Rear Tire Subwoofer Installation? Help!

Sly_Boogy

:
03 Mazda Protege5 (retired)
Hey guys,
So I recently had to retire my beloved 03 Protege5 (may she rest in peace ), because of severe rust issues. Before trading it in, I removed the OEM spare tire subwoofer. Now, I know it's not the greatest sub around, but I wanted to keep it for my next car because I didn't want to spend money on a new one, haha. Because I had to trade it in the next day, I only had time to remove the unit itself and the first 8 feet of cable; that is, the section starting from the unit and ending right near the driver side rear door, where it plugs into another section. I did not get a chance to remove the rest because after the transfer, it meshes into another set of cables, which snake underneath the side board up to the front of the car. I also did not get to remove the aftermarket radio, which was installed when I got it. Because of this, I have no idea what the wiring situation is there. My question to you gents (or ladies) is what would I need to do to install this in my new car. Is there an amp? How is it wired to the radio? I bought an aftermarket stereo, a JVC KD-R760. It has a rear/sub output in the back; here is a picture of the outputs. http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2N1gxNjAw/z/1ksAAOSw-7RVGcuU/$_57.JPG My new car is a 2005 Acura RSX. I'm fairly mechanic savvy, but I have never messed with audio before, so any help is very much appreciated!

Last edited:
Is the subwoofer an aftermarket unit or OEM?

Aftermarket units are pretty simple. You'll have a short ground wire to the chassis, a power wire to the battery, and a remote wire and RCA cable that needs to be ran to the headunit. OEM units should be similar, but you'll need a diagram for the wire colors, and they may use high level inputs (tap into the rear speakers) instead of RCAs.

Last edited:
I installed one in my 2002 without the first half of the harness. The wire colors on the sub harness correspond with those on the back of the head unit. Youll need to translate color to color for the rsx, but just run the 6 or whatever wires up and splice into the stereo harness. Kinda quick and dirty, but effective. Our factory subs run more like extra rear speakers, your head unit wont know its running a sub.

Back