2016 CX5 LED headlights

:
CX5 '21 GTR
Just read in owners manual that if LED bulb dies (low/high/drl) the whole headlight unit has to be replaced.
So I'm just wondering, what is the expected life of LED lights?
Anyone had them replaced?

Though I've never seen a rating for Mazda's LED headlights, a lot of LED's for automotive use are rated at about 25,000 hours or more. HID's, on the other hand, are usually rated around 2,500 hours. If the ratings for LED's are even close to correct, they should last longer than the vehicle. Accident damage will probably be the usual reason for replacement. The best headlights I've ever had are HID's in a Porsche Cayman, maybe not surprising since sports cars are designed to be driven fast. The LED headlights in my '16 CX-5 aren't quite as bright as the Cayman's but they are close. They seem like a great deal, given that they come in a $1500 package that also includes a very competent GPS system and a few other goodies as well.

Just read in owners manual that if LED bulb dies (low/high/drl) the whole headlight unit has to be replaced. So I'm just wondering, what is the expected life of LED lights? Anyone had them replaced?
LED lamp life expectancy depends on fixture type and usage scenario. LED application to automobile is too new to have any creditable data for reliability concerns one way or the other. For household LED lighting according to the claims from various manufacturers, the life expectancy is 20,000 to 50,000 hours. At 8 hours per day this would be approximately 7~17 years. Supposedly Mazda uses the best quality LED's, this is roughly 30 times longer than incandescent bulbs and 5 times longer than compact fluorescents. So if you replaced your halogen headlight bulbs once for the period of owning the car for 10 years, you may never have a chance to replace your LED headlight unit unless you own it for 300 years! Of course sometimes the environment such as high temperature will cause supporting electronic circuitry, i.e. parts such as capacitors, fails, or even the LED itself fails. But it should be very rare. I'd just enjoy the benefits of the LED lighting and not too worried about its longevity.

... The best headlights I've ever had are HID's in a Porsche Cayman, maybe not surprising since sports cars are designed to be driven fast. The LED headlights in my '16 CX-5 aren't quite as bright as the Cayman's but they are close. They seem like a great deal, given that they come in a $1500 package that also includes a very competent GPS system and a few other goodies as well.
Yeah, I remember just to upgrade from Bi-Xenon to LED headlights on Porsche Panamera costs $2,900~$3,505 MSRP! (omg)

To be fair, LEDs have been used in various areas of automobiles for at least a decade now. LED low beams have been used in premium autos for several years now, and I would consider them an entirely different animal, considering their ultra high output.
There's likely some info out there on how they're doing in headlamp application, if you look in the right places.

Since LEDs inherently have lengthy life expectancy, you're at the mercy of component quality. Which, really, is always the case with LEDs. Because even if a quality diode is misused in its applicarion, it will still last ages. Eventually efficacy, output and color temperature will suffer. But it'll still light!

Mazda is pretty good with their componentry. Like stated, they will almost certainly outlast the life of the car.

Thanks for that info.
In theory LEDs shouldn't die, but in practice I know that they do, if quality is poor, like in aftermarket LED upgrades (when you replace halogen bulbs with led).
So, Mazda uses the best quality LEDs that are not going to die.
If that's the case, that should be covered by warranty.
Are LEDs covered?

Thanks for that info.
In theory LEDs shouldn't die, but in practice I know that they do, if quality is poor, like in aftermarket LED upgrades (when you replace halogen bulbs with led).
So, Mazda uses the best quality LEDs that are not going to die.
If that's the case, that should be covered by warranty.
Are LEDs covered?
Who knows? But I bet more people know if the cracked windshield is covered under new car warranty then LED headlights. I even bet nobody will even have a chance to find out!

The LEDs and components would certainly be covered under your 3/32 bumper to bumper manufacturer warranty, and likely also by any extended service plan you may have purchased. But, you'd have to investigate the latter to be certain how the contract was arranged.

I need to look into this cracked windshield thing. I thought it was isolated, but that doesn't seem to be the case? I did also see some problems with 14 plus MZ3s as well.

Is Mazda denying coverage/denying issue?

