New CX 5 owner, buying experience and thoughts

apa80

:
mazda cx5 GT 2016 with tech
Got a new 2016 Mazda CX 5 GT with tech last week. Thought I would post my buying experience and initial thoughts here. I had a 2010 Mazda 3 hatch previously. Needed a slightly bigger vehicle with a little more rear room and cargo space for our 10 month old baby. The final choice was between a CRV and CX 5. Because of the great experience I had with 3 and the stellar reviews for CX-5, I decided to go for it. Besides, I just couldn't get over the exterior looks of the Honda CRV.

Had a test drive at the nearest dealer and loved it. But the dealer wouldn't budge on price.
Talked to a few others but was either low balled on my trade in or they didn't have the color of my choice.

Finally settled on dealer 45 min away who offered me a generous trade in number. The only hitch was, the car in question was available at a sister dealership about 30 min away. Was assured that he can get me the car. At this point, I just wanted to get the deal done, so I agreed to do it next day as it was getting pretty late in the day.

The next day, as promised the car was there, bit with a minor hiccup. The SD card for navigation was not present. The salesmen told me as there were people walking away with SD cards during test drives, so the other dealership had stopped keeping it in the car. He assured me that he would pickup it and deliver it personally in a few days. I really didn't want to get home without the sd card so I offered to pick it up from the other dealership. The salesman agreed. But when I got to the other dealership, I was told they had given everything they had to my dealership and it was their responsibility to make good anything that was missing. This really got my goat and I went back to the dealership and gave my salesman as well as his manager a piece of my mind. I was OK with getting the navigation a little later, but was disappointed that they would send me on a wild goose chase after buying a car from them. They apologized and again said some one would deliver the missing sd card personally. At this point I had didn't have much faith in them but I let it go as I could live without navigation for a few days.

Salesman calls next day and says it too far for him to drive, and asks whether he can mail the sd card? I agreed and asked him to send me the tracking #. Was told that they can't mail immediately , but will do so in a couple of days, and will the send the tracking # once they mail it.

It has been six days and I still don't have the sd car. But I am not too hung up on it. Still hopeful I will get it. But if don't, I will contact Mazda corporate and see if they can help. Worst case, I am out of $350-400 to get a new sd card on my own.

On top of it, I get mails from the salesman requesting a perfect 10 for my car buying experience in the survey. I came to know that this is a big deal for the salesman as they stand to gain/lose a few hundred dollars based on the survey results. As long as I have my item before I take the survey, I will give him a perfect 10.

As for the car, here are some observations after the first few days:

1) Upgrading from the 3, absolutely love the added interior and cargo space. Lots of room leftover after installing a big car seat.
2) Absolutely amazed by how much tech is stuffed into the car. When I went from a 97 Altima to the Mazda 3, the only new features that stood out were bluetooth and keyless entry. Now I have BSM, Rear traffic alert, SCBS, Led Lights and what feels like a super computer stuffed into the dashboard.
3) Love the rear cross traffic alert. Already got a couple of warnings while backing out.
4) Was concerned about rear window visibility, but I think it is not too bad. May only previous extended experience was with a Nissan Rogue (now Rogue Select) and it is horrendous in this regard. Just need to look into afte market headrests for the back that fold down when not in use. Suggestions welcome in this regard.
5)LED lights are great. Feel they alone are worth the price of upgrading to tech package.
6)Love the dashboard layout. I feel it is very clean looking.
7) After a few tries, the new commander controls become feel very easy to use.

Dislikes :

1) The car felt a little sluggish for me. Maybe it is because I am coming from a 3 and this is how SUV's are supposed to feel. The 3 felt much faster out of the blocks.
2)Wife feels this car through her around a bit more in the back then the 3.
3)Like the 3, you still feel a good bit of road noise and bumps. Drove a friends loaner 2014 Mazda 6 and it was a lot better in this regard.
4)The top anntenna already is a little loose. Will point this out to the dealer when visiting for service.
5)Will have to see how the plastic trim on the around the bottom of the car holds up. The exterior plastic parts in 3 had become discolored.

