2016 CX5 Grand Touring - Error with Front Camera?

stormcloud

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech + i-ActivSense
We bought the 2016 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring with The Tech Package and i-Activsense a few weeks ago. Everything is great, except for one occasional problem that we can't figure out.

Once or twice a week, we get the following error in the information panel:
"Front camera blocked. Defog windshield completely." (There is a picture attached.)

The problem is when this happens, the windshield is clear. There is nothing blocking the camera's view. After a minute or two, the message disappears and everything is fine.

I checked with the local dealer and they were unfamiliar with this problem. Unfortunately, it's so random, it's unlikely it will happen when we take it for them to see this firsthand.

Has anyone seen this on their 2016 CX-5? Do you have any idea what might be causing this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 2,828
We bought the 2016 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring with The Tech Package and i-Activsense a few weeks ago. Everything is great, except for one occasional problem that we can't figure out.

Once or twice a week, we get the following error in the information panel:
"Front camera blocked. Defog windshield completely." (There is a picture attached.)

The problem is when this happens, the windshield is clear. There is nothing blocking the camera's view. After a minute or two, the message disappears and everything is fine.

I checked with the local dealer and they were unfamiliar with this problem. Unfortunately, it's so random, it's unlikely it will happen when we take it for them to see this firsthand.

Has anyone seen this on their 2016 CX-5? Do you have any idea what might be causing this?

I've had it a few times. It's random but only ever happens when starting the car from a cold start. I've never seen it when starting the car after its been running for some time.

I wish I knew how to test if the iActivesense was working properly

"Front camera blocked. Defog windshield completely."
I didn't want i-ActivSense Package when I special ordered my 2016 GT AWD just because I was afraid of this. These technologies are too new and too complicated. There are Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) and laser sensor installed behind the top center windshield and radar sensor installed behind the Mazda emblem on front grill. Two radar sensors are located under the left and right bumper areas and a rear view camera is located next to electric liftgate touch-pad opener.

Standard on Touring and GT, Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) System and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) use these two rear radars; and Rear View Monitor uses rear camera.

Optional from Tech Package, Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) uses front laser.

Optional from i-ActivSense Package, Smart Brake Support (SBS) with Collision Warning uses front FSC, laser, and radar; Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) System with Close Proximity Warning, and Distance Recognition Support System (DRSS) use front radar; Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) uses FSC; High Beam Control (HBC) System uses FSC.

My guess is the humidity was high which caused the condensation on the interior side of your windshield around Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) area where you couldn't see clearly. Or the interior side of your windshield around FSC may be a little dirty and needs to be cleaned. Still, Mazda dealer should be responsible to resolve this issue if this message is popping up too often. Even if your dealer said they were unfamiliar with this problem and didn't know how to fix it, the dealer can always escalate the issue and get help from Mazda North American Operations.

I've had it a few times. It's random but only ever happens when starting the car from a cold start. I've never seen it when starting the car after its been running for some time.

I wish I knew how to test if the iActivesense was working properly

Thanks for your reply and this is the first time I posted something here :) So far we think the i-ActivSense features are working properly except this warning message...probably the system is a little too sensitive?

I didn't want i-ActivSense Package when I special ordered my 2016 GT AWD just because I was afraid of this. These technologies are too new and too complicated. There are Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) and laser sensor installed behind the top center windshield and radar sensor installed behind the Mazda emblem on front grill. Two radar sensors are located under the left and right bumper areas and a rear view camera is located next to electric liftgate touch-pad opener.

Standard on Touring and GT, Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) System and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) use these two rear radars; and Rear View Monitor uses rear camera.

Optional from Tech Package, Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) uses front laser.

Optional from i-ActivSense Package, Smart Brake Support (SBS) with Collision Warning uses front FSC, laser, and radar; Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) System with Close Proximity Warning, and Distance Recognition Support System (DRSS) use front radar; Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) uses FSC; High Beam Control (HBC) System uses FSC.

