2016 CX5 LED headlights

I wouldn't worry. I didn't negotiate, I just told them what I wanted and they took care of everything and put it on a ship for me. I paid for the additional hassle of them coordinating with the broker/customs/shipper, and sending it to me in Germany.

To get back on topic, I had a '16 Touring AWD. The headlight issue presented itself and I was going to go through the headache of getting it done in Germany and then billing Mazda NA (as per a long email chain with Mazda Germany, Europe and USA).

Then the 2017 came out and we just sold it as is and bought the '17 with little fanfare

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Last edited:
so at 60k my driver side is failing like my passenger one. Mazdacare replaced my passenger out of warranty. But would only give me 500 towards a new light, even though they know its a ongoing quality issue... would leave me on the hook for around 700 bucks.. could probably buy some aftermarket headlights for that money.

so at 60k my driver side is failing like my passenger one. Mazdacare replaced my passenger out of warranty. But would only give me 500 towards a new light, even though they know its a ongoing quality issue... would leave me on the hook for around 700 bucks.. could probably buy some aftermarket headlights for that money.
Another LED Signature DRL failure from a 2016 CX-5!

Both of my LED DLR light on my 16GT are defective (flickering, and dimmer) and replaced under warranty.
First is driver side happened March this year, and followed by the passenger side happened this month, I'm only at 28,000 miles.
On the invoice, dealer charges Mazda about $1,000 PER LIGHT... (800+ for the parts 200+ for labor). And yes, you have to replace the whole damn thing.
What's annoying to me is the new LED headlights don't have the same color temperature. Passenger side is noticeable yellower than driver side...

Also the clip under driver's seat never hold in place. Dealer ordered the parts to get this replaced next week...

i have a 2016 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech purchased in 4/2015. my driver-side (left) DRL flickered and went out at ~20k miles about a year ago and was replaced under warranty. my passenger-side DRL has just now gone out at 33.5k miles. bringing it into dealership today to make sure it is replaced under warranty. i would note it is only the DRLs, the headlights themselves have worked fine.

these are the only warranty repairs i have needed for this car and am about to hit 36k miles probably in the late Fall/early Winter.

hmm...
I got the car via the Costco Auto program so invoice + tax, dmv stuff..
I think my out the door price was close to $28,6XX if I did not add extra protection stuff ...
for the 2017 CX-5 Sport AWD (Snowflake White Pearl .. so + $200 )

Maybe living in the SF bay area accustom me to paying a lot for stuff ...
(gah)

Considering a 2017 Sport starts a few thousand more than a 2016.5 Sport, factoring your taxes and fees there in the SF Bay, seems like the number is in line. What was your actual vehicle purchase price?

I noticed today driving in front of my wife that the passenger side DRL is noticeably dimmer then the drivers side.

Ours is a 2016 GT with 51,000 miles on it.

I have an appointment next week with Mazda - my service manager said they would try to work with us since it's out of warranty. Should have gotten the extended warranty with all the tech this car has - took a gamble and lost this time it seems.

My fear is when the drivers side will go :(

The price of these headlights is outrageous.

Add another one to the list. Driver's side DRL went out at the end of July, vehicle is a 2016 GT with about 26K on the clock. Dealer replaced it under warranty, in fact I was running errands when I noticed it and called them from the car. They had a unit in stock and happened to have an appointment open. I was in/out in under 2 hours from noticing that it was out which was pretty darned good.

For maximum irony, just one week prior to this I had decided to buy out my lease and take an extended warranty out to 8 years / 100K miles. Lighting coverage was something that I insisted on. Albeit this instance was covered under the original factory warranty, I'll sleep better knowing that I'm covered against a $1,300 timebomb.

They’ve reduced the intensity of the LED DRLs on the 2017 which improves the life. Thats why the are backed up with reduced intensity headlights.

They’ve reduced the intensity of the LED DRLs on the 2017 which improves the life. Thats why the are backed up with reduced intensity headlights.
Not sure how bright 400 candela is for minimum DRL light output under EU regulation.

Wikipedia said:
The EU Directive requires functionally specific daytime running lamps compliant with ECE Regulation 87 and mounted to the vehicle in accord with ECE Regulation 48. DRLs compliant with R87 emit white light of between 400 and 1,200 candela.

But in US we have no regulation for DRLs. We don't want overuse the LED headlights on 2nd-gen CX-5 which may have the same issue like 2016 LED DRLs. Leave the headlights on all the time is not a good idea for US 2nd-gen CX-5 owners, and who knows these constant-on LED headlights may have the same issue after we're out of the warranty. Please call Mazda North American Operations urging them to turn off the LED headlights as the part of DRLs!

BTW, the longevity of LED has nothing to do with the brightness, but the LED and other components' quality themselves, the heat dissipation, and the lifespan of the electronic components. No matter how well the LED headlight designed, the longer you use it, the shorter the lifespan will be!

Last edited:
And for those who have had failed LED DRLs please go to NHTSA website filing a complaint. NHTSA could start an investigation with more complaints on this issue and force Mazda to have a recall. A recall will protect us 2016 CX-5 owners with LED Signature DRLs even if we're out of the warranty in the future!

Our headlights here in PI does not turn on with the DRL at daytime applications.
aad126487c3327505c4784c1d285f585.jpg

Nice! And that's what it should be for US CX-5, like 2016 CX-5 LED DRL configuration!
Yeah I know. You guys kinda scared me after hearing that your DRLs operates with the headlights during daytime driving. Mazda parts are very expensive here in this side of the world considering we are near Japan. I was also told by a collision shop that the a piece of headlight for the 2016 model costs more than $2,000. I just don't know if the price is for insurance claims. Accredited collision repair shops here tend to "overprice" their purchases when claiming for insurance payments.

2017 - People...I did the code and I thought it worked, but I was stationary. The headlights still turn on.

It's a problem for me because I go through a military gate every morning and it's courteous to turn off the headlights, which I cannot now. Fortunately I don't drive the CX-5 often.

Either way, I tweeted Mazda Europe..

f1bca8f025fe7cd7c7bb804cd2808f9a.jpg

I also just fired off an email to Mazda USA,Europe, & Germany

Last edited:
Nice! And that's what it should be for US CX-5, like 2016 CX-5 LED DRL configuration!

You have the ALH headlights. Different than north american standard style LED with adaptive turning and auto headlight.

Your whole headlight inner workings and controls are different despite the same styling / look from the exterior.

Back