In summary, I like the car but not completely blown away. Might be because of the bad dealership experience or may be I just miss the 3.
Hopefully, after a while, i will start loving this.

PS: This forum was a big help during my car buying research. It is amazing how passionate you all are about Mazda's. Thank you!

Yeah, it'd be so much nicer if we could buy cars without having to deal with Dealers!!! I guess Tesla is working on that, but, of course the Car Dealers are sending in their Lobbyists to make sure that new cars must be sold through a dealership. I guess as nice as it sounds, I'm not sure how we'd be able to buy(and get serviced) cars without Dealerships??

As I'm sure most of us can agree, it's a sucky game we have to play to get a decent deal on the new vehicle we want.

I'm interested in the less obstructive headrests as well.

Anyone have a work-around for Euro nav data? Mine's coming with NA map data

4) Was concerned about rear window visibility, but I think it is not too bad. May only previous extended experience was with a Nissan Rogue (now Rogue Select) and it is horrendous in this regard. Just need to look into afte market headrests for the back that fold down when not in use. Suggestions welcome in this regard.

PM Fendiman. He can get low-profile headrests from Japan (same as are sold in Europe, I believe). Original Mazda parts, so perfect color match to your interior leather.

I actually have a pair of his "Sand" color leather headrests for sale as I am upgrading to a 2016 model and they changed the interior color to "Parchment", in case anyone is interested.

The final choice was between a CRV and CX 5. Because of the great experience I had with 3 and the stellar reviews for CX-5, I decided to go for it. Besides, I just couldn't get over the exterior looks of the Honda CRV.
You made a right decision. Honda is heading to the wrong direction and is not the old Honda anymore. They can't come up with any new technologies and the style is just bland. Using the CVT on new CR-V is a sign of running out of ideas and trying to sacrifice reliability to make up a better EPA numbers but not for the real-world environment. All the vibration complaints from new CVT on CR-V is just inevitable. Mazda's SkyActiv is much superior than Honda's old VTECH!

The SD card for navigation was not present. The salesmen told me as there were people walking away with SD cards during test drives, so the other dealership had stopped keeping it in the car.
It's true. The NAV SD card, like owner's manual, is kept separately for a good reason. My friend didn't have the SD card for a couple of days when they bought their CX-5. But the SD card should be readily available from dealer's parts department and they should be able to give you one fast.

On top of it, I get mails from the salesman requesting a perfect 10 for my car buying experience in the survey. I came to know that this is a big deal for the salesman as they stand to gain/lose a few hundred dollars based on the survey results. As long as I have my item before I take the survey, I will give him a perfect 10.
You're very considerate by doing this! The turnover rate for car salesmen is very high, unless on the high-end brands with much better profit margin. The job is tough and the pay is low as the profit margin on new car sales from non-high-end cars is almost nothing. I'd call your salesman and find out what's going on.

See How To Acquire Non-US Spec Head Restraints for a US-spec CX-5. Here are a couple of pictures showing these non-US spec rear seat head rests and the view from rear liftgate. People bought these say they have improved the rear window visibility dramatically and are well worth $200 they paid. I plan to check out these head rests when I have the chance traveling to Asia this summer.
CX-5%2520Low%2520Profile%2520Rear%2520Seat%2520Head%2520Rests%2520-%2520Taiwan.jpg
CX-5%2520Looking%2520from%2520Hatch%2520-%2520Taiwan.jpg

5)LED lights are great. Feel they alone are worth the price of upgrading to tech package.
I saw Porsche Panamera charges $2130+ for LED headlights alone. Just for lighting, Mazda Tech Package gives you LED headlights with auto leveling, Pivoting Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS), LED foglights, LED Signature Daytime Running Lights, LED Combination Taillights. These alone are well worth the $1505 MSRP we paid! Many people don't notice the AFS, as it played a big role for improving night visibility! In addition, Mazda's LED headlights use a single projector for low beam and single "cell" LED light for high-beam. They look a lot better than Honda's Acura MDX with multiple "cells" which look ugly and odd. Mazda's LED DRL's and taillights are different from most other cars with continuous smooth line (more expensive way) instead of several bright dots.

