2016 CX5 LED headlights

2017 CX5 LED headlights

I'll try to observe again. But even in auto mode, it still doesn't turn on even when moving.
I observed the same in Taiwan. The headlights aren't on with LED Signature DRLs while the vehicle is moving on 2017 CX-5.

One of the vast number of regional variations. Mine brings the headlights in when the switch is in the off or auto position but not in the sidelight position. Putting the parking brake on, undoing a seatbelt of opening a door turns it off.

IF LED: Entire assembly has to be replaced and it's approx. $800. Lights - out, cracked, something else wrong: entire ASSY.

@Anchorman: You're correct. I just checked the invoice, I had to replace 1. Its approx. $1100 and that's just the headlights. Labor was zero for me as I did it myself.

IF LED: Entire assembly has to be replaced and it's approx. $800. Lights - out, cracked, something else wrong: entire ASSY.
Is that part only, or inclusive of labor?
$800 for a $2016 LED headlight assembly is definitely too low. See current price information below. Yeah that's for part only, labor is additional.

Yeah if the cost of replacement on these LED DRLs is similar to incandescent or halogen bulbs, nobody would complain! But now you're talking about $1,250 list for a single replacement unit of LED headlight for flickering DRLs! With labor Mazda dealer often charges $1,500 for a single LED headlight replacement on something which is supposed to last a lot longer than 2 years!

The only good news out of this is the list prices on latest "J" version of these LED headlights are cheaper now:

UNIT(R) HEAD LAMP - MAZDA CX-5 Right with LED
KA0G-51-031J (Replaces: KA0G-51-031C, KA0G-51-031D, KA0G-51-031G, KA0G-51-031H, KA0G-51-031)
List Price: $1,059.36

UNIT(L) HEAD LAMP - MAZDA CX-5 Left with LED
KA0G-51-041J (Replaces: KA0G-51-041C, KA0G-51-041D, KA0G-51-041G, KA0G-51-041H, KA0G-51-041)
List Price: $1,048.88

Hopefully the problems on LED headlights have been truely fixed after that many revisions during these 2 years ⋯ (nailbyt)

i just had mine replaced on Tuesday under warranty. i saw the billing and it came out to ~$1200 parts plus labor. took 1 hour total and entire LED DRL plus headlight assembly was replaced even though only DRL was not working. btw, this is my 2nd LED headlamp repair under warranty....drivers side unit was replaced last year so both my LEDs required replacement, thankfully under warranty for both.

I thought they were a lot more than $800, I recall just one OEM LED headlight assembly alone ran $1200, not sure.....

Warranty prices don't count. That's the transfer price to the dealer. You pay significantly more. I forgot to look at the price but remind me in the morning and I will.

Well Mazda finally wrote me back!

This is so strange...

0ff5985f0cc52daa1be0513c9a9e7045.jpg

Well Mazda finally wrote me back!

This is so strange...

0ff5985f0cc52daa1be0513c9a9e7045.jpg
This Nelly guy definitely needs more training to familiar with his products. Headlights cant be turned off without disabling DRL function, at least thats the case for your US CX-5. Have you checked what is the DRL setup on 2017 German CX-5?

Just read in owners manual that if LED bulb dies (low/high/drl) the whole headlight unit has to be replaced.
So I'm just wondering, what is the expected life of LED lights?
Anyone had them replaced?

My driver side DRL stop working. Fortunately it was still under warranty with 6 months to go. The whole headlight assembly was replaced. I know this is not unusual and I hope it does not happen after warranty. Replacement cost is anywhere between 1200 and 1500 dollars. How many others have had this happen? I know LED's last for years and the problem is usually in the external circuitry. Probably a capacitor on the circuit board quit. Hope Mazda has a better replacement than the original.

Last edited:
I have a CX5 and my right, passenger side recently started flickering. The dealership told me $1200+! I had no idea, but in researching on line, it appears this is happening quite a bit to other owners. I'm especially frustrated as I had to drive 400 miles to nearest dealership for recall items and hoped they would fix light under warranty, but I was over by 400 miles! I think all owners having this problem should speak up and inform Mazda of this premature light failure and they should replace as "defective" and/or a recall. I'm also concerned that the light is faulty and only a matter of time before the driver side goes out, and then how long can I expect the replacement to last?

I personally think there is some internal electrical failure that should be addressed by Mazda. And you are correct - appears this is not unusual at all. Mine started flickering just prior to reaching 36,000 mile and I had no idea the cost! My car is a 2016 and in excellent condition - I was only 400 miles over warranty and the dealership wouldn't make an exception and replace - and I had to drive 400 miles to nearest dealership to fix other recall items....

Yeah reach out to Mazda corporate and see if they can help.

Also, I know a lot of people here hate the service department of their dealerships, but this is one instance where having a good relationship with the service department probably would have helped.

Back