How to remove wax from black plastic trim?

Buzzer777

:
Mazda,CX-5, AWD,2015 Grand Touring, Meteor Gray Mica
Anyone have any ideas (that really work) for removing wax from the black plastic trim. Yep, got a bit on the fender trim that of course turned white.
I have tried a few Black trim commercial products, and they look good for a week or 2, then the white comes back.

Have heard of WD40, Peanut Butter and who knows what else. BTW: not looking for any critters in my garage, so peanut butter is probably a no-go!

I wonder if maybe scrubbing the panels with Dawn dish soap would work...It is great for removing auto wax from the painted finish!
TIA.

Not sure what the best way to do that is (it's something to be avoided at all costs!), but you can generally avoid that risk by using a synthetic wax such as Turtle Wax Ice (which is what I use-Great Stuff!).

I use "BACK TO BLACK" (Maguire's?) after using a red pencil eraser. Now I use a thing cardboard to shield the plastic trip when I wax with NuFinish polymer protectant/wax. Ed

Thanks to all!!

A pencil eraser really does work. Never would have believed it.

Did try Back to Black...white came back...but did not try the pencil eraser!

Unfortunately, my first wax was with Mcquires Cleaner wax..not synthetic I think!

Sounds great...will give it a try!...NOW TO LOCATE A PENCIL ERASER...LOL...HAVE NOT USED A PENCIL IN A LONG TIME!

Another vote for the good old rubber pencil eraser. I've been using that trick on my CX-5 since my first wax and it works like magic. I use the white ones, but the pink ones probably work too.

Unfortunately, my first wax was with Mcquires Cleaner wax..not synthetic I think!
That's what I used to use before I made the same mistake you did! TurtleWax Ice (paste, not liquid!) is far superior and it says on the can something to the effect "will not discolor black trim".

Hmmm... Turtle Wax you say?

That's what I used to use before I made the same mistake you did! TurtleWax Ice (paste, not liquid!) is far superior and it says on the can something to the effect "will not discolor black trim".

I have not used Turtle Wax Products in a long time...Did the Ice Paste last you a long time (3+ months)?
It is reasonable enough and I was considering one of the Mcquires Synthetic waxes as well.

Here in Northern Nevada, the climate is brutal! Summers range from 40's at night to 100's daytime temps!
Winters are a mess as well, although we have not had snow in the past 4 yrs or so (MAJOR DROUGHT)..When it does snow, they use whatever they can find on the roads...really tough on a car. BTW, my autos have always been garaged, but ozone damage will still occur in a garage!

1ST MUST LOCATE A WHITE PENCIL ERASER! LOL...

I used NuFinish on my last vehicle...did a good enough job for the $$, but was a real mess and stunk like hell!

Not for me again!

I have not used Turtle Wax Products in a long time...Did the Ice Paste last you a long time (3+ months)?
It is reasonable enough and I was considering one of the Mcquires Synthetic waxes as well.
My car is garaged too and I'm in a prey mild climate, but the Ice I put on 4 months ago is still going strong. I would have never thought to use it, but the reviews I read at the time were pretty compelling. I've never seen water bead like it does with this product!

Good enough for me!

My car is garaged too and I'm in a prey mild climate, but the Ice I put on 4 months ago is still going strong. I would have never thought to use it, but the reviews I read at the time were pretty compelling. I've never seen water bead like it does with this product!

Will have to give it a try...! Thanks!

Yea, back to black is just a cover up. I removed turtle wax that had been on my rails for months with wd-40. Did not try a pencil eraser.

Wow... I just messed up too, got wax on the black trim in several spots. I put a little Simple Green soap on a towel comer and it took it right off without much rubbing at all. Rinsed it off with a little water, and it was gone! I bet any dish washing liquid would work also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have yet to remember to pickup an eraser...so I will try the simple green that I have on hand. If that does not do the trick, will use some Dawn detergent on them...must be careful since dawn is a great wax remover...on the painted surfaces as well...not wanting to re-wax just yet! LOL

On a different note...after 1 month of driving (city and hwy,) I am really loving the CX-5...It brings back memories of when cars were fun to drive. Thing is actually decently quick for a four banger, non Turbo.

Last fun vehicle I owned was a Porsche 911 SC (1986 vintage).

Last edited:
I am really loving the CX-5...It brings back memories of when cars were fun to drive. Thing is actually decently quick for a four banger, non Turbo. Last fun vehicle I owned was a Porsche 911 SC (1986 vintage).
So the CX-5 reminds you of your 911?!!

Plain old Dawn blue liquid dish soap will cut through most waxes.

Your best bet is to stop using that type of wax. I like Zaino products. You can get their wax or polish on your black plastic and it wipes right off. I layer on 2 two coats and I'm good for 12 months.

Why the paste over the liquid? Just curious as I just put on the liquid wax today even on the trim

Did try Back to Black...white came back...but did not try the pencil eraser!

Just to note that there are different versions of Mothers Back to Black. The cleaner is what you want (if you are going this route). The other Back to Black products are after the trim is clean.

The cleaner comes with the nylon brush that is used first to scrub out all the stubborn stains:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Then the restorer is used:

Or the trim care for maintenance:

Another method would be to use a concentrated all purpose cleaner that you can dilute and place in a spray bottle such as Meguiars D103. 4:1 for heavy stains is used with a trim brush to scrub, a rag to wipe off excess, and a microfiber to wipe any incidental spray to the nearby painted surface. After it's clean then you can use another conditioning and/or protecting type product. I might use 303 Aerospace going this route for its UV protection, but any other similar product would do.

Also a trim-safe wax would be an alternative to masking out the entire trim area. Some of these even might even help maintain it.

I've used a combination of Back-to-Black cleaner and Meguiars APC heavy before on stubborn polish. Different products and methods can work together depending on what you hand at hand. I'll make a mental note of the eraser trick in case I may need it in the future. :)

I've been using 303 Protectant, works great on the black trim. Seems to remove the white wax residue very well, plus gets all the water spots off the trim too.
uploadfromtaptalk1433085415323.jpg
Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Back