Dislikes :
1) The car felt a little sluggish for me. Maybe it is because I am coming from a 3 and this is how SUV's are supposed to feel. The 3 felt much faster out of the blocks.
You can never compare a CUV to a sedan or hatchback as it's taller and heavier. Driving our CX-5 GT AWD, I feel the ride is very similar to our BMW 528i with Sport Package (stiffer sport suspension). You're right, the CX-5 is not perfect. My number one complaint is the lack of memory seat! But for the price we paid, I think it's the best compact CUV we can get at this time!

My wife and I recently bought two CX-5's, from different SF Bay Area dealers. Going in (to visit dealers while shopping for cars) my primary 'expectation" is that I will be allowed to test drive some cars, and that's about it as far as my expectations go.
From a Mazda dealer I do not expect any sort of impressive "customer service". 5 weeks ago we bought my wife's white CX-5 GT from Putnam , Burlingame. The sales person there was friendly and the price was suitable. However, when I called him a month later (to buy another CX-5) he was indifferent. Specifically. he did not take the time to look up the value of my trade in vehicle, and just made an off hand comment that it would be worth "about $1,000". I requested that he check it out with his shop's used car appraiser, which he said he would do and call me. But he never did. So, last week I bought my CX-5 not from Putnam, but from Concord Mazda. The Concord sales person quoted me an out the door price over the phone, including my trade car which he had never seen, and did honor that price once he saw the car, which I consider good honest service.
I don't especially care about the "dealership experience". What matters , really, is the vehicle itself. Is it a pleasure to drive, reliable etc... ? Our CX-5's are brand new and our first Mazda's. so it will be awhile before we have experience regarding reliability. For now we like looking at them and driving them , so far so good.

As I'm sure most of us can agree, it's a sucky game we have to play to get a decent deal on the new vehicle we want.
Agreed.
How much did you pay before taxes and fees. Did you get FWD or AWD?
28945 for a white FWD. Does not include $500 loyalty. If you finance thorough Mazda Capital, there is another $500. The salesman said this was not stack-able with loyalty, but I doubt it.
You made a right decision. Honda is heading to the wrong direction and is not the old Honda anymore.
Thank you. The vibration issues did scare me from CRV.
PM Fendiman. He can get low-profile headrests from Japan
Thank you!
I don't especially care about the "dealership experience".
I think a lot depends on the individual salesman you get and it is just the luck of the draw.

Last edited:
I think a lot depends on the individual salesman you get and it is just the luck of the draw.

I'm sure this almost never happens for anyone else, but, my girlfriend has been leasing from the same dealership, and yes, the same salesman for the pas 22 years, so, I guess that's 8 leases, 8 vehicles, mostly Saturns, then Chevy after Saturn went away. Amazes me that the same salesman is still a salesman, yet along at the same dealership all these years.

couldnt they have taken an SD card from one on their lot and hash it out dealer to dealer? inconveniencing you risking a lower survey score really worth it?

I would call the sales manager for the SD chip and if you can do it, drive over and pick it up.

couldnt they have taken an SD card from one on their lot and hash it out dealer to dealer? inconveniencing you risking a lower survey score really worth it?
I suggested this but was told this was not possible.
I would call the sales manager for the SD chip and if you can do it, drive over and pick it up.
I will likely end-up doing this, but will have to wait till the weekend.

Of course, the guy who my sales person went to with my offer, said to me laughtingly "are you trying to steal the vehicle?" He then offered me an employee price for the CX-5.I don't know if it was some kind of BS ,but he said the MAZDA REP was allowing him to offer the employee price to a few customers. He did have a special form that he would fill out. I assumed that I would not have much room to negotiate, since it was a new car and they were still selling the 2015's. They had the 2015's CX-5 on the floor. The salesperson said there was only $1600 to play with :the rest of the money was the cost of the vehicle. I am immediately disregarded what he said and reduced the sales price by 10%.

