Here's a new one. parts replaced on my 5's front end.

Kojack

:
2007 5 GT "thing 5"
I have been chasing a "shimmy" for years in my 5. Well After trying and replacing everything, we were also getting some weird noises in the front end while driving as well. Turns out I had a wheel bearing toast, and the wheel hub itself was warped. I have never heard of the hub warping. disks yes, dinging a wheel yes, not a warped hub. Anyways, this is probably 5 years chasing this problem, if not longer. That's crazy.

The car drives as new now. HAPPY CAMPER>

wow, never heard of that either, can you visual it?

how much does a wheel hub cost anyways?

i was thinking to change the wheel bearing just as a preventative update, but this scares me a bit.

just check rockauto, there are only 2 choices, either $18 or $36, cheaper than the wheel bearing itself, labour is going to be a lot more i guess....

Did it shimmy when you got on the brakes, or all the time? Mine shimmies as well and if you had a warped hub that means I better check mine. I have been operating under the assumption that it was a warped disc, but it doesn't do it all the time only every now and then.

Mine was a come and go type thing. We thought it was brake releated, then wheel balancing related, but you would get a shimmy then it would stop then come back. Finally, my wheel bearing started going south, and making noise. I told them about the noise and shimmy etc. They did 2 hrs of diagnosis, and then visually saw the warp in the hub assembly. Like I said, I have been chasing this condition for years. and Finally have it fixed. Our car drives like new again. I don't think it will be a safety concern, but I hate stuff like this going on with my vehicles and not being able to get it sorted. Now it is.

I actually had the same thing happen to my 08 5. Over a year of fixing other things. It was the passenger side front. I think i had it fixed before 30k miles under warranty. New hub and the bearing was bad. I wrote it off as a fluke brought on by bad warranty work. I figured they put the drive shaft back in wrong after they dropped the transmission to fix the leaky seals. I suspect this because they said the shaft was basically fused to the hub.
So, have you had any work done to the transmission early on?

I can't remember. not that I know of. I had two shafts and the transmission replaced at the dealer but the shimmy was way before any of that stuff.

I guess I have another item to add to my " to-do" list then. Dammit the Speed3 brakes just got pushed back AGAIN LOL

ha ha. for sure. I find the brake good on the 5. coming from my jeep jk unlimited

Back