towing a trailer hard on a hill.... if it is using the two different coolant sensors then my Forscan install is using #1 for ATF and showing coolant reading from #2.

On a side note...this may not be applicable to anything one needs to read on a CX-5 but I had to pick up a legite ELM 327 with a real 2.0+ firmware to read some of the modules like TPMS in my GX. This may help if you need full module read anything on a Toyota product. Support of OBD Fusion said the following about my GX--->

"The TPMS modules uses a protocol that not all generic ELM327 adapters can access. An ELM327 adapter that supports the genuine ELM v2.0 or newer command set is required to access that module..... be aware that most of the non-genuine ELM adapters will advertise a version that really isn*t 2.0 or later. An adapter that uses the genuine ELM chip would be the best option."This company sells one, but they are not located in the US: https://elm-327.eu/elm_wifi
    We are working with the OBDLink manufacturer to get them to update their adapters for ELM v.2.0 support. Their adapters are firmware upgradable and hopefully they will have an update soon."

I bought the one from Romania above and it gave me full access to all modules like a Toyota Techstream install for at least read only access. I don't think the same issue exists with Forscan and modules on the CX-5.

If someone has come across something they can't read let me know and I will try out this ELM adapter to see if works.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

On an 80 degree day I'll see the trans temp cooler than than engine for about the first 5 miles (flat terrain) after initial startup from cold, then eventually it'll run a few degrees hotter for the next 10. Stays amazingly stable.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Anyone found an OBD2 phone app that will read transmission fluid temp?

On my '15 I can get a 10-12 degree F spread towing a trailer hard on a hill.... if it is using the two different coolant sensors then my Forscan install is using #1 for ATF and showing coolant reading from #2.
    So for gen-1 CX-5 there’s no true ATF temperature sensor, but two coolant temperature sensors at different location displayed as engine coolant and ATF temperatures by Forscan App?

Registered Member

Has to be a trans temp sensor somewhere, this is out of a 2013 service manual, the manual makes numerous references to trans temps

Attached Images Attached Images

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    I assume it would be onboard the valve body itself within the AT if not a separate sensor.

I've also been looking around at AT rebuild documentation. It is listed as---> FW6A-EL

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.co...df/FW6A-EL.pdf

I thought I saw 3 different M-MDS temp sensors listed in FSM in regards to that ECM with #465 i diagram above.
    Last edited by Kedis82ZE8; 09-15-2018 at 12:06 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Anyone found an OBD2 phone app that will read transmission fluid temp?

I assume it would be onboard the valve body itself within the AT if not a separate sensor.

I've also been looking around at AT rebuild documentation. It is listed as---> FW6A-EL

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.co...df/FW6A-EL.pdf

I thought I saw 3 different M-MDS temp sensors listed in FSM in regards to that ECM with #465 i diagram above.
    Thanks for digging into the service manual for these information. So we can assume Forscan App displays ture ATF temperature, while some other apps such as Torque App displays fake ATF temperature by using coolant temperature data as both temperatures shown always the same.

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Still looking but leaning toward there is something from the personal data I have observed in my own vehicle and some of the FSM data. I can't say definitively either way though at this point. If it is there it isn't a standalone sensor and like I said before part of the valve body or that ECM. It wouldn't take much to integrate a temp sensor. With it being water cooled temps would often stay close together with normal driving. I even seen this on my GX...but start pulling heavy loads on hills, mountain passes or towing trailers and one should see temp gap noticeably widen.

Registered Member

Still looking but leaning toward there is something from the personal data I have observed in my own vehicle and some of the FSM data. I can't say definitively either way though at this point. If it is there it isn't a standalone sensor and like I said before part of the valve body or that ECM. It wouldn't take much to integrate a temp sensor. With it being water cooled temps would often stay close together with normal driving. I even seen this on my GX...but start pulling heavy loads on hills, mountain passes or towing trailers and one should see temp gap noticeably widen.
    Here...I think it corresponds to number 446 on your diagram
    http://www.mcx5.org/transaxle_fluid_temperature_tft_sensor_fw6_a_el_fw 6_ax_el_-1000.htm

Last edited by madar; 09-15-2018 at 08:44 PM.

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Nice!!! Excellent find. :-) That seals it for me. It's there..

EDIT: Just for the METADATA searches :-) ... CX-5 has an AT Automatic Transmission Temperature Sensor

"The transaxle fluid temperature (TFT) sensor is integrated with the coupler component and installed to the control valve body."

Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    Here...I think it corresponds to number 446 on your diagram
    http://www.mcx5.org/transaxle_fluid_temperature_tft_sensor_fw6_a_el_fw 6_ax_el_-1000.htm

Last edited by Kedis82ZE8; 09-15-2018 at 09:07 PM.

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

That's funny because in my 2015 WSM aside from "TFT | Transaxle Fluid Temperature" listed under abbreviations, and it mentions TFT Pid for monitoring during some M-MDS processes.. but nowhere does it show/identify a TFT sensor on any diagram whatsoever. it does have the "Coupler Component" as labeled in that mcx5 diagram,along withother valve body sddiagrams (but without the TFT sensor built in annotation).
    Most likely the WSM has been updated to reflect that item on it's own.. In mine all troubleshooting related to ATF refer to the ECT. no1 sensor.. In that case the question remains; has anyone with a 15 or older cx-5 got two different temps to show for coolant and transaxle with the Torque app?

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    It may require a custom PID in Torque. I had to add some in on my GX when I played with that program while OBD Fusion just saw it. Unfortunately many of these programs don*t show you PID and formula being used. I will try to test myself...when I have access to vehicle. I don*t think FORScan reveals PID and formula either.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast