2016 CX5 Stereo build

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT
I saw one person with a 10" sub in the back but I don't think that was in a 2016 CX5? Here is the start of mine. Taped up the back corner ready to lay down some fiberglass tomorrow. If you have a build in yours can you post up a link for me to see? Thanks for looking. I will post up progress when I can.
tape.jpg

fiberglass.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps you can explain something to me I don't understand...

Why make a custom box for the left side instead of the right? The rear light is on the left side... as well as the rear BCM. Wouldn't it be easier to do it on the right side?

Ops, sorry gary, you might be right there is a light there I think. I was so involved with masking it I didn't notice it. I have decided to do both sides. There was a 12V accessory on the right side so that is why I chose to do the left side.

There was a guy on the m3revolution forum who did the same; I'll see if I can find him. I opted to have a custom box built in the place of the spare wheel. IDK how much that rear trim will cost to replace if I decided to trade the car in (which I did).

There was a guy on the m3revolution forum who did the same; I'll see if I can find him. I opted to have a custom box built in the place of the spare wheel. IDK how much that rear trim will cost to replace if I decided to trade the car in (which I did).

Do you have any pics of the spare tire box that you had built? Did it remove the spare or work in conjunction with it? I currently have an 8" kicker sub and small amp in my protege5 that I build the rear box for, like the OP. I'm debating whether or not I should sell it with the car or try to install it somehow in the CX-5. The bose system and the wiring has me a little nervous to do so. I'll be closely following this thread for sure!

More, more, more!!! Looking really good so far. Keep it up. Just a question though, do you on trimming the fiberglass way back? As it is right now it looks like it would be covering up the seat release levers.

Sorry been really busy and haven't been on here for awhile. I trimmed the pieces where the cut line of the interior is. I precisely measured out the air space and a lot of air space is needed for my woofers which is a bummer because to get the proper space I will have to use that cavity above the wheel well. I have the fiberglass boxes out of the car and molded now, but decided I need that little extra space above the wheel well and cut that part off. I plan on stuff it with poly fill to make up for the loss space. I have a bunch more images that I need to upload and will try to do it in the next couple of days. Right now the ring is made, fleece and resin is applied. I just need to sand it down.

Are these going to hold 10" subs? I am thinking of doing something similar but using a single shallow mount Kicker 8" sub. I don't want it to protrude into the cargo area at all.

Ride92, they are going to hold 10" woofers. 8" might fit a little better. Depending on which woofers you use, you will still need a fair amount of air space or poly fill. That corner is really not that big "airspace wise". Post up what you build. I'd love to see it.

Ride92, they are going to hold 10" woofers. 8" might fit a little better. Depending on which woofers you use, you will still need a fair amount of air space or poly fill. That corner is really not that big "airspace wise". Post up what you build. I'd love to see it.

Good job Audioguru[emoji106] I plan on something similar soon, so keep us posted! I know making a molding of the back of the trim is easier, but did you consider taking the whole plastic trim off and making a one piece sub box and trim? That empty air behind it all the way to the rear quarter panel will give you a lot more air space.

What is the resin and stuff that you're using? I've never seen black fiberglass like that before. Is it just dyed or a different product? If it's a different product is it easier to work with then regular fiberglass?

Thanks Skorpio, That is a good idea, but if you ever did any type of fiberglass work, it is messy. I think If I had thought about that earlier, I still wouldn't do it. But if someone did do it, I'd understand why. Nice thinking outside of the box though.

What is the resin and stuff that you're using? I've never seen black fiberglass like that before. Is it just dyed or a different product? If it's a different product is it easier to work with then regular fiberglass?

It is dye. We use that because I have seen the regular fiberglass have splits, spaces, cracks or whatever. When it is the natural color it is very hard to see all the weaknesses. With it colored you can see what is covered and what is not. I learned this trick from a VIP builder here in the bay area. Carlin from Impact Performance. Check them out if you are in the Bay Area and need a system built. The build some nice stuff.

If you come to LA, stop by and I let you hear it. Read reviews about it. I have picked it up brand new from craigslist, from a wholesaler for $200.

Back