Help! All indicator lights are on

sobakazu

:
2013 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
We need help because nobody knows whats cause it or even how to fix it. Last week, out of nowhere, around 5 indicator lights (BSM OFF, TCM OFF, battery, oil, seatbelt) on the dashboard turned on.
I took it to the dealer service, they think it was because of the "after market" trailer hitch wiring were touching the frame. I absolutely no idea what they're talking about. But they fixed it.
Two days later, while driving on the highway with the whole family (3 kids and a toddler), all the indicator turned on again. This time, even the gauges not working. We didn't know how fast we're going, didn't know if we have gas or not, or if the car is heating or not. The AC also not working. We drove really slow back to the house, and since it was evening already, we took the vehicle the next morning back to the dealer. My car is still under warranty. They didn't have loaner car and didn't talk about covering our rental car either.
They keep saying it was because the after market trailer hitch, so want us to take CX-9 back to the place where we installed the hitch. We had to wait over the weekend with rental car at our own cost.
Monday, my husband took it from the dealer and they said that they took off all of the trailer wiring so the trailer place can fix it. 4 miles after he drove off from the dealer, all the lights were ON again. SO obviously, it has nothing to do with the trailer wiring!!! Then at the trailer installer place, they just laughed and said it has nothing to do with the problem we have, they are more than happy to talk to the dealer if they have any question.
So my husband brought CX-9 back to the dealer, and it has been 4 days, they have no clue. They claimed they have contacted the headquarter about this problem, and ran several tests, and yesterday, they try it on the road, the same problem still has not fixed.
It is aggravating, since I love my CX-9 very much and they do not know what is wrong with the vehicle.
Anybody else experience this?

any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks

Sounds like a classic low voltage situation. Modern vehicles and their computers/sensors do not like improper voltage.

If it was my car I'd start with removing both battery terminals, cleaning the posts and the terminals, then reinstalling them good and tight. Then check the battery voltage with the car off and running. If that all checked out move on to looking at the various body grounds (no idea where they are on a CX-9, but they'll be heavy gauge wire coming off various points on the body going to a solid ground like the motor.

I had a nightmare dealing with this on my GTO. The OEM battery had leaked some acid, and under the battery tray is a wiring harness for the BCM (body control module). Months later that acid finished eating a the harness and at random every gauge in my car would go berserk, indicator lights would flash, HVAC would go nuts etc. Then *poof*, it would be fine again. I couldn't find it, and it took 2 trips to the dealer before they figured it out.

Sobakazu,

do you have a sunroof ? it's a wide known problem with the sunroof drain getting clogged and causing electrical shorts and triggering all sorts of instrument gauge lights.

I am almost positive you have a clogged sunroof drain and your BCM is getting wet.

have dealer look at the body control module (BCM) located in the driver side pillar

Water comes in through the windshield and drips into the dashboard.

http://repairpal.com/water-damage-to-body-control-module-438

same exact symptoms you are describing:

http://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-9-50/cx-9-electrical-problems-%3D-body-control-module-water-damage-23139/

Alarm going off randomly, TCS lights, parking break light, oil light, BMS light, traction control, and interior lights with door ajar lights - all randomly going off and on while driving and/or holding still! Only happens on rainy days.

Last edited:
do you have a sunroof ? it's a wide known problem with the drain getting clogged and causing electrical shorts

have dealer look at the body control module (BCM)

Water comes in through the windsheild and drips into the dashboard.

http://repairpal.com/water-damage-to-body-control-module-438

Avidien, I've heard of these sunroof drains getting clogged before, but haven't been able to find them... are they just in the tray up top between the glass and the headliner?

Avidien, I've heard of these sunroof drains getting clogged before, but haven't been able to find them... are they just in the tray up top between the glass and the headliner?

yes, there are two front drains (red ovals), it's hard to see, but need to get a step ladder and look in the front, you will be able to see them, just need to blow compressed air into them once in a while,

this sucker works like a charm, https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

you can also use the compressed air type in a aerosol can but it's not as powerful

I'll take a picture later today but they are in the sunroof tray, need to open up the sunroof, there are two more in the back but there are not easy to get too, but the most critical one is the front driver side one, the BCM is located in that pillar,

I don't think you need to worry if you don't open your sunroof too much, but if you do, dirt starts accumulating in the tray and clogs up the drain and in heavy rain the water drenches the BCM and causes all sorts of electrical issues, like remote not working, alarm going off, door ajar lights, etc.

http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/s...make=995&ukey_model=14354&ukey_category=20229

Last edited:
No, my CX-9 has no sunroof. Though it has been raining a lot in here lately. But even the Mazda headquarters can't find the problem cause? and yes they've checked the BCM as well.
All of the gauges were not working, they are all down to zero. AC is not working. Turn lights also not working (both left and right).
I am just worry that they are going to cost us fortune and trying to blame it on us. We still under warranty, but it is bumper to bumper.

Last edited:
No, my CX-9 has no sunroof. Though it has been raining a lot in here lately. But even the Mazda headquarters can't find the problem cause? and yes they've checked the BCM as well.
All of the gauges were not working, they are all down to zero. AC is not working. Turn lights also not working (both left and right).
I am just worry that they are going to cost us fortune and trying to blame it on us. We still under warranty, but it is bumper to bumper.

shoot, I really hoped it was as easy as swapping out the BCM module,

can it be a faulty Instrument Cluster ? perhaps somehow water got in there and

messed up the electrical circuits really bad,

check to see if there's any sign of water under the steering column,

a used one goes for $99 on eBay,

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
I think eskimo0101 is on to something. Definitely sounds like a bad ground somewhere, could be a worn wire or possibly not secured tightly enough. That would explain the intermittent occurrences.

Back