Aftermarket Hid headlights

Skusaywa

:
2016 Cx-5 gt
So I have a 2016 cx5 with no tech and I want hid headlights. Has anyone tried installing any or has anyone had any issues? Was thinking on getting low and height beam ( high beam just for the daytime running lights)? Thanks

Plenty of threads here about HID conversions; use the search function. Just for laughs, let me suggest an alternative. I too considered doing a Morimoto HID conversion, but the more I researched the more convinced I became that this type of conversion, based on a halogen projector lens system, is a compromise at best. So I decided to try a Sylvania SilverStar Ultra upgrade and have been pleasantly surprised at the improvement in brightness, color and light quality. No, it's not like a real HID setup, but the improvement is noticeable on dark mountain roads and it only cost $40 for the low beams, which is where I was looking for improvement. I liked it enough that I went ahead and ordered a set of high beam bulbs to see if I can notice the difference there too. You might want to consider this.

^If you want halogen bulbs, the best is to go with H9. Sylvania SilverStar Ultra isn't much of an upgrade and will most likely burn out faster. Just order 2 H9 Philips from Amazon and the output would easily beat stock H11.

Anyways, for HID, I would say go with TRS Morimoto, should be a plug and play application. However, I would not get HID for the high beams.

Why no hid highbeams? Really only wanted them to have a nice white color for the daytime running lights.

Why no hid highbeams? Really only wanted them to have a nice white color for the daytime running lights.

Simply doesn't work that way. The DRL uses a standard halogen high beam at half the voltage or something around half... HID cannot run at half voltage, no instant on either for flashing your high beam and you will most likely damage the ballast if you install an HID kit on the high beam.

If you want white color for DRL, your best option is getting LED. However, you will lose your high beam (as in not being bright enough to be a high beam anymore).

I haven't swapped my bulbs for HID yet on the CX-5, but I never had any problem when I had it on my 2010 Honda Insight.

The TRS HID kit for low beams is excellent. I've installed 2 kits and they work great for the CX-5 stock headlamps.

Latest posts

Back