Back seat bottom cushion removal (2016 Sport)

mazda cx5

:
mazda cx5
I want to remove the back seat bottom cushion for the back seat to lay flat/flatter when hauling cargo. Does it just pull up and out? I have not figured out yet what is holding the back seat bottom cushion. Anybody ever do this? Do I need tools? TIA

You will need tools for sure. Since the rear seats fold and move independently unlike a traditional bench seat, you will need to first remove the seats completely before you can remove the lower seat cushions. The one potential issue I see is the lower cushion is an integral part of the folding mechanism so I'm not sure if you can remove the lower cushions while maintaining fold functionality.

Remove the headrests from the back seats and the seat backs will lay flat, making a level cargo area.

Seats do not lay flat on the Sport, even with headrests removed. Does the seat lay flat on the Touring or Grand Touring?
Yes; not perfectly flat, but much flatter than the Sport. The seat bottom slides forward a bit on the higher levels, which allows the seat back to drop down for a flatter load floor. Been that way since the model's inception.

I did search, but came up empty. Can someone provide a photo of just how (non) flat the Sport seats fold? While not a showstopper, I have been hauling more lately and this is somewhat of an issue. My base-model 06 Escape XLS has articulating seat bottoms that allow fold flat seatbacks.

Back