Last edited:
The LEDs and components would certainly be covered under your 3/32 bumper to bumper manufacturer warranty, and likely also by any extended service plan you may have purchased. But, you'd have to investigate the latter to be certain how the contract was arranged.

I need to look into this cracked windshield thing. I thought it was isolated, but that doesn't seem to be the case? I did also see some problems with 14 plus MZ3s as well.

I had my cracked windshield covered under warranty.

Just give it a little time. Someone will have one torn down doing a mod on it. They will discover some part numbers in the process. Someday there will be a writeup here on how to fix one if they did end up problematic. :)

I bought the Ford premium care extended warranty, LED coverage was an added 85.00 to the plan

I have the low end headlights with the old fashioned daytime running lights on a 2016 CX-5. Is it possible to replace them with the LED lamps?

I have the low end headlights with the old fashioned daytime running lights on a 2016 CX-5. Is it possible to replace them with the LED lamps?

You can but high beam illumination will be affected. I'm not sure if non-led '16 is basically the same as '13-'15 non-tech.

You can but high beam illumination will be affected. I'm not sure if non-led '16 is basically the same as '13-'15 non-tech.

I was wondering the same thing, I have a 2014 GT with Tech (HID), was really wondering if i could just buy the 2016 lights (LED fronts and rear) and replace them. The high beam shouldn't be an issue, I don't have any clue where I could order a pair though, and before I do i wanted to be certain that they'll fit.

EDIT:
Found this Thread:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...dlight-amp-Taillight-Retrofit-to-2015-w-tech/

Its got some good info.

Last edited:
Though I've never seen a rating for Mazda's LED headlights, a lot of LED's for automotive use are rated at about 25,000 hours or more. HID's, on the other hand, are usually rated around 2,500 hours. If the ratings for LED's are even close to correct, they should last longer than the vehicle. Accident damage will probably be the usual reason for replacement. The best headlights I've ever had are HID's in a Porsche Cayman, maybe not surprising since sports cars are designed to be driven fast. The LED headlights in my '16 CX-5 aren't quite as bright as the Cayman's but they are close. They seem like a great deal, given that they come in a $1500 package that also includes a very competent GPS system and a few other goodies as well.

For the CX-5, is there a significant difference in the brightness \ road illumination of the LED headlights versus the standard halogen lights?

I want the legally brightest headlights but the cost of replacing the LED's vs a halogen bulb have me concerned. The LED headlight "system" includes a "power supply" to drop the voltage powering the LED's. This power supply can fail before 25,000 hours, so replacement may be needed for more than an accident damage.

For the CX-5, is there a significant difference in the brightness \ road illumination of the LED headlights versus the standard halogen lights?

I want the legally brightest headlights but the cost of replacing the LED's vs a halogen bulb have me concerned. The LED headlight "system" includes a "power supply" to drop the voltage powering the LED's. This power supply can fail before 25,000 hours, so replacement may be needed for more than an accident damage.

LEDs vs Halogens? Yes.

LEDs vs HIDs. We have both and to my eyes at least the HIDs are brighter than the LEDs. Casts a larger bright spot. The LEDs seems to throw a farther beam. Here's an example.

http://headlightretrofits.com/2015/02/2013-cx-5-oem-hid-vs-2016-cx-5-oem-led-rhd/

Last edited:
Always a matter od user taste I guess

Yeah, I remember just to upgrade from Bi-Xenon to LED headlights on Porsche Panamera costs $2,900~$3,505 MSRP! (omg)

Well I am still old fashioned I guess, But I'll take the H.I.D. over the L.E.Ds any day. While the H.I.Ds currently have numerical superiority over the L.E.Ds, that will SOON be gone due to the rapid acceptance of the L.E.Ds which seem to be the norm these days if we count the DRLs. (I guess H.I.Ds are chea'per for the new car maers as well.

When I recently traded my 2015 CX-5 for a used 2013 Lexus RX 200 I re-visited the L.E.Ds again at the Lexus showroom. The H.I.Ds in the 2013 still looked better to me than L.E.Ds!

BTW: I am really enjoying the Lexus and this old back thanks me daily LOL. HOWEVER, I will not lie: If my back were normal, I would have kept the CX-5 for a long time, and the call to luxury could have been delayed! That Lexus is the bomb though; wish I could have kept them both!

Back