Anyone found an OBD2 phone app that will read transmission fluid temp?

Details, please post some details about your experience.

Simple, with the Torque app, connection is basically automatic, with Forscan you have to go to the settings menu and where it says "Bluetooth adapter" you have to point to the connection that you want. Just about everything and anything is there, trans temps, rear diff temps, duty cycle of fuel pump, what gear the trans is in, rear parking brake motor voltages, fuel pump voltages, etc.

Last edited:
A few days ago I downloaded the free version of Forscan to check it out, but couldn't get it to do anything. Did you use the paid version? If that's all it takes, I'm in...

A few days ago I downloaded the free version of Forscan to check it out, but couldn't get it to do anything. Did you use the paid version? If that's all it takes, I'm in...

Used both. Free version comes with demo mode enabled, you have to disable it and then config

Simple, with the Torque app, connection is basically automatic, with Forscan you have to go to the settings menu and where it says "Bluetooth adapter" you have to point to the connection that you want. Just about everything and anything is there, trans temps, rear diff temps, duty cycle of fuel pump, what gear the trans is in, rear parking brake motor voltages, fuel pump voltages, etc.

Hi, Im with the free version and cant find anything on settings. What do you suggest?
746f0db5e796969d61b719745199cd8a.png

AFAIK.. free version is just to confirm that app and your OBD connector will work... nothing more

Well worth the $4.99 IOS/ $4.61 Android cost

With Wifi OBD it is plug and play too.

AFAIK.. free version is just to confirm that app and your OBD connector will work... nothing more

Well worth the $4.99 IOS/ $4.61 Android cost

I already paid for the DashCommand app. Don't feel like paying for another app. What a shame.
Also, if I leave the OBD tool connected the car suffers from some hiccups from time to time, I thought it wasn't related so I stopped using the OBD reader for more than a month. Today I decided to use it and the car threw errors and misfired twice, I will upload a picture. Anyone experienced anything similar with their OBD2 readers?

Upload a pic and link to model you are using...I'm using some pretty generic ELM327 adapters and don't have any issues. As long as one isn't trying to run multiple OBD devices at the same time it should be fairly benign to the car.

Upload a pic and link to model you are using...I'm using some pretty generic ELM327 adapters and don't have any issues. As long as one isn't trying to run multiple OBD devices at the same time it should be fairly benign to the car.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Reading the reviews some people state that the device gets hot (mine does, I assumed it was normal) and that it fried the OBD port and threw CEL all over the place. I'm not going to use it anymore.

I use one of these. $5 or less all day all over the internet. They do not get warm.

Also.. there is no dedicated transmission temp sensor, at least on gen 1 cx-5s. The coolant temperature from ECT No.1 is used as reference since the ATF cooler uses coolant to transfer heat. There are two coolant sensors, ECT No.1 and ECT no.2.. #1 is on the right side of the engine behind the air hose.. the second is connected into the water pump assembly.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I use one of these. $5 or less all day all over the internet. They do not get warm.

Also.. there is no dedicated transmission temp sensor, at least on gen 1 cx-5s. The coolant temperature from ECT No.1 is used as reference since the ATF cooler uses coolant to transfer heat. There are two coolant sensors, ECT No.1 and ECT no.2.. #1 is on the right side of the engine behind the air hose.. the second is connected into the water pump assembly.

s-l1600.jpg

On the 2016 with the Forscan App you can get two separate readings, coolant temp and trans temp. They spit out different values so I'm guessing there is a dedicated trans temp sensor for the later models. This app is dedicated to Mazda and Ford and has parameters not offered by other apps like Torque. The Torque app will show trans temp reading, but it seems to be paired with the engine cooling reading, that is it won't give you the actual trans temp reading.

Last edited:
On my '15 I can get a 10-12 degree F spread towing a trailer hard on a hill.... if it is using the two different coolant sensors then my Forscan install is using #1 for ATF and showing coolant reading from #2.

On a side note...this may not be applicable to anything one needs to read on a CX-5 but I had to pick up a legite ELM 327 with a real 2.0+ firmware to read some of the modules like TPMS in my GX. This may help if you need full module read anything on a Toyota product. Support of OBD Fusion said the following about my GX--->

"The TPMS modules uses a protocol that not all generic ELM327 adapters can access. An ELM327 adapter that supports the genuine ELM v2.0 or newer command set is required to access that module..... be aware that most of the non-genuine ELM adapters will advertise a version that really isn*t 2.0 or later. An adapter that uses the genuine ELM chip would be the best option."This company sells one, but they are not located in the US: https://elm-327.eu/elm_wifi
We are working with the OBDLink manufacturer to get them to update their adapters for ELM v.2.0 support. Their adapters are firmware upgradable and hopefully they will have an update soon."

I bought the one from Romania above and it gave me full access to all modules like a Toyota Techstream install for at least read only access. I don't think the same issue exists with Forscan and modules on the CX-5.

If someone has come across something they can't read let me know and I will try out this ELM adapter to see if works.

On an 80 degree day I'll see the trans temp cooler than than engine for about the first 5 miles (flat terrain) after initial startup from cold, then eventually it'll run a few degrees hotter for the next 10. Stays amazingly stable.

On my '15 I can get a 10-12 degree F spread towing a trailer hard on a hill.... if it is using the two different coolant sensors then my Forscan install is using #1 for ATF and showing coolant reading from #2.
So for gen-1 CX-5 theres no true ATF temperature sensor, but two coolant temperature sensors at different location displayed as engine coolant and ATF temperatures by Forscan App?

Has to be a trans temp sensor somewhere, this is out of a 2013 service manual, the manual makes numerous references to trans temps

attachment.php

Attachments

• trans temp.jpg
    trans temp.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 1,657
I assume it would be onboard the valve body itself within the AT if not a separate sensor.

I've also been looking around at AT rebuild documentation. It is listed as---> FW6A-EL

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/mm5/graphics/Catalog-pdf/FW6A-EL.pdf

I thought I saw 3 different M-MDS temp sensors listed in FSM in regards to that ECM with #465 i diagram above.
Thanks for digging into the service manual for these information. So we can assume Forscan App displays ture ATF temperature, while some other apps such as Torque App displays fake ATF temperature by using coolant temperature data as both temperatures shown always the same.

Back