CX-5 European roof cross bars

Martines

:
Mazda CX-5 2.2L Diesel AWD 6AT D
I know that this forum focuses mainly on North America market, but maybe there is someone interested in European model as well.
In European model there are no roof rails and cross bars fix directly to the roof.
I decided by OEM bars, as there were cheaper (little more than 200 USD) than any others and I was sure that they will fit perfectly my CX-5 2013.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2015-04-28 15.20.32 Mazda roof rails small.jpg
    2015-04-28 15.20.32 Mazda roof rails small.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 848
  • 2015-04-28 16.17.48 Mazda roof rails small.jpg
    2015-04-28 16.17.48 Mazda roof rails small.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 670
  • 2015-04-28 16.17.52 Mazda roof rails small.jpg
    2015-04-28 16.17.52 Mazda roof rails small.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 703
  • 2015-04-28 16.20.06 Mazda roof rails small.jpg
    2015-04-28 16.20.06 Mazda roof rails small.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 630
  • 2015-04-28 16.46.11 Mazda roof rails small.jpg
    2015-04-28 16.46.11 Mazda roof rails small.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 625
Last edited:
I like the European rack better! It's very similar to how the rack worked on my Mazda5. It's a cheaper setup, simplistic and more functional IMO.

My Mazda 5 rack looked almost identical to yours and was made by Thule for Mazda. I dig it.

I like it. How far is the center of the front bar from the rear hatch being open? I wonder if it's longer then the U.S. Market roof rack.

Well, the distance between front and rear bar measured at centre is 89 cm (35 inch), rear bar and open hatch 48 cm (18.89 inch). The height between bars and roof are for front 9 cm (3.54 inch) and for rear 8.5 cm (3.34 inch).
Please let me know if it is different in US model, thanks.

Well, the distance between front and rear bar measured at centre is 89 cm (35 inch), rear bar and open hatch 48 cm (18.89 inch). The height between bars and roof are for front 9 cm (3.54 inch) and for rear 8.5 cm (3.34 inch).
Please let me know if it is different in US model, thanks.

That's great info but you are forgetting the one dimension that I asked for. The center of the front cross bar (the one over the front doors) to the open hatch. I am trying to figure out if I fork mount bicycle tray will fit on the rack. It does not fit the US rack because the front cross bar is so far back, it's almost over the passenger doors. I'm liking the look the the European rack though.

Did the rack come with different roof strips that have the cut out in them for the mounting point?

The front bar and hatch distance can be calculated from data above: 89+48=137 cm (53.94 inch).
The cross bars came with only one set of screws/mounts. European Mazda CX-5 roof had already a hole (see first picture) with plastic cover (on picture already removed). This hole is placed in the plastic roof side rail.

EU has much higher government standards for roof racks than the US. That's why almost all of them have non adjustable threaded mounting points in the roof. The threaded points are positioned further forward (which is better for actual users) and are a different design than what we have in the US. They are completely incompatible with each other. With few exceptions, every US OEM crossbar is positioned behind the driver so the manufacturers get fewer complaints about wind noise.

Thread Hijack
Ride92, You do have aftermarket options with crossbars further forward or by going further outboard of the rack (overhanging the side) you can get the bike tray to clear the hatch. You can also have the bike mount backwards. A lot of it depends on the exact bike mount you're using. You may be able to cut the wheel tray down to fit your longest bike and that may work.

Again, the EU Mazda has better options/features available than the US Mazda. Makes me feel like the unwanted step-child.

So are the EU mounting point actually different then the U.S.? The U.S. Rack side rails still have to be mounted to the car, so won't then use the same mounting points? It's just easier to access because there is the cover in the strip rather then having to remove and cut our strips? I'm looking into the Yakima Wispbar rack system and want to mount to the positions where the oem side rails mount to. So, if I bought those different filler strips from the euro cars and installed the EU roof rack would it work? I know the filler strips aren't necessarily needs but theyd make it simpler.

Bottom line, would the euro rack be able to mount on the U.S. Spec CX-5, or did Mazda actually design the roofs differently?

Update on European cross bars:
Starting from speed of 60 km/h (37 mph) bars start to 'whistle' and increasing the speed just changes the tone. True that I have moon-roof, but even when I close the sunshade this noise is noticeable.
I know that this effect with bars should be expected, but I hoped that it will be almost hardly noticeable. I think I will remove them when not needed and only put on when need to transport something urgently.

Did you notice similar with US cross bars or maybe even with just roof rails (in Europe we don't have them)?

Did you notice similar with US cross bars or maybe even with just roof rails (in Europe we don't have them)?
The side rails alone aren't going to make much, if any, noise. The cross bars, no matter what system, will have wind noise. Some are better then others.

Does anyone know if the mounting points under the filler strips on the US CX-5 is the same as the mounting points that are under the "cap" on the euro CX-5? I'm thinking of getting the Whispbar flush mount rack system and attaching it to the points where the US side rails attach. I can't imagine that Mazda actually build two different roofs with different mounting holes for different markets. That would mean different tooling on the production line. If anyone could help me out that would be awesome.

EURO and US mounting points are not the same and sadly US cars cannot use EURO cross bars. (Sadly because I had the same thought and have had a set of US rails and crossbars taking up space in the garage since 2013...)

Back