How-to, 4Pot Brembo BBK on cheapish...

ap123

:
03 Mazda Protege5
How-to, 4Pot Brembo BBK on cheapish...

Intro
The EVO8/9 brakes are almost direct bolt-on on our cars. They fit very well but not perfect. There is about 5-7mm of wasted pad surface. It could be fixed with a larger rotor but over all they will function 100%. A few Mazdaspeed6 guys have been running them for some time with great results. Depending on the deals you get, you can do this upgrade for $500-$700 bucks. Not bad considering 4pot kits normally run between $2k-$3k!!!

1. Shopping list:

Required:

EVO8/9 calipers, Make sure they come with hardware and caliper bolts. A used option is best.
Caution with cheap new calipers or cheap rebuilds they may be FAKES!

EVO8/9 Brake pads

Evo8/9 Rotors, OEM Evo rotors DO NOT fit. Buy Centric or Stoptech Rotors. They are a direct fit.

2mm wheel spacer or equivalent, will go more into detain in instructions.
-I bought 3mm hub-centric spacer, took them to the machine shop and had the id/od matched with the rotor and thinned down to 1.90mm. That is a perfect spec. According to my measurements 3mm will end up rubbing on the outside of the caliper.

2Qts of Brake-fluid Dot3/4

Large enough wheels to clear the calipers. I have Enkei GTC01 17X8.5 +35

Recommend:

Front and Rear SS brake hoses, Use hoses made for the protege they work will with the Brembos.

Caliper paint - Black for sleeper status

New decals

2. Prepare:
Clean, paint, and install new decals.
Once you are done you can stare at their magnificence

3. Get to work:
Make sure you have a lot of time to do the job before you begin

If upgrading Brake lines, spray where they attach with some penetrating oil. Let them soak while you work.
Remove your old calipers and rotors. Wait to remove caliper from brake line until you test the wheel clearance.
Now that everything is out of the way you will need to file off about .5mm of material from the lower caliper hole on the knuckle.

2py9x5j.jpg

Test fit your caliper, Stare at the awesomeness.
Remove Caliper
fkuyb6.jpg

Place 2mm Spacer BEHIND (before installing) the rotor. The rotor needs to be pushed out so it lines up correctly inside the caliper.If no spacer is used the rotor will drag on the caliper.
Install rotor. Place wheel nuts to hold the rotor back, this will make installing the caliper easier.
Install caliper. Check wheel clearance. Torque caliper bolts to 80 ft-lb +-7ft-lb. Do not over tighten or risk damaging the caliper.
25zjbps.jpg

riwvv8.jpg

Install brake pads. Nothing fancy. Install one pin, then place the hold down clip, install second pin. Takes like two minutes.

Install SS Brake Hose

Repeat all the steps on the other side

Install Rear SS brake hoses

You will need to bleed the entire brake system:
1. Rear Right
2. Rear Left
3. Front Right Outer
4. Front Right Inner
5. Front Left Outer
6. Front Left Inner
Repeat as needed.

Install wheels, torque lug nuts to 72ft-lbs

And you're done! Enjoy your Bad Ass Brembos!
33aw10j.jpg

Last edited:
Great info. Thanks for the write-up.
What size tire are you running? Are you rubbing ( with a +35 offset ), did you roll your fenders?

Great info. Thanks for the write-up.
What size tire are you running? Are you rubbing ( with a +35 offset ), did you roll your fenders?

i am running 245 45 17 tires, and they took alot of rolling, pulling, and swearing to get them to fit. Also i had to set my ride height close to stock, slightly lower. I do rub a bit on really big bumps.

I got my full Willwood 4 piston calipers, rotors, pads, braided lines, and brackets specifically for our car for less then $1k shipped from Revolution brakes. Id feel bad for the people spending triple that amount. http://store.revolutionbrake.com/14-0007d.html

That Willwood kit is a great option at a very reasonable price.
i was thinking about buying them but I am on a budge, so i was like screw it ill give this ago.
I saved about $500 bucks compared to the equivalent Willwood kit you linked, for me thats a lot of money i can put toward something else.
I know the actual brembo kit they used to make for our cars went for +$3000 and the stoptech's go for around $1700-$2000.

