2011 Mazda 3 sport sedan wheel suggestions

Andrewh3

:
Mazda 3 sport sedan
I just bought this car and it currently has the 16x6.5 et53 steely wheels. I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger wheel maybe 17s? Any lead in the right direction would be great.

The TireRack page is great (it's just been updated - even the previous version was good), and it shows available sizes. Just because it isn't entirely clear on that page, the stock tire sizes for our generation are 205/55R16 and 205/50R17 (plus I think 215/45R18 on the Mazdaspeed3). You don't need to stick to stock sizes - they're relevant just because they're known to work well, and to fit without issues, although I have heard that the Mazdaspeed's 18" setup may need fender lip modification on non-Mazdaspeed bodies.

I would be tempted to go with Enkeis (14.6 lbs) That is very light and significantly lighter than the OEMs you have, I'd guess.

I eventually did get around to weighing my stock 16"x6.5" Mazda alloys:
  • I weighed one with a tire, then subtracted the tire weight to get 7.4 kg (16.3 pounds), but my tire was worn so the wheel probably weighed more than that.
  • I later weighed one bare identical wheel that I found at a salvage yard, which I recall as 8.8 kg (19.4 pounds), but that seems a little high (and the two methods should get the same number, because they are the same model of wheel).
The steel wheel would likely be a bit heavier.
In any case, a 17" wheel would be even heavier so those 17"x7"Enkeis would be substantially lighter than the equivalent stock Mazda 17" wheel. (I have a set of those, too, which I'll weigh some day).

...The stock tire sizes for our generation are 205/55R16 and 205/50R17 (plus I think 215/45R18 on the Mazdaspeed3)...

Stock tire size for a second generation Mazdaspeed3 is 225/40R18. The first generation Mazdaspeed3 did indeed use a 215/45R18, and apparently TireRack never put two and two together on recommending 18" tires for the second generation cars. The short answer is: go with a 225/40R18 if you want 18" wheels.

I've been using 225/45R17 tires on my 3 since my first set of replacement tires, and have zero problems. The shoulders tend to be a little more square, but a 225/45R17 and a 205/50R17 mounted on a 7" wide wheel will end up being almost exactly the same width.

Stock tire size for a second generation Mazdaspeed3 is 225/40R18. The first generation Mazdaspeed3 did indeed use a 215/45R18...
Excellent - thanks for the correction. :)

I've been using 225/45R17 tires on my 3 since my first set of replacement tires, and have zero problems. The shoulders tend to be a little more square, but a 225/45R17 and a 205/50R17 mounted on a 7" wide wheel will end up being almost exactly the same width.
I am considering 225/45R17 for my next summer set, but I was thinking of a 7.5" wide wheel. The stock 205/50R17 came (in the first generation) on a 6.5" wide wheel - which I'm running now on my 2012 - and that wouldn't be wide enough. So the questions:
  • What offset are you running with those 7"x17" with 225/45R17?
  • Does it look like there is enough clearance for another 1/2" of wheel width, which would pull out the sidewalls a few millimetres?

• What offset are you running with those 7"x17" with 225/45R17?
  • Does it look like there is enough clearance for another 1/2" of wheel width, which would pull out the sidewalls a few millimetres?
I'm on the stock wheels - second generation S models all used a 17 x 7". The 17" wheels (both the five spoke and the snowflakes) on the first generation cars were 6.5". If memory serves me, the offset on my wheels is 52 mm. You could easily fit a wider wheel - definitely 8" and possibly wider - under the fender. I used to have a spreadsheet that I could use to plug in potential wheel and tire combinations and get the net change in backspacing and stickout, but it got lost last year.

Regardless, my first advice for anyone looking at whether a particular combination will fit is to consult Tire Rack's available options. They're more conservative than just about any other retailer, and they'll gladly sell you several different 8" wide wheels for your 3.

If memory serves me, the offset on my wheels is 52 mm.
Stock offset - thanks :)

You could easily fit a wider wheel - definitely 8" and possibly wider - under the fender...
Good to know. In my case, I want optimal for the tire, which is more likely 7.5", but anything up to 8.5" is approved for this tire size. I also don't want the wheel rim protruding (as it increases the risk of curb damage). Aftermarket wheels tend to lower offset to move the tire outboard either to avoid inside interference or just for appearance, but I don't like that tires-don't-fit-in-the-car look and I don't want to mess with geometry, so fitting at stock offset is good (for me - Andrewh3 might have different preferences).

Most aftermarket wheels will have too much offset for me, which is one reason I find OEM wheels appealing. There is apparently a 17"x7.5" wheel for the Mazda6 which seems like it would work well (but will not be featherweight):
http://www.midwestwheelandtire.com/product/5706
(Midwest Wheel is a handy information source, but I would look for them at local auto salvage yards)

Back