Jumping Fuel Pump Relay?

So my P5 randomly died while driving and now wont start. I'm suspecting fuel pump as i dont hear it humming from the gas tank when i switch the key to on. (Although, admittedly I can't say I ever heard it when my car was running, but i never particularly tried either) So I've ordered a new fuel pump, fuel pump housing/filter, and a new fuel pump relay. The pump and the housing will arrive today. The relay will take another couple days.
My question is, is there anyway to jumper the relay pins so that if after i install the pump (hopefully this afternoon) my car still wont run, i can run a quick test and see if it will start? That way ill know if i just need to hang tight and wait for the relay, or if i need to start looking at other solutions. I know we just did it on my buddy's TDI, and it seems the same concept would apply. I'm just not sure how to go about doing it. Any help would be appreciated.

Ha...same thing I've been battling with for about 2 months now. If you're curious, you can read my overly-detailed saga a few threads down:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847050-P5-Won-t-Start-amp-Rough-Idle

I switched out the fuel pump as well, but that didn't fix the issue (not starting and stalling). My local Mazda dealer was able to trace it to the fuel pump relay. They were able to jump the relay pins with their equipment while they had the relay off. Relay will be in tomorrow at the shop and they'll run more tests once it's in to see if that's indeed what was causing my issues.

Last edited:
No big, at least i know its possible now! Anyone? I'm about to head to the parking lot my car is currently in to try and swap the pump out. Hope it works!

Back