My guess is the humidity was high which caused the condensation on the interior side of your windshield around Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) area where you couldn't see clearly. Or the interior side of your windshield around FSC may be a little dirty and needs to be cleaned. Still, Mazda dealer should be responsible to resolve this issue if this message is popping up too often. Even if your dealer said they were unfamiliar with this problem and didn't know how to fix it, the dealer can always escalate the issue and get help from Mazda North American Operations.

Thanks for your input! Hopefully the warning message won't pop out too often...We chose the i-ActiveSense package mostly because for the safety of night time driving. We do have a lot of deers crossing at night around our area in Indiana. It is not uncommon to hit a deer! With the features of i-ActivSense Adaptive Front Lighting and Automatic High Beam Control on, we can see sooooo much better ahead of us! We were pretty impressed! Totally well worth the money to opt for the package.

It happened once to me: I thought it was confused by the background it was"seeing". Once I moved it out of the underground garage, everything was fine. The wall it was facing was gray in color. No problem in my garage.

I didn't want i-ActivSense Package when I special ordered my 2016 GT AWD just because I was afraid of this. These technologies are too new and too complicated.

Isn't the front camera ACBS standard in the tech package? The iActive provides an additional radar for higher speed braking and adaptive cruise. So unless you opted out of both packages you still have brake support.

That being said I've had the "warning brake!" Message appear a few times, but it only actually braked on me once.

The only time it braked for me was pulling into my garage and the door wasn't all the way open yet, I guess it thought I was too close.

The warning only I received a few times - once was when someone was turning left and I went around them on the right, another time I was driving downhill on a sharp curve in PA and another guy was doing the same in the opposite direction - we were going about 45 mph - I guess the camera angle was weird from the road and it thought we were closer then we were. But again it was just a warning on the screen no actual braking.

Last edited:
I had the front camera error message yesterday when picking up my wife. I was parked facing large glass windows on her office building. I think it just didn't like seeing it's reflection because there sure wasn't any fogging or high humidity. 60 degrees and 60% humidity with the sun out. It was in the shade where I parked so as soon as I backed out of that spot it went away. I think the camera just gets a bit confused with what it's seeing.

I didn't want i-ActivSense Package when I special ordered my 2016 GT AWD just because I was afraid of this. These technologies are too new and too complicated.
Isn't the front camera ACBS standard in the tech package? The iActive provides an additional radar for higher speed braking and adaptive cruise. So unless you opted out of both packages you still have brake support.
No, Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) in GT's Tech Package uses front laser only mounted behind the windshield. Forward Sensing Camera (FSC), used by Smart Brake Support (SBS) with Collision Warning, Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS), and High Beam Control (HBC) System, is also mounted behind the windshield. i-ActivSense Package adds Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) and front radar.

I've been trying to research, but it's hard to find any information as to what exactly SBS adds to the existing SCBS. I know SCBS only works up to 18mph and will auto-brake - does the SBS support auto-braking as well at higher speeds or does it only display a warning on the dash?

I was just telling my husband about this happening on my car and he mentioned seeing it, but he also said he saw it when it was raining and figured that might have something to do with it. I've seen it several times now, sometimes right after starting the car and sometimes right before I'm about to turn it off. So far as I can tell, it doesn't appear to have to do with humidity (it's happened mainly on dry days). It still seems to be pretty random, though.

I really hate random. It's such a pain to troubleshoot!

Yes, I also get this error message once or twice a week in my 2016 CX-5 Akera (diesel) and it comes on several times during my drive into town (20kms) and there is no fog or window obstruction. Will report it when the car goes in for its' first service and see if Mazda Australia have any thoughts.

Yes that error happens sometimes. It is related to condensation on the inside or outside of the windshield. Usually turning on front defrost will clear it up after a few minutes. It has to do with the windshield area in front of the camera (inside the car) not getting the same air circulation as the rest of the windshield, and hence, sometimes condensation happens. The defrost adds more air circulation, and clears it up.

Back