help!

redskykiter

:
2016 CX5 GT, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3
Just bought a 2016 CX5 GT. I am an avid kiteboarder and used to locking my keys in the car using a a non-chip key (that I carry on the water) to get back in. Is there a way to lock my keys in the car so that anyone can't just walk up to the car and hit the button to unlock? TIA

Ryan

Ironically.. this place is really close to where I work. I might have to stop in some day for a demo.

your can pull auxiliary mechanical key out of the transmitter (key fob), wrap the transmitter in aluminum foil and hide it inside of center storage console. You carry the auxiliary mechanical key with you just like before. You can also use something like RF Shielded Pouch instead of aluminum foil. Or just remove the battery from transmitter.

No hitch. I didn't know about RF shielded pouches. I'll have to give that a try. Thank you

update: So if anyone else runs into this. I was able to make a copy of the mechanical key with an "H76" keyblank from Ace Hardware to carry on the water. I wrapped the RFID key in foil and stuck it in the center console. Locked the door with the new key. Works perfect

Last edited:
No hitch. I didn't know about RF shielded pouches. I'll have to give that a try. Thank you

update: So if anyone else runs into this. I was able to make a copy of the mechanical key with an "H76" keyblank from Ace Hardware to carry on the water. I wrapped the RFID key in foil and stuck it in the center console. Locked the door with the new key. Works perfect

Sorry about bumping such an old thread, but I couldn't find any information in the owner's manual. When you made a copy of the auxiliary key - there's no chip or anything in it, right? It's just a metal profile for opening the one lock cylinder, so it doesn't require a special key blank?

Sorry about bumping such an old thread, but I couldn't find any information in the owner's manual. When you made a copy of the auxiliary key - there's no chip or anything in it, right? It's just a metal profile for opening the one lock cylinder, so it doesn't require a special key blank?

Correct.

Back