CX 5 undercarriage damaged! Help!

jacktam

:
cx5
Hi guys,

I recently drove through some snow/ice and noticed that the plastic part of the front under carriage is damaged. This part is between the two front wheels. Can someone help me identify what part is this and if it's expensive to replace? Is it common wear and tear?

Please see attached picture.

Help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Wow, sorry to read your post. you must have hit something to cause this unfortunate damage.

Definitely not normal wear & tear. I believe the thermo plastic part is called the ''Undercover" and it protects the engine & transmission from dirt and rocks. It also assists in helping cool the engine compartment.

those parts cost like $20-40 a piece. I had to replace some because of heavy rains/puddle tearing etc. easy to install/remove, they are just plastic push rivets, and maybe the odd phillip screw. usually the dealer will show you a diagram on the computer and you can point it out.

Hi guys,

I recently drove through some snow/ice and noticed that the plastic part of the front under carriage is damaged.

Where did you find snow/ice near Singapore? A road trip?

The plastic undercarriage is primarily to control turbulence under the vehicle at higher speeds. This gives more passing acceleration and better fuel economy. It would be best to inspect it on a lift.

don't mean to hijack this thread but just wondering,

this dimpled area is the front jack point recommended by the service manual right? I don't think I can get my floor jack all the way in there and still be able the pump the long jack bar.

Is there another jack point besides that dimpled area and the pinch welds under the door ?

11ukho6.jpg

yeah, the two red ovals are the Mazda recommended jack points (dimple area for front and the rear differential there's a weird looking square extension off the rear diff housing that is for the floor jack to mate up to)

I also believe the lower control arms are good jack points also (blue ovals) but I'm not sure, can someone who knows confirm ?

2cofs3n.jpg

Last edited:
yeah, the two red ovals are the Mazda recommended jack points (dimple area for front and the rear differential there's a wired looking extension off the rear diff housing that is for the floor jack to mate up to)

I also believe the lower control arms are good jack points also (blue ovals) but I'm not sure, can someone who knows confirm ?

2cofs3n.jpg

the LCAs aren't listed but they do have projections on them that are used when you need to jack the LCA up/down when you are taking it apart or something.

yeah, the two red ovals are the Mazda recommended jack points (dimple area for front and the rear differential there's a weird looking square extension off the rear diff housing that is for the floor jack to mate up to)

2cofs3n.jpg

Wait seriously? Mazda recommends that we lift the car from the center, rather than the corners?

Wait seriously? Mazda recommends that we lift the car from the center, rather than the corners?

Yeah according to service manual see post #19. Attachment picture, link below

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123823081-How-to-jack-up-your-CX-5/page2

Per general public owner's manuals, you can also jack the CX5 at the four pinch welds under near each door when you have a flat using the flimsy OEM trunk jack when you're in a bind , make sure to loosen the lugs first before you jack up, also don't drive with the donut in the fronts, if you have a front flat you need to get a good tire from the back wheels and move it to the front. So basically if you have a front flat, you need to change twice, first replace rear good tire with donut , then take the removed rear tire and replace front flat tire and throw front flat tire in the trunk and drive to shop to get flat fixed. It helps to have an emergency long breaker pipe in the trunk, last thing you want is not able to remove the damn lug.

Donut should only ride in the rear wheels, it should be in the manual, something about better driving control and braking power with both front full size tires, dangerous to have one front full size and one front donut in emergency braking situation.

Weird that mazda doesn't point out the four corners where the independent shops use when they lift the cars by the four corner lower control arms, mazda only list the dimpled front cross member and rear differential case

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back