Pros and cons of the CX-5

FYI, I re-did my 0-60 test after suspecting (and using my "current MPG" to determine variance existing going both directions on the road) that my last test was done on a slight incline. Also, this was done with 5 gallons in the tank instead of a full tank. I chose a different location which gave similar "current MPG" readings going either direction on said section of road, which is as good as I can do for keeping things "level". Lots of sloped roads where I live. This time I nailed the projected/reviewed 0-60 rating for my vehicle.

Looks like 7.4-7.8 seconds 0-60 to me, which is exactly what it should be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNNF8PdrnfA

Last edited:
OP:

When we were looking the Toyota dealer suggested we try to drive everything we could TODAY so comparisons would be in real time. Fair enough. We all ready had plenty of time in with Honda, Chevy, and 3 Subarus, so we drove everything else available locally, ~ 10 vehicles total.

The comparison quickly whittled down to Toyota, Mazda and BMW. Honda, Nissan and Subaru, Chevy, GMC, Kia, blah, blah were not in contention due to CVT's a horrible engineering solution to squeezing a few tenths of MPG or mushy handling or punky performance or whatever. Here's were the difference lies.

If your interest is the drive then Mazda wins hands down, there is no comparison to anything else available except BMW at significant more $$$. If your interest is in comfort, technology and infotainment then what others offer maybe more interesting to you.

We're old school. Our families used to cross Nevada at night because our Dads old 60's and 70's hotrods would overheat with the AC on in the daytime. We like stout, responsive suspension, decent acceleration and tight cornering. SWMBO is an old hippy and loves to jam her cars down the road, into corners and make the dang thing work for her. The CX-5 is, well unreal in that regard.

She would rather have a stick and a clutch to an auto, but folks that can multitask a stick seem to be a dieing breed. The double clutch 6spd is an intersting alternative, I am even getting used to the idea. CVT's suck.

She could care less about a plush ride if the seats fit her booty. The CX-5 is NOT a plush ride. The CX-5 has a ride for drivers NOT passengers. The seats fit her booty, she's happy. The BMW was her favorite drive, but for the money there wasn't even a dimes difference to her in the Mazda. So we drove home a Mazda.

Pros: If a CUV to you is about the drive - Mazda. BMW is the only alternative.

Cons: If a CUV to you is about the cushy ride, technology, comfort then you should look elsewhere. Plenty to pick from.

Last edited:
Back