A rattling metal noise when idle

f52242002

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
Anyone here have had a rattling noise when idle? Usually only happens when cold start before I start driving, but once I start driving the sound is gone. Rarely can hear that sound appear after car is out of the parking lot, but do hear it sometimes when stop at light.

I know I probably should go through and check different parts to see where the sound is actually coming from, but just wondering if anyone had similar experiences here so I can narrow down my search?

Thanks!

for mine it was the mate between the jpipe and the midpipe. also could be a rotted/loose heatshield. i cut all mine out before i finally realized it was the exhaust mate heh.

Do yourself a favor and just remove all of the heat shields. Or to save time, just turn the volume on the radio up as has been suggested. :)

yes heat shields rattle on these cars like crazy, it maybe the motor mounts wearing out too. i just had all mine done (trying to fix a different issue) and its quieter at idle.

Yea I removed the heat shield already actually, so but still going on so :( I guess its something else gotta go find it
Thanks tho!

look at your motor mounts, if they are worn (rubber inside them) then you need new ones and the car being this old you most likely do. mine were all worn out and the car was loud at idle now its quiet, my transmission was sitting on the cross-member and i think that was my rattle source.

Is the heat shield needed on these vehicles? Do y'all just take 'em off and leave 'em off? Mine is rattling like crazy, it's rusted through where it bolts on, on one bolt, so it rattles at idle pretty loud...just take it off? Or should it be replaced?

Is the heat shield needed on these vehicles? Do y'all just take 'em off and leave 'em off? Mine is rattling like crazy, it's rusted through where it bolts on, on one bolt, so it rattles at idle pretty loud...just take it off? Or should it be replaced?
I took all mine off years ago.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I keep my heat shield on under the shifter...
Helps keep crap off the linkage...

(all my bolts broke... it's wired on)

Back