I also liked the idea that with evo brakes i can use off the self parts. If i need a replacement part i know some store will have them in stock, and i can get it quickly. It also crossed my mind that our aftermarket support is generally really low. I am afraid the kit will go discontinued, or the company may go under. If that happens you're SOL... At lest thats my reasoning, I could be wrong.

So far i my only complaint is pedal feel, which can happen with any large calipers. I am trying to get a little more info on the 93 929 master cylinder upgrade. Im hoping that will bring the feel back to stock or better.

will the MSP rims fit ?
I don't know for sure, but looking at the specs my guess is no they will not clear the calipers. Maybe with some pretty large spacers.

Last edited:
Is there any way to measure what size may be needed?

Ehh... I can try to take some measurements next time i take the wheels off. Maybe in week if i can figure out this master cylinder upgrade thing. But i don't have msp wheels so it will be a very rough estimate. I don't want anyone getting pissed off if i get it wrong though...

Ehh... I can try to take some measurements next time i take the wheels off. Maybe in week if i can figure out this master cylinder upgrade thing. But i don't have msp wheels so it will be a very rough estimate. I don't want anyone getting pissed off if i get it wrong though...

I understand. It's not a cut and dried solution. I don't even have MSP wheels I have MP3's. I bet it's going to come out as 20-25mm spacers. Just give it your best shot for a ballpark.

I might give this a try. but how to know if your getting legit calipers or not is the question. just combing ebay gives results from $375-$600. still cheaper than a BBK or likely trying to source new mazda 6 calipers and brackets ect. definitely something to look into as the msp will need new brakes, now that ive pilfered them bwaha.

Hum, I have first gen speed 6 calipers on my msp had to use the calipers and you need the parking brake cables from the 6 as well. But they all fit.uploadfromtaptalk1431851810940.jpg I put my old Rotor on top for comparisonuploadfromtaptalk1431851896843.jpg

Why they wont fit.what is different?

It makes no sense to me that 'A' brand rotor for application 'X' is different than 'B' brand rotor for the same application 'X'.

They are both for the same application, why do they not fit?

Where did you get the 2mm spacer at? I have trouble finding one for the 5x114. And does it have to be hub centric? BTW thank you for sharing. Was waiting for someone to do a write up about this.
I also wonder why other rotors won't work since they all the same spec.....

Really wanting to do this. But can't find 2mm spacer in our bolt pattern. Will a 3mm work? There is a group buy with hubcentric and all.

Where did you get the 2mm spacer at? I have trouble finding one for the 5x114. And does it have to be hub centric? BTW thank you for sharing. Was waiting for someone to do a write up about this.
I also wonder why other rotors won't work since they all the same spec.....

I could not find any spacers ether. I bought 3mm hub-centric spacer, took them to the machine shop and had the id/od matched with the rotor and thinned down to 1.90mm. That is a perfect spec. According to my measurements 3mm will end up rubbing on the outside of the caliper.

It makes no sense to me that 'A' brand rotor for application 'X' is different than 'B' brand rotor for the same application 'X'.

They are both for the same application, why do they not fit?

aye aye captain i agree it makes no sense. I honestly couldn't tell you for sure, but according the mazdaspeed6 forums the oem rotor has a smaller id and they had to get it made bigger to get it to work. i guess the aftermarket one is made a little bigger... the point is if you want to avoid any potential headaches just get centric or stoptech rotors. if you happen to get the whole package together with oem rotors let us know if it works.

Maybe it's just perspective but those rotors look smaller than stock MS6 rotors.

evo8/9 rotors are the same diameter as speed6 rotors but they are 10mm wider if i remember correctly.

Last edited:
Back