Anyone found an OBD2 phone app that will read transmission fluid temp?

IIRC... oil pressure is just the idiot light switch no specific pressure data.

Thanks.

Daggone it.

I mused in my other post whether this was just a "Close the switch on low pressure" switch.

Last edited:
I pulled my my boat and trailer (~1000 lbs) over pass this morning. I pushed her hard in the 75MPH range on some steep grades. Peak AT temp got up to around 208F (~97.77C). It normally ran in the 190s and about a 15 degree spread between the coolant and AT fluid as things heated up. That temp is still fine with this synthetic AT fluid.

I pulled my my boat and trailer (~1000 lbs) over pass this morning. I pushed her hard in the 75MPH range on some steep grades. Peak AT temp got up to around 208F (~97.77C). It normally ran in the 190s and about a 15 degree spread between the coolant and AT fluid as things heated up. That temp is still fine with this synthetic AT fluid.

Did you notice if the AT Temp tracked right with the coolant temp for an extended period of time? Did the AT Temp only rise when above that level when you put stress on the tranny?

Both temps have tracked 100% in synch with each other on my car, but I have not towed anything with it. After a while, you worry that they're reading from the same sensor/computer output.

Mine is always a few degrees apart when there isn't a load and then noticeably rose during heavy load. It's obvious on mine there are different sensors being polled.

IMO: If you are seeing 100% sync with coolant you are not likely reading the AT temp probe but coolant.

What software/hardware are you using?

I was using OBDLink today with their OBD adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

41sckqj46LL.jpg

I was going to post a graph but I still had the log area setup to capture AT data for my GX 460. Maybe next time.

Another example during recent AT fluid swaps.. coolant warms up far faster than the AT. AT temp will be too cold still if you are using coolant as 122F temp indicator.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...ssion-fluid-change-without-filter-replacement

Mine is always a few degrees apart when there isn't a load and then noticeably rose during heavy load. It's obvious on mine there are different sensors being polled.

IMO: If you are seeing 100% sync with coolant you are not likely reading the AT temp probe but coolant.

What software/hardware are you using?

I was using OBDLink today with their OBD adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

41sckqj46LL.jpg

I was going to post a graph but I still had the log area setup to capture AT data for my GX 460. Maybe next time.

Another example during recent AT fluid swaps.. coolant warms up far faster than the AT. AT temp will be too cold still if you are using coolant as 122F temp indicator.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...ssion-fluid-change-without-filter-replacement

I have an OBDLink LX bluetooth and TorquePro.

In fact, I'm playing with the dash setup right now, trying to figure out how to set the scale on the gauges. I set the coolant max at 280, but it inserts one more increment labeled at minus 40. I have the same thing with the oil temp gauge, except the markings go negative on the entire right hand side of the dial. Makes no sense for default setup on temp gauges to do that.

I guess it's possible the trans temp is pulling from the same sensor/data point as the engine coolant, but the PID is labeled Trans Temp. I'm still on a learning curve, and the available Help data is lacking.

I haven't used Torque in a while.

You might want to test out the free OBDLink that comes with OBDLinkMX+ and loaded up the free Mazda add-ons within the app.

Android - OBD Link

IOS - OBD Link

"Transmission Fluid Temperature" will show up under: Network A ---> Transmission Control Module

I need to play around and see if the "Torque Converter Lockup State" will display. It does on my other vehicles.

I haven't used Torque in a while.

You might want to test out the free OBDLink that comes with OBDLinkMX+ and loaded up the free Mazda add-ons within the app.

Android - OBD Link

IOS - OBD Link

"Transmission Fluid Temperature" will show up under: Network A ---> Transmission Control Module

I need to play around and see if the "Torque Converter Lockup State" will display. It does on my other vehicles.

Thanks for that.

I've loaded the app on a 7" tablet so I can have the larger display (versus a Smartphone) as an "extended dash," and I'm trying to get the apps to load on the 64gb SD Card I installed. They install such a small amount of memory on these things with no way to upgrade it. After I get that figured out, I can install a variety of these apps and see which works best...or maybe a combination of them will cover everything.

I like the reverse-display HUD feature TorquePro has. It can see using it regularly at night..

Out of curiosity, why are you interested in the "Torque Converter Lockup State"? I just looked at my TorquePro. That PID is not in it, but there are no Mazda-specific PIDs in this app.

