Have a CX-5 - what should we get as our 2nd car?

well guys, made the decision this weekend and ended up buying a new '15 Accord v6 yesterday.
Congrats, Accord is a fine choice.
So you prefer more power than fuel economy. Yeah, Accord is a fine car. You'll pay more gas money for a V6. And remember to prepare some extra cash and replace your timing belt according to Honda's maintenance schedule! (boom07)

So you prefer more power than fuel economy. Yeah, Accord is a fine car. You'll pay more gas money for a V6. And remember to prepare some extra cash and replace your timing belt according to Honda's maintenance schedule! (boom07)

hehe, yeah definitely sacrificed fuel economy for power. And yes, I'm mindful of the timing belt issue.

Really though, while the 6 is a nice car, the Accord just felt a little more polished all over. And honestly, since I plan on keeping both of these cars (the CX-5 and the Accord) for a long time, it made me a little nervous to have two Mazdas with the exact same engine/platform. While the Skyactiv has been great so far, it is relatively unproven in the grand scheme. What if 5 or 6 years from now we find out these engines start failing or having some serious flaws - my wife and I would be doubly screwed. Paranoid thinking, I know, but the Accord just felt like a safer choice in that respect.

In any event, I don't begrudge anyone who chooses a Mazda 6 - they're great cars too.

hehe, yeah definitely sacrificed fuel economy for power. And yes, I'm mindful of the timing belt issue.
Really though, while the 6 is a nice car, the Accord just felt a little more polished all over. And honestly, since I plan on keeping both of these cars (the CX-5 and the Accord) for a long time, it made me a little nervous to have two Mazdas with the exact same engine/platform. While the Skyactiv has been great so far, it is relatively unproven in the grand scheme. What if 5 or 6 years from now we find out these engines start failing or having some serious flaws - my wife and I would be doubly screwed. Paranoid thinking, I know, but the Accord just felt like a safer choice in that respect.
In any event, I don't begrudge anyone who chooses a Mazda 6 - they're great cars too.
As automakers are forced to meet CAFE standard, they are using every possible way to improve fuel economy. We as the consumers have to use our own judgment to distinguish which new technology is more reliable and less problematic. If you're worried about SkyActiv engines, then you should also worry about your Honda V6 with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) unless you bought an Accord Coupe V6 which has no VCM. Honda just settled a massive class-action lawsuit brought against its V6 with VCM which might experience engine misfire, excessive oil burning and premature spark plug fouling issues. VCM, or cylinder de-activation system, had been used by GM in 80's and failed miserably. The theory is flawed because if you leave the valves closed for disabled cylinder, you still need energy to compress the air or create vacuum. If you leave the valve open, fuel , fresh sir, and exhaust will get sucked into the disabled cylinder. Even with newer computer controlled system like Honda's VCM, I just don't see how can you overcome these catch-22 situation. Because cylinder de-activation system is flawed, Honda is the only one still stick to its guns and using it. Class action lawsuit for the problems is imminent. No wonder Honda is lagging behind on sales in the world in recent years. They spent money to the wrong directions. If I were Honda, I'll spend money on changing the timing belt to timing chain, and hiring top-gunner to design better looking cars. Not just wasting money on problematic VCM and CVT!

Back