front strut bar for a cx 5

fvansan

:
2014 mazda cx 5 gt
Did anyone install a front strut bar for a their CX 5 and if so, did you notice any measurable handling differences? if your experiences was a real benefit, where did you get the part? Thanks!

I got the part on AliExpress. I didn't notice any REAL improvement in handling because I don't drive it that hard, but I think it did improve. Maybe just perception, hard to say one way or the other. There are a number of threads here about CX-5 windshields cracking from stress do to the frame around the windshield warping. The front strut bar is a reinforcement for the frame around the windshield. Sort of insurance against the windshield cracking. Much cheaper than get insurance that covers cracked glass.

I just don't see why the ones for the CX-5 are so expensive? When I bought one for my ford probe ages ago it was about $20. It's just an aluminum bar. If it was below $100 I would consider getting one. It's interesting to think that adding a strut bar might prevent the windshield from stress cracking.

I just don't see why the ones for the CX-5 are so expensive? When I bought one for my ford probe ages ago it was about $20. It's just an aluminum bar. If it was below $100 I would consider getting one.

I think the price depends somewhat on quantity sold. I noticed that the bar for a Mazda 3 was cheaper, I assume because more people want to hot-rod a Mazda 3. These have gone up since I bought mine. But they are still under $100.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2012-2013-2014-Super-quality-balancing-bars-trolley-for-Mazda-cx5-CX-5-auto-accessories/2038866311.html

Don't get that multipiece bar. You want a rigid bar; ithey are made like that so they can easily resize it for different cars. OEM bars on high performance cars are almost never multipiece. The ultra racing bar is about $130 shipped, rigid and chassis bars are what they specialize in.
This is why you don't want multi=piece
saga1.jpg

Overview of basics of chassis bar
and here for more (animations)

2wd
4wd *The "2136" lower rear listed under 2wd fits the 4wd.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) is a good vendor also I think Nengun has them, they do A LOT of ultra racing group buys on the Mitsubishi mirage forum.

Last edited:
Chris, what are you referring to as the multi piece bar? The one with the removable end mounts?

Getting my strut bar from MEAGAN RACING. Yes they do serve a purpose and yes I drive my CX5 hard, it does stiffen the chassis. People on here that say NO... are not knowledgeable about suspension geometry. If you reinforce ANYTHING it will be better. That along a rear sway bar will make a world of difference. So if you put-put around town...no bars needed.

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
I have read, that the one piece is more rigid, than a three piece, like the one in that picture.

Getting my strut bar from MEAGAN RACING. Yes they do serve a purpose and yes I drive my CX5 hard, it does stiffen the chassis. People on here that say NO... are not knowledgeable about suspension geometry. If you reinforce ANYTHING it will be better. That along a rear sway bar will make a world of difference. So if you put-put around town...no bars needed.

Is the install as simple as removing the bolts and placing the strut bar on and reattaching the bolts? I was thinking of ordering one myself.

I have read, that the one piece is more rigid, than a three piece, like the one in that picture.

Yep that's right. A fully welded single piece will be more rigid than a multi-piece bar.

Is the install as simple as removing the bolts and placing the strut bar on and reattaching the bolts? I was thinking of ordering one myself.

Yep, it's just as you described. Very easy.

That is the one, thanks.
If you really want fixed, you could weld that $90 one as well.

You get what you pay for. Solid steel bar with no hardware to strip or seize over time. More durable than aluminum of the same thickness. I've had some hard hits (bent wheel, blew struts) over 130k and my alignments are still good

Back