KL-ZE All Wheel Drive

Robbert

:
MX-3 V6
While searching on the web I found the japan only Capella KL-ZE AWD. Now that sounds interesting for a swap I thought.
Now I've searched the web for any project with a KL-ZE AWD swap and the only AWD swaps I can find are the BP(-T) swaps from the Protege/323.
I know the AWD from the Capella was automatic only, but it's still wonderful to have something like that in a MX.

Does anybody know someone that has done a KL-ZE AWD build with a MX-3 or MX-6?

These are the closest you might be able to find doing an AWD set up on an MX-3. The engine is a BP, but it still gives a lot of insight into the components needed. You might be a bit hard pressed to find the components necessary to do an AWD swap with a the KL engine. Either or, good information.

Yes i know of what's needed to be done, and it's allot of work, but I always thought that the only reason people do BP(-T) swaps is because there are no other proper ways in archiving AWD with a KL engine, because al KL engines have FWD gear boxes without bolt on transfer cases available. But i just recently stumbled upon the AWD Capella's in japan. Although I haven't seen any of those gearboxes of Capella's up for sale any ware. The beauty of a project of this kind is that i'm able to keep the V6 that i so love and have good traction with the AWD system.
So I'm guessing that non of you guys have seen it any ware?

There were AWD KL's from the factory. But they were only made when attached to ATX transmissions. Which kind of ruins the joy of the swap.

Does anyone now if the transfer case on this transmission is a removable transfer case or 1 solid transmission/transfer case?
I'm curious if that transfer case would bolt on a manual transmission. I can't find any pictures or documentation of this transmission, so if anyone has some, I'll be grateful.

Back