Cx-5 MPG keeps getting better and better!

MikeM.

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD 2.0L
This is excellent! I just returned from a trip over the North Cascades and when I filled up it took 13.581 gallons (still had over 1.5 gallons left) and I traveled 517 miles for an average MPG of 38.2 mpg! That beats my previous best tank of 507 miles. This was with the OEM 17" tires at 36 psi, no engine/chassis mods, and a passenger/dog/luggage weight of about 575 lbs. over 4 steep mountain passes and full A/C until we got west of the pass. No other AWD with so much room can touch these figures.

I really like the range this car has - less time spent at the pump and more time and money left over to sample the beer along the way! The engine and transmission feel as silky smooth and solid as ever and not once did it feel underpowered on the steeper passes at 5-6000 feet. It just shifted to 4th and purred right up at 3500 rpm's with power and speed to spare. I think it's time to change the oil with about 7000 miles since the last change (24,000 total).

But these numbers are not quite accurate. Going through two 5 mile odometer check stations it's apparent the odometer is still under-reporting the actual distance traveled by .9%. That means my true distanced covered was 521.6 miles at 38.6 MPG! There was either no wind or very slight head/side winds.

Come on Ford and VW, Kia and all others, it's time to play catch-up!

That's quite good. I enjoyed very similar efficiency (38) on a trip to the Ozarks a couple years ago, probably with similar mileage on the odo. Perhaps a little less. And more importantly, with the horridly noisy, but seeming efficient OE 17" Geolandars.

However, more recently, and with about 40K miles on the odo, a road trip to NOLA wasn't quite as fruitful. That trip netted about 35 MPG. Still, not bad considering my average speed for that trip was over 70 mph. I believe the efficiency loss can be contributed to the wider Yoko YK580s I had installed about 10K miles ago, after I got fed up with the Geolandar tire roar (they were also low anyway).
Wasn't my choice to go a series wider with these new tires. But it's what was available at the time, and pressed for time (and patience) I bought them.

Anyway, what was your average speed? Unless I missed it...

... I just returned from a trip over the North Cascades and when I filled up it took 13.581 gallons (still had over 1.5 gallons left) and I traveled 517 miles for an average MPG of 38.2 mpg! That beats my previous best tank of 507 miles.
Glad to see someone can reach such a good MPG with Mazda's SkyActiv Technology! I can tell your 2013 CX-5 AWD has 2.0L gasoline engine which should have better MPG than current 2.5L. But your fuel efficiency is indeed impressive no matter what!

Anyway, what was your average speed? Unless I missed it...

I kept it between 50 and 65, most often 55-60. There was also a bit of driving through small towns.

I really haven't noticed the Geolanders are loud. The noise does increase with speed but the wind noise from the mirrors, windshield and door/window features seems to drown out any actual tire noise except perhaps on the most highly textured road surfaces. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of the Geolanders although I do think they are amazing in being somewhat competent at everything from gravel, heavy rain, wet clay, smooth pavement, braking, cornering, etc. while lasting longer than they have any right to considering their grip is reasonably good. And they don't appear prone to wearing unevenly. They are very practical and easy to get along with tires but they excel at nothing. So I'll be glad when it's time to get something with a better corner grip/feel at the expense of longevity.

Back