BEWARE 2014 Mazda3 hatchback caliper and brakes!

TonisMazda3

:
2014 Mazda 3 hatchback
Wanted to warn customers of the 2014 Mazda3 hatchback having manufacturing issues right at the plant. They are sending out new cars without being tested properly. I could have been killed a week ago when I lost my brakes and my caliper fell off. I only have 12,000 KM on the car it's brand new. It's only had an oil change on it and removal of winter tires. After speaking with Mazda Canada they cannot do anything for me. They tell me that these things happen. They say they fixed the car under warranty but how does the caliper break off causing there to be NO BRAKES! Especially when it's a brand new car....I urge you to ensure the dealership is checking to ensure the caliper is on safely, get them to show you or you could be killed!

it could have been your car had the flex hoses that allow brake fluid to be transfered to the calipers (and flex with wheel and suspension movement) were fitted too tightly and that caused too much pressure at the caliper causing your issue, i would think if it was a common problem it would be on the news and/or already in a recall. there was a car made in the 80s in europe that had that issue and it was all over the news. you may have gotten one that looked fine upon visual inspection and performed fine on the small test strip at the end of the line but had something not visible or noticeable until something happened. did the calipers actually "fly" off or did they just quit functioning?

Perhaps it was a caliper bolt that had a hidden flaw. I'm sure that not all bolts are x-rayed for flaw detection.

Many years ago, shortly after having my tires changed, one of the tire/wheels came off while I was driving on the highway. It turns out that one of the lug nuts was slightly smaller than all the others. When the tech torqued the nuts (all with the same hex socket), the smaller nut was never tightened. Having just one out of 5 nuts loose was sufficient to cause the others to loosen (apparently). THAT was a harrowing experience.

Back