I want to see if in lockup state there is some AT cooling from what I am familiar with in other vehicles.

To add in the Enhanced Diagnostics in OBD Link/Fusion:

Settings - Get Extras

Forscan app should work for this as well. https://forscan.org/home.html

I want to see if in lockup state there is some AT cooling from what I am familiar with in other vehicles.

To add in the Enhanced Diagnostics in OBD Link/Fusion:

Settings - Get Extras

Forscan app should work for this as well. https://forscan.org/home.html

I installed the OBD app without any problems. I looked at "Extras" and see that they don't have PIDs for the 2019 Mazdas yet. I gotta call Customer Service and see when they anticipate a release date. The standard SAE PIDs don't have oil temp or tranny temp. Not sure what other Mazda measurements might be available in a specific PID set.

Just to follow up: I went on OBDLink's User Forum and saw that as of last week, they are waiting to get data from Mazda so they can build the PID Set for 2019. No ETA was given.

If OBDLink offers a full complement of Mazda PIDs, I believe I can port them over to TorquePro and keep that slick interface.

So been researching on changing my trans fluid and came across this thread because I need to be able to see the temp to get the right level etc. I purchased the bafx OBDII, but haven't had any luck with any apps yet. Forscan seems to be Fordsys lite maybe? OBDlink seems to only work with its products. Are there any free ones that someone can confirm out these days just to read the trans temp? Torque Pro is now 5.99/week i think and maybe used to be a one time fee from what I read.

I have the 4 qts of the Mazda FZ oil and just want to do a drain/fill. I have a 2015 CX-5 AWD.

Thanks

So been researching on changing my trans fluid and came across this thread because I need to be able to see the temp to get the right level etc. I purchased the bafx OBDII, but haven't had any luck with any apps yet. Forscan seems to be Fordsys lite maybe? OBDlink seems to only work with its products. Are there any free ones that someone can confirm out these days just to read the trans temp? Torque Pro is now 5.99/week i think and maybe used to be a one time fee from what I read.

I have the 4 qts of the Mazda FZ oil and just want to do a drain/fill. I have a 2015 CX-5 AWD.

Thanks
Forscan is still called Forscan (lite for the phone version) but I don't think it's available on the Google app store. You can download it on their website though, at least on androids.

I installed it a couple weeks ago and it works with Vgate vLinker device. Transmission fluid temp is available as "TFT" on there. I just checked my ATF level yesterday using Forscan

Thanks

I have bafx OBDII it works with Androids only as well as Window laptops. They might have removed the google store app because of the russian sanctions. See the post above how to get it.
The free android forscan version can show only 1 live parameter. Its under transmission category - TFT as it was mentioned.
The free windows Forscan can show all params at the same time.
My bafx does not work with Iphones. May be its old version I dont know.

Forscan is still called Forscan (lite for the phone version) but I don't think it's available on the Google app store. You can download it on their website though, at least on androids.

I installed it a couple weeks ago and it works with Vgate vLinker device. Transmission fluid temp is available as "TFT" on there. I just checked my ATF level yesterday using Forscan
Ah ok. I went to their site and the OBD I have is I guess based on ELM327 which they don't recommend but might still work so I'll give it a try. If not I may just return this one and get one they recommend.

Ah ok. I went to their site and the OBD I have is I guess based on ELM327 which they don't recommend but might still work so I'll give it a try. If not I may just return this one and get one they recommend.
Yeah, the reviews on ELM327 style devices indicate Forscan works with some but not others which is why I decided to order the Vgate vLinker they have listed on their website as it wasn't to expensive and I just wanted it to work.

OBD Fusion is the version you can use with any adapter. Make sure you purchase the model/make expansion pack as well. This is done within the app.

OBD Link is the one used with just their adapter.... it also included "all" model and make expansion packs so if you use on a lot of different vehicles it can quickly pay for itself.

Both products are from same company/developer

You checked the ATF LEVEL or the ATF TEMP with Forscan?

I'd love to know how to check the level if that's what you did.

You checked the ATF LEVEL or the ATF TEMP with Forscan?

I'd love to know how to check the level if that's what you did
Oh, yeah my wording was misleading.

I checked the temp so that the dipstick was accurate. I wish it the car had a a ATF and engine oil level sensors.

Back