2016 CX5 Nav losing sat signal

it appears there's still no traffic info even in 55
and you can see you firmware version in Settings -> About -> version or smth like that
and I don't think it can be updated without a trip to the dealer

Ok thanks, i see there is a 'traffic history' setting which was not selected....I selected (check marked) it maybe it will learn, or that feature will be activated? I will add that update to my oil change appointment in August.

it appears there's still no traffic info even in 55
and you can see you firmware version in Settings -> About -> version or smth like that
and I don't think it can be updated without a trip to the dealer

To check on your firmware version, select, settings from main screen/system, scroll down to About and click that, system settings page appears, on version information the following appears: OS version 51.00.300, music database 00.04.00, and Fail Safe version 51.00.300.

51 is old and 55 is current.
My dealer didn't have it so had to ask them to download from Mazda and install, it took them more than an hour.

So Gazelle, just curious...how is everything working now, did it solve the problems?

So Gazelle, just curious...how is everything working now, did it solve the problems?

There were two issues. #1 GPS reception sucked #2 Even when GPS reported high accuracy it wouldn't position on the map
#2 is fixed, but #1 is by design
I had to drive in the mountains this w/e and whenever I drove in the forest it would immediately lose signal. But the good thing is that once out of the forest it corrected the location right away.

Last edited:
This is an odd one...

There were two issues. #1 GPS reception sucked #2 Even when GPS reported high accuracy it wouldn't position on the map
#2 is fixed, but #1 is by design
I had to drive in the mountains this w/e and whenever I drove in the forest it would immediately lose signal. But the good thing is that once out of the forest it corrected the location right away.

Really strange about the 2016 system. My 2015 (although an inferior setup) really LOCKS on Sats FAST!
On average it only takes a couple of minutes and once it locks, it seems to stay that way, baring a tunnel or something that completely blocks it. It is even better around Lake Tahoe ((even higher up). I live about 5000 feet above sea level which can't hurt!

I would say that it is even faster than my lm50 Garmin. It will also lock on (no idea as to how many Sats it gets though) in my wood framed typical garage!!! Not as fast as in a clear view of course, but still amazing.

On the 2016 Navtech setup, I presume the antenna is still the same, which leaves either receiver sensitivity (my guess) or perhaps another firmware optimizing. It was interesting that after my 2015 TomTom updates were installed, the speed of satellite acquisition definitely increased. Seem to recall reading a speed increase note in the installation faq, at the time.

Should I keep the CX-5 past the warranty period (seems likely at this point:)), I will probably install a 3rd party solution!

Considering all the problems the TomTom setup had/has, I would have bet that the new setup in 2016 would have been tested and tuned prior to its release (losing I might add). Interesting that Subaru , to this date, has not been able to get a decent system.

Prior to buying the CX-5, I did check out the 2015 Outback Nice but I had had it with CVTs AND their Starlink infotainment system was only marginally better than that that was in my 2013 LTD! SUCKY (It will change again in the 2016 model)

Last edited:
Is there a way to update the Ephemeris Data ,like one would on a
Garmin or TOMTOM handheld GPS?this might speed up the locking on to the satellites.

The Ephemeris data lets the GPS know where the sats are located relative to the unit,so yes it could help by locking/finding more satellites.Updating the data on my handheld unit always helps it lock on quicker and stay with a strong signal.

I was under the impression that the infotainment unit was the same as the Mazda 6 has had for years, can anyone confirm or deny this? If so, I don't understand why the same system is having problems in the CX-5.On my 2014 CX-5 the tom tom was upgraded and seemed better after that. Sounds like they could install or upgrade to a stronger signal booster (just my guess).

I know this is an older thread, but my NAV is really wonky at times. I have a brand new 2016 CX-5 GT (2 weeks old).

I too end up driving in the river for a while before a good lock, but this happens after I've been parked in an underground lot while at work, so maybe there is something that takes longer to lock after being underground....

The most problematic issue is that when I drive on the freeway, my GPS frequently shows me exiting the freeway, then driving on a surface street next to the freeway and then pops me back over - and if I am navigating to a destination at the time, I get the "re-routing" message, then once again when it realizes I am still on the freeway. I switch to GPS info and it shows 5 or 6 locked and green.

Seems to me this should be way more accurate. (With the exception of the underground scenario which I understand, I have a totally unobstructed view to the sky).
Also, isn't the antenna on the roof and not in the dash?

My 2016 mazda 6 GT nav system has been locked up for a week now. Not receiving any satellite signal. I went to the Mazda toolbox and downloaded a map update that is recommended but system is still locked. Going to dealer this week but was hoping to figure it out today myself. :( Had the car only 2 months. This is unacceptable!

My 2016 mazda 6 GT nav system has been locked up for a week now. Not receiving any satellite signal. I went to the Mazda toolbox and downloaded a map update that is recommended but system is still locked. Going to dealer this week but was hoping to figure it out today myself. :( Had the car only 2 months. This is unacceptable!

Any update on this? I purchased a new Mazda 6 GT last week and I am having the same issues!

Here is my thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123855642-Navi-Issues&p=6462393#post6462393

Last edited:
I'm at the Mazda dealer now getting my firmware flashed to the latest. Hope it helps even a little. They said if not they might swap out the unit. I'll know within a week or so I expect.

Edit: Version 760

Last edited:
My 2016 CX5 often has no satellite connectivity, in wide open spaces with nothing blocking it. It will show a location that is not on any road, and will usually not provide directions when there is no satellite available and I have programmed in an address, although if it has started providing directions for a new address after securing satellite connectivity, it will provide wacky guidance, sending me in the opposite direction I need to go.

Why can't the CX5 nav provide directions? The Googlemaps app can always provide accurate position and directions apparently without a satellite connection.

Last edited:
I once had this GPS reception issue with CX9. Later on, I tracked down the issue to an aftermarket DVR I installed.
Apparently, this DVR emitted EM wave that interfered with the GPS reception.
Once I turned off the DVR, the GPS went back to normal.

See if you have any electronics installed in your vehicle.

My 2016 CX5 often has no satellite connectivity, in wide open spaces with nothing blocking it. It will show a location that is not on any road, and will usually not provide directions when there is no satellite available and I have programmed in an address, although if it has started providing directions for a new address after securing satellite connectivity, it will provide wacky guidance, sending me in the opposite direction I need to go.

Why can't the CX5 nav provide directions? The Googlemaps app can always provide accurate position and directions apparently without a satellite connection.

You should talk to your dealer, as it is not normal to do that. Possibly the GPS antenna is faulty, or a physical connection issue.

Re google maps, it most certainly does use the GPS module in your phone to determine position, speed, etc.

I had the same issue with my 2016 CX5 GT. Had to get the GPU replaced under warranty. Chase the dealer. No s/w update is going to fix this

Reception issue is likely caused by one of the two main causes.
1) interference: other electronics on board/near by.
2) faulty GPS antenna
My two cents.

Back