4-speed auto trans (06 model) replacement Q's

daan

:
06 "5"
I just turned 175K on my 06. It has the 4-speed auto. I've changed the fluid in it every 40-50K, it is mostly fine but is starting to shift... funny. The other day it drove normally, shifted up to "3" and then just kind of stayed there, until I used the shifter to put it in "4". It only did it the one time, but was enough to kind of scare me. This is the first car I've had with an auto trans, I've done lots of clutches in other cars, but never an auto trans. All I hear from auto owners are how they never changed the fluid in theirs, and then traded it in when the trans went out... not really an option here since I'm sure I'll get, like, $7 for my 5 (not that I can afford a car payment) Are the 4-speed trans's similar to the newer 5-speeders as far as longevity goes? How about if it does break, can I put a 5-speed auto in instead? Would there even be a point to doing that? I had a different car that I changed from auto to manual, and that was such a HUGE PITA that I wouldn't do it again in here, as much as I'd love another 3-pedal car. How many miles do the autos last for others? I have the fluid changed pretty regularly, but have never done a "trans tune-up" like I've heard others having done. Not at the mileage I'm at, though.
It still drives pretty normally, but it seems to go into "4" ASAP and not wanting to downshift unless I floor it, which it never really did before. It's got a LOT of miles on it, so I know it's getting tired. I just don't have much experience with auto trans's, so thank you in advance.

Back