auto headlight setting

racer99

:
2015 Mazda3 sGT
Just picked up a 2015 sGT. It has the automatic on/off headlights. The settings options are High, Med High, Medium, Med Low, and Low. The manual does a poor job of explaining what these settings are. It says "The headlight illumination on/off timing based on surrounding lightness/darkness". Does HIGH mean that the lights will only come on when it's darkest, or is this highest sensitivity so it will come on when it's just slightly dark?

lt refers to the sensitivity of the sensor. In this case, HIGH means highest sensitivity and does what you described. Personally, I don't like to use the auto feature because every time you pull into the garage, it turns on the headlight and then right away you turn off the car. Kills your xenon bulb more quickly this way.

That's a good point about the lifespan of the Xenon bulbs, I hadn't thought of that. I haven't decided if I like the auto headlights or not, but right now I have them on.

So its not Auto headlights on or off. That figures. So Aut headlights have to be selected on steering column switch then you set the sensitivity through settings.

My wife's Lexus has this feature and we've had it turned on for more than 12 years. The headlights are still fine, and we do park the vehicle in our garage. My 3's lights are set to "Auto" and I have no worries about burning them out too quickly.

Back