Automatic wipers don't work!

I tried turning things off and on........there is something not right about the automatic wipers. Something needs to be changed.

Then take it back to the dealer and try to replicate the problem for them. You said you took it in and they worked at the dealership but it doesn't work at home. As far as I know the wipers are not tied into any sort of satellite system to determine location of rain that would effect the function of your wipers. Have you tried putting the stalk in the auto position and the sensitivity turned to high and spraying it with some water? Maybe try to get a video of the scenario and posting that for us to see what it's doing.

I feel the rain-sensing wipers on CX-5 is not that precise like our BMW 528i but like the level of our VW Passat. Strangely Mazda decided to make AUTO mode ALWAYS functional if you keep the stalk there. Whereas most other cars will disable the "Auto" function once you turned off the engine and you always have to turn off the wipers and turn them back on to Auto mode in order to make it functional. I believe the latter is a better way to protect the wiper system.

True. In fact, the OM states:

It is recommended that the auto-wiper lever be switched to the OFF position other than when driving the vehicle under rainy conditions.

I tried turning things off and on........there is something not right about the automatic wipers. Something needs to be changed.
When you were doing the testing, did you pour water at rain sensor area of your windshield in front of rear view mirror?

It rained the other day.......several times so I had a good chance (several chances) at testing the wipers. Big rain drops...coming down at a good clip.

It rained the other day.......several times so I had a good chance (several chances) at testing the wipers. Big rain drops...coming down at a good clip.

And.... Tell us what happened, did you move the wiper stalk at all? Change the sensitivity setting? Do they move when turn them to low or high?

And another thought, have you put any sort of treatment on the windshield? The owners manual states not to put any treatment over the sensor area.

The dealership recently upgraded my software because the car was stalling as I backed it out of garage. It could be that the upgrade affected the automatic wipers. Last time he said that I had the sensitivity on the wipers was set too low. I will take it in next week.

The dealership recently upgraded my software because the car was stalling as I backed it out of garage. It could be that the upgrade affected the automatic wipers. Last time he said that I had the sensitivity on the wipers was set too low. I will take it in next week.

Interesting... on the stalling issue. Did the work order mention any TSB #'s?

I wonder if some odd engagement in transmission could cause this?

Was driving my CX-5 today after cleaning it up(wash and waxed) when it started raining-was suppose to hold off precipitating until tonight. Seeing the rain on the windshield bummed me out until ........I saw my automatic wipers actually work!
The only thing I could think of as to why they have no worked in the past is: I cleaned the windshield with windex and must have cleaned off what the car wash place put on my car windshield .

My automatic wipers did not work well with the first windshield; especially at night. When I got my 2nd windshield the automatic wipers started working. Hopefully the rain sensing wipers will still work when I get my 3rd windshield installed.

Works fine on my '16. Accidentally left it on auto yesterday and was wondering about it today when they started wiping when it rained. Did a good job wiping... Not too much, just enough.

Mine seem to work well when it's actually raining, but if it's just misty they usually won't activate.

Back