He then offered me an employee price

We had a Chevy dealer attempting to price match a lease price we got from Honda on a Civic for a Chevy Cruze, I think they had to resort to Employee pricing to make the deal. We'll be keeping that one till the last day of the lease. I'm pretty sure on the next one we'll either be paying more, or will get less vehicle. I'm sure they still made money on the deal, but, probably not much :)

Of course, the guy who my sales person went to with my offer, said to me laughtingly "are you trying to steal the vehicle?" He then offered me an employee price for the CX-5.I don't know if it was some kind of BS ,but he said the MAZDA REP was allowing him to offer the employee price to a few customers. He did have a special form that he would fill out. I assumed that I would not have much room to negotiate, since it was a new car and they were still selling the 2015's. They had the 2015's CX-5 on the floor. The salesperson said there was only $1600 to play with :the rest of the money was the cost of the vehicle. I am immediately disregarded what he said and reduced the sales price by 10%.

When I bought my '16 CX-5 AWD GT with Tech they told me the same thing. Saying they had 1 employee price plan available and that they don't get these often. He said they are only offered every now and then and this dealership was able to get one. They had to use it before the end of March, so I ended up doing it and picking up on 4/1. Prior to that, I checked truecar.com and looked around a bit on the internet and it seemed I was getting a really good deal. I ended up paying $25970 for it (including the $2798 they gave me for my '04 RX8). So, without my trade, I would have paid $28768.

When I bought my '16 CX-5 AWD GT with Tech ... So, without my trade, I would have paid $28768.
$28,768 for a '16 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech? That's $3,087 below $31,855 MSRP! Lowest I've ever seen!

That WAS a pretty good Deal!!

When I bought my '16 CX-5 AWD GT with Tech they told me the same thing. Saying they had 1 employee price plan available and that they don't get these often. He said they are only offered every now and then and this dealership was able to get one. They had to use it before the end of March, so I ended up doing it and picking up on 4/1. Prior to that, I checked truecar.com and looked around a bit on the internet and it seemed I was getting a really good deal. I ended up paying $25970 for it (including the $2798 they gave me for my '04 RX8). So, without my trade, I would have paid $28768.

Hey Sam...Remember we both bought on April 1st. I wound up with a 2015 AWD GT w/Tech, because the dealer in Reno would not budge on a 16! It seems to be the way in Reno for the more popular SUVs (ie: Subaru said they sold all the outbacks before they hit the ground...I walked..And I was a previous Subaru customer!).
On the other hand, I tested a Jeep Cherokee, and the dealer dropped their drawers...NOT INTERESTED though.

Wound up paying about 28,500 for my 15! Uggh. That included a $1500 "discount" If I financed. I usually do cash, but wanted the discount, so I will pay it off this month in full! More BS since I am sure they get a half point or more from Chase!

Maybe we bought from the same dealer!! Somebody

$28,768 for a '16 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech? That's $3,087 below $31,855 MSRP! Lowest I've ever seen!

Just re-read my post from this morning and slightly misspoke. I forgot to mention that I didn't get the I-Activesense package. So I think that was a $1500 difference, if I'm not mistaken. Either way, still think I got a killer price on it. Just wanted to clarify which package I got and what I paid for it.

Hey Sam...Remember we both bought on April 1st. I wound up with a 2015 AWD GT w/Tech, because the dealer in Reno would not budge on a 16! It seems to be the way in Reno for the more popular SUVs (ie: Subaru said they sold all the outbacks before they hit the ground...I walked..And I was a previous Subaru customer!).
On the other hand, I tested a Jeep Cherokee, and the dealer dropped their drawers...NOT INTERESTED though.

Wound up paying about 28,500 for my 15! Uggh. That included a $1500 "discount" If I financed. I usually do cash, but wanted the discount, so I will pay it off this month in full! More BS since I am sure they get a half point or more from Chase!

That sucks you couldn't land the '16 for around the same price. Yeah, they tried getting me to finance, too, originally. Said it would save me $500. That was before they found that employee price incentive that was available for the final day of March. So, as you know, I ended up buying It. And paid cash as I wanted too initially. I guess it's just luck of the draw with where you live and what price you get. It wasn't an easy process. Spent a lot of time in there trying to get what I wanted, and it finally paid off.

Back