Blind SPot Monitoring issue on 2009 CX9 GT

tstex

Hello to All,

My right side [while sitting in the drivers set perspective] BSM indicator is working intermittently while the left side works fine. Is there anything I can check, test or do to determine what could be the issue? I will note that I had a small fender bender on the right side inside the wheel-well where it connects to the downside of the back right door area. Could something been out of line or jolted? There is really no specific time as to when it will work or not, but the majority of the time it does not. I would say 65-35 or 70-30% it does not.

Thank you very much for your feedback. I will post back after I test out some of your suggestions.

Regards,
tstex

tstex,
Could be related to the fender bender.
Did you take the bumper cover off to inspect?
The attachment might be loose or damaged causing intermittent operation.

Thank you Ceric, good to hear from you.

I have not done anything. If you could pls provide me w any steps, literature or links to do so, I will give it a shot and post back. Pictures would be great. The bumper was not hit, only the wheel-well area. However, I know the drill on jolting or jarring electronic parts.

I appreciate your follow-up Ceric.

thanks
tstex

Ceric,

found a youtube 2013 CX5 rear bumper removal video, but I am sure this is quite diff than the 2009 CX9 back bumper removal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljMEHbBxq54

I am giving my CX9 to my daughter that that is turning 16 this weekend and I want to make sure that everything is top-notch, for the obvious reasons.

thanks again, tstex

tstex,
while this seems busy, it should give you an idea of what fasteners are actually hooking the rear cover on to the vehicle:

1T34101.jpg

(original link to the page describing each part http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/s...odel=14354&modelYear=2009&ukey_category=20246)

1T32201.jpg

(original link to the page http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=1915353&ukey_assembly=313070
67Y3X is the BSM module on the right side, and is located under the bumper cover, looks like its about $400 bucks to replace

Is the right rear still damaged at all, cosmetic or otherwise? If you also throw up some photos of the damage, other users might be able to pinpoint the issue. Could be the BSM connector got jostled and just needs to be re-hooked. If that is the case, I would recommend adding some dielectric grease to the connection to add water resistance and prevent corrosion.

Last edited:
Thank you Voldsom - appreciate your thoughtfulness on the pictorials and links.

The damaged was fixed quickly, no signs of anything.

I looked at the diagrams and I cannot see anything that indicates either a rectangle for BSM or the circular plug if you do not. The only thing I do see on the back pumper on the right side [like just right of a tow hitch] is a rectangle, but I would assume if I had the back-up camera, that it where it would go.

Can you see the blind spot devices from the outside or do you have to take off the bumper cover to see them?

Thanks,
tstex

Thank you Voldsom - appreciate your thoughtfulness on the pictorials and links.

The damaged was fixed quickly, no signs of anything.

I looked at the diagrams and I cannot see anything that indicates either a rectangle for BSM or the circular plug if you do not. The only thing I do see on the back pumper on the right side [like just right of a tow hitch] is a rectangle, but I would assume if I had the back-up camera, that it where it would go.

Can you see the blind spot devices from the outside or do you have to take off the bumper cover to see them?

Thanks,
tstex

Oh, the BSM sensor is most certainly under the bumper cover... you may be able to see it from under the car, but in the second image in my previous post you can see its on the right rear quarter panel flank of the car... Not as far back as the tailgate or anything like that... You won't be able to see it just looking at the rear or side though.

Thank you. I'll give it a shot and try looking at it from underneath and compare the good side w the ones that's not functioning properly.

BTW, we were just in Breckenridge over spring break during the March 16-23 timeframe - pretty country but not near as much snow as 2014.

Thanks again,
tstex

good luck and report back what you find.

And yep, snow came in large bursts this year, but was pretty dry in between, and we got a lot more rain in march and april than we're used to (Denver). snow pack not so great, but the moisture has been ok for drought conditions. I play around in Breck in the summer though (mtn biking), less crowded :)

Back