Company 2014 Ford Escape (100 miles) vs my 2014 Mazda CX5 Touring (49,400 miles)

V8toilet

:
2014 CX-5 FWD Touring auto and 2012 Mazda 5 Sport
I drove a company 2014 Escape SE with just 1000 miles on it and I have to say it wasn't bad overall. The smaller turbo engine feels good and is silent with less NVH (noise vehicle harshness) than the 2.5 in my CX5 but the CX5 engine is still noticeably stronger. Its somewhere between the Mazda 2.0 and 2.5 but closer to the 2.5 (I have owned both). I did notice some questionable fit and finish and ergonomic issues with the interior but overall my first impression was it looked decent for the price. There's definitely more flash to the futuristic looking Fords interior. The Fords seats offer less support than my CX5, which I think might be an issue on longer drives. Getting back into my Touring CX5 though brought to my attention that my CX5 interior also has some Fit and finish issues and it feels somewhat sparse and even dare I say a little cheap/dated but for 2014 its about par for the class. I think the 2016 interior refresh though might have fixed that. Overwhelmingly the most noticeable difference (Mazda I hope you're reading this) is how hushed the Escape's cabin is by comparison to my CX5. Now to be fare my CX5 has worn (49,400 miles) tires and the Escape is new but still the difference is rather huge. Even my base model regular cab V6 Ford F-150 is much quieter. My CX5 has tons of engine, road, and wind noise where the Escape is luxury quiet by comparison. The handling of the escape wasn't as sharp as the CX5 and the ride was slightly more supple but it still felt like it handled well with decent steering feel and little body lean. I think If Mazda could get the CX5 to match the Ford Escape in NVH with the upgraded interior that it might possibly have the best small SUV on the market.

Mazda, are you listening? You got everything right except for the ridiculous NVH levels.

I drove a company 2014 Escape SE with just 1000 miles on it and I have to say it wasn't bad overall. The smaller turbo engine feels good and is silent with less NVH (noise vehicle harshness) than the 2.5 in my CX5 but the CX5 engine is still noticeably stronger. Its somewhere between the Mazda 2.0 and 2.5 but closer to the 2.5 (I have owned both). I did notice some questionable fit and finish and ergonomic issues with the interior but overall my first impression was it looked decent for the price. There's definitely more flash to the futuristic looking Fords interior. The Fords seats offer less support than my CX5, which I think might be an issue on longer drives. Getting back into my Touring CX5 though brought to my attention that my CX5 interior also has some Fit and finish issues and it feels somewhat sparse and even dare I say a little cheap/dated but for 2014 its about par for the class. I think the 2016 interior refresh though might have fixed that. Overwhelmingly the most noticeable difference (Mazda I hope you're reading this) is how hushed the Escape's cabin is by comparison to my CX5. Now to be fare my CX5 has worn (49,400 miles) tires and the Escape is new but still the difference is rather huge. Even my base model regular cab V6 Ford F-150 is much quieter. My CX5 has tons of engine, road, and wind noise where the Escape is luxury quiet by comparison. The handling of the escape wasn't as sharp as the CX5 and the ride was slightly more supple but it still felt like it handled well with decent steering feel and little body lean. I think If Mazda could get the CX5 to match the Ford Escape in NVH with the upgraded interior that it might possibly have the best small SUV on the market.

Mazda, are you listening? You got everything right except for the ridiculous NVH levels.

I am shopping for a compact SUV so your review was especially timely and helpful, thanks.

Company 2014 Ford Escape (1000 miles) vs my 2014 Mazda CX5 Touring (49,400 miles)

I actually liked the look of Ford Escape. But the turbo thing just turns me off. I believe the reliability on turbo charger is still questionable and it's expensive to replace. Turbo engine can make false impression on good fuel economy from EPA rating but it actually gets worse fuel efficiency in the real world if you read test comparison from all car magazines. Ford's quality and reliability are also questionable if you read Consumer Reports. As I grow older, I prefer a more reliable car than everything else.

NVH? What is the NVH? Consumer Reports video complained about wind noise on new 2016 Mazda 6 and CX-5 even though Mazda has made some effort for better sound insulation. To me, I've only noticed the higher RPM "sound" during the first 30 seconds of start-up. I feel our 2016 CX-5 is quieter than all other older SUV's or cars we currently own. Or may be just my hearing is not as sensitive as other people because I'm getting older? (sad2)

2016 is noticeably quieter, Suspension is more taut than before but seems quieter and less wiggly over potholes. Hard to describe.

I owned a 2014 and now own a 2016. I like the 2016 better for the better NVH improvements.

I'm shopping now and comparing CUVs. Sat in a new Escape and the driver leg area was so cramped. Your right leg is pressed up against the center console wall when you press the gas pedal. It was so awkward and uncomfortable on my right leg I had to scratch the Escape off my list.

2016 is noticeably quieter, Suspension is more taut than before but seems quieter and less wiggly over potholes. Hard to describe.

I owned a 2014 and now own a 2016. I like the 2016 better for the better NVH improvements.

Had a 2014 (2.0 motor), and should be getting my 2016 (2.5 motor) in a month or so. I can't wait to see for myself.

I did remark to my wife about how loud the '14 CX-5 was at Autobahn speeds. No way was I going to try and keep up with those Audi wagons blasting by.

I looked at the Ford and I questioned the mileage ratings. After much BS from the salesman, he checked with some paper and admitted that the mileage figures were with premium gas. That would make the Ford much more expensive to operate. After thinking about this, it made sense to use premium with a turbo charged engine. I didn't want a premium burner. I agree that the turbocharger would be a maintenance item.

I looked at the Ford and I questioned the mileage ratings. After much BS from the salesman, he checked with some paper and admitted that the mileage figures were with premium gas. That would make the Ford much more expensive to operate. After thinking about this, it made sense to use premium with a turbo charged engine. I didn't want a premium burner. I agree that the turbocharger would be a maintenance item.

I love my older Escape, but I would not replace it with a new one. I do not like the Kuga styling, the turbocharged engine, the lack of a manual. They had a good thing going with the original, it was like a miniature Ford SUV.

2013 2016 Mazda CX-5 Recalls: 0

2013 Ford Escape Recalls: 12
2014 Ford Escape Recalls: 8

And we are not talking about recalls for missing a safety label, these are some of the Escape recalls:
  • Doors may Open while Driving
  • Engine Compartment Fuel Line May Leak
  • Engine Overheating may result in Fire
  • Overheat may cause Fluid Leaks Resulting in Fire
  • Cup (Freeze) Plug Dislodging (As leaking engine coolant evaporates on the hot engine, the glycol may ignite causing an engine compartment fire.)
  • Improper Plating on Fuel Pump may Result in Stall
  • Fuel Delivery Module may Crack

I have driven the Escape many times as rentals while on business and I do like it. Gas mileage didn't seem that great, but other than that it seemed to be a nice vehicle. I have never owned a Ford though and not sure what long term reliability would be like.

We've just changed to the latest after 3 years with the earlier car. I agree. We have lots of potholes and it is better over them and the cabin is a bit quieter. (2.2l diesel). Mazda say it has more sound insulation and different suspension.

I looked at the escape, strongly considered it, but, it was a bit more expensive and back then, I'd heard rumors of recalls, not sure if they'd actually happened yet. Test drove the CX-5, loved the looks, never owned or even driven a Mazda before, so, thought we'd give it a try. As I told my salesman, it will either be the first of many Mazdas in my future, or my first and last, depending how it goes.

I looked at the escape, strongly considered it, but, it was a bit more expensive and back then, I'd heard rumors of recalls, not sure if they'd actually happened yet. Test drove the CX-5, loved the looks, never owned or even driven a Mazda before, so, thought we'd give it a try. As I told my salesman, it will eitjjher be the first of many Mazdas in my future, or my first and last, depending how it goes.

The ford has poor small offset crash rating,while the cx-5 has a good rating.

2013 2016 Mazda CX-5 Recalls: 0

2013 Ford Escape Recalls: 12
2014 Ford Escape Recalls: 8

And we are not talking about recalls for missing a safety label, these are some of the Escape recalls:
  • Doors may Open while Driving
  • Engine Compartment Fuel Line May Leak
  • Engine Overheating may result in Fire
  • Overheat may cause Fluid Leaks Resulting in Fire
  • Cup (Freeze) Plug Dislodging (As leaking engine coolant evaporates on the hot engine, the glycol may ignite causing an engine compartment fire.)
  • Improper Plating on Fuel Pump may Result in Stall
  • Fuel Delivery Module may Crack
I can tell several "overheating" problems are caused by very high temperature turbo system! I know there was oil sludge class-action law suit on VW/Audi's 1.8T turbo engine and settled in 2010. I really like Mazda's SkyActiv way instead of simply adding a problematic turbo charger to "improve" EPA test circle numbers! I was wondering if this old annoy trick still applies: keep the turbo engine idling for a while before you shut the engine off to prevent the oil sludge issue?

Back