2016 CX-5 and Canoes

phabsch

:
2016 CX-5
I'm curious what other people are using to mount a canoe to their CX-5?

I just picked up my 2016 GS yesterday with OEM roof rack and cross bars. I haven't tried yet, but it doesn't look like they will be too useful for mounting a 16' canoe. It looks like they would be too far back to balance the weight.

I see that Thule offers a mount for the 2015 CX-5, but nothing for 2016 yet.

Also, what anchor points are available? I was thinking of using the towing hooks/eyelet, but to my surprise, the hooks aren't supplied and the manual states that they are only to be used for vehicle transport (i.e. delivery on the truck).

Looking under the front I see a lot of plastic with not much metal exposed.
I'm sure I can find something if I take a closer look, but it would be nice to know what other people have been doing?

I am carrying two 16' kayaks on Thule bars using the Mazda roof rails, and I am using the front tow hook to attach them. I have done multiple 200km+ trip without any issues. I am surprised the tow hooks are not included, I got three in mine, short, medium long.

attachment.php

I'm curious what other people are using to mount a canoe to their CX-5?
... I see that Thule offers a mount for the 2015 CX-5, but nothing for 2016 yet.
Don't know too much on mounting canoe on CX-5, but you can get the mount designed for 2015 CX-5 and it should be totally compatible.

Also, what anchor points are available? I was thinking of using the towing hooks/eyelet, but to my surprise, the hooks aren't supplied and the manual states that they are only to be used for vehicle transport (i.e. delivery on the truck).
Yeah Mazda has decided taking out these eyelets for 2016 CX-5. But I ordered these to fill these two empty slots on the platform around the spare tire. They are expensive though and here are the part numbers:

KD53-50-EJ1B Hook, Towing $29.29 (List) for front (long)
KD53-50-EJ2B Hook, Towing $19.80 (List) for rear (short)

Personally I'd think these eyelets should be strong enough to tie down your canoe as it can tie down the whole CX-5 during the transportation. Just make sure the eyelets are securely installed.

Personally I'd think these eyelets should be strong enough to tie down your canoe as it can tie down the whole CX-5 during the transportation. Just make sure the eyelets are securely installed.

They are plenty strong to use as tie-downs. The reason the manual recommends against it is, in the event of a frontal impact, the eyelets will cause the front end to fold prematurely which reduces the amount of energy that can be absorbed before the integrity of the passenger compartment is breached.

I didn't know the eyelets weren't included. I noticed the empty slots for them when buying the car and asked the dealer where they were. He said he didn't know but he'd find them. A bit later two tow hooks, a short and a long one were on the desk. Is there a thrird length?

Thanks everyone for your replies! I will contact the dealer to see if they can get me a set of hooks, but I'll also take a closer look to see if there are any other anchor points that I can use without removing the plastic cover on the body.

Hopefully the stock cross bars are wide enough to accommodate the canoe, it would make things cheaper.

Tie-downs...

They are plenty strong to use as tie-downs. The reason the manual recommends against it is, in the event of a frontal impact, the eyelets will cause the front end to fold prematurely which reduces the amount of energy that can be absorbed before the integrity of the passenger compartment is breached.

I wouldn't think someone would drive around with the tie-down hooks attached to their vehicle. To me, not only would it be dumb to do, but it would also make the vehicle look stupid... as well as the driver.

CX5T Lover

Just thought I'd post an update with my solution.

My canoe was too wide to fit on the flat part of the standard cross bars. I figured I'd buy a third party set which are wider. I tried SportRack SR-1009 and they didn't actually fit. Their fitting guide indicated that it works with the factory rack for 2013-2015 models, and all I can find indicate that the 2016 uses the same model of rack. Strange.

Anyways, I just put the canoe right on top of the cross bars. The canoe shifted to one side, but was stable anyways.

For tie down points, I picked up some hood tie downs: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/hood-trunk-tie-down-0792477p.html
They worked great.

For the back, I just found a few holes under the frame and hooked in to them. Here are some pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMG_20150823_173123.jpg
IMG_20150823_173132.jpg
IMG_20150823_173143.jpg
IMG_20150823_173154.jpg

Last edited:
Tie downs. Our 2016 CX-5 was bought new without the shipping tie down eyelets, same as everyone else. We took a 4 hr. trip on the interstate with two kayaks and here is how we tied them down. Go to your local Home Depot and purchase (2) - 3/4"x6" hex bolts and (1)-3/4"x8" hex bolt. Also pick up 6 or 8 3/4" nuts. My total cost ran $14. The 3/4" bolts will thread into where the original shipping eyelets were located - (2) on the rear and (1) on the front. There will be a little "wiggle" room so you need to tighten them up with the nuts. I put (2) on the inside of each rear bolt and one on the outside. Use a large crescent or pipe wrench to tighten them up. I put some duct tape on the inside set just in case they wanted to rattle loose. You won't be able to access the "interior" of the front bolt so I just put two nuts on and tightened it against the chassis. They will feel as though they were welded on when you're finished if you've done it properly. Once the kayaks have been lashed down to the bolts, the bolts are not going to turn anyway, but I wasn't so sure about the nuts. Drove 8 hrs. up to Maine and back and they didn't budge a thread. Attached should be four photos: one shows the rear pair; a close-up of one of the rear bolts; a close-up of the front bolt; a photo of all three bolts on a workbench.
http://i66.tinypic.com/2zxz5vm.jpg[/IMG]
2amhsm.jpg
24awt50.jpg
16byf4j.jpg

Last edited:
Back