Install kits still good for 2016 model?

Not me, not yet. I put the Polk 3-1/2's in and I am awaiting some type of solution. I will enjoy the vehicle much more when I can upgrade the headunit.

Has anyone actually successfully installed an aftermarket HU on a 2016 CX-5 Sport? My installer can't find any information about what antenna adapter to use, nevermind the steering wheel controