front strut bar for a cx 5

What's the difference between the Ultraracing and Megan one? The latter is about 50% cheaper.

As discussed in the posts right before yours, the Ultra Racing bar is a one piece welded bar. The Megan bar is a multipiece bar. The welded bar offers better performance (less deflection under stress, exactly what you want out of a brace like this) and durability.

While both will provide additional bracing, the UR bar is designed to be more effective and more durable. The Megan bar looks just as nice, but the bar can break, bolts can seize up, and will not be as stiff as the UR bar, no matter how many times you tighten and re-tighten the bolts. I've had both types (welded and multipiece) on the same car, and the welded one is the only one that felt like it made a difference in driving. The other one was just some cheap engine bling.

I doubt anyone including myself is going to hit a corner that hard where the cheapest strut bar would give. Too much overthinking.

I've auto-crossed with different cars and many other club members have had simple bolt on strut bars and never seen any of these Terrible symptoms happen.

Attachments

• brace2.jpg
    brace2.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 182
  • U22545_d.jpg
    U22545_d.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Sorry, but facts >> anecdotes. I don't doubt that a multi-piece bar works, but it's been tested and proven that a one piece bar is better in all aspects. Chris posted a bunch of links explaining why on the first page. It just comes down to what you want the bar for and how well you want it to work.

Strut bars should be one of the last thing anyone upgrades if they really want to improve handling anyway.

It will definitely look good on the streets, if that is the final purpose.Tanabe used to have a nice one, back in the day, for the first gen.

Pardon the confusion, but do both Megan and Ultraracing front strut bar fastened down to the vehicle via bolts? I'm confused about where the welding is for Ultraracing.

Pardon the confusion, but do both Megan and Ultraracing front strut bar fastened down to the vehicle via bolts? I'm confused about where the welding is for Ultraracing.

Ultra Racing:
719GqHJnw7L._SL1200_.jpg

Megan Racing:
51s5GWq6NpL._SL1280_.jpg

Now, these are photos from different model years, but the main difference is visible. Both bars bolt to the upper strut via 3 bolts on each side, but the Megan bar has 2 additional bolts that can be used to tighten or remove the bar from the end braces that bolt to the upper strut. That makes it a multipiece bar. The Ultra Racing bar doesn't have these 2 additional bolts - instead the bar and the end braces are all welded together.

Ultra Racing:
719GqHJnw7L._SL1200_.jpg

Megan Racing:
51s5GWq6NpL._SL1280_.jpg

Now, these are photos from different model years, but the main difference is visible. Both bars bolt to the upper strut via 3 bolts on each side, but the Megan bar has 2 additional bolts that can be used to tighten or remove the bar from the end braces that bolt to the upper strut. That makes it a multipiece bar. The Ultra Racing bar doesn't have these 2 additional bolts - instead the bar and the end braces are all welded together.

Thank you for the clear explanation. I understand now.

I have a TCR front strut brace installed on my 2016 CX-5, I got mines for $50ish bucks. Cant say I feel any difference either because I dont drive it hard, just wanted it for looks and it looks cool. On my previous card like my 98 ex civic coupe and 07 Fit sport, Iboth cars Ive had all those front, rear, lower bars etc Ive felt a difference but because Ive had a lot of bars. One for the cx-5 is hard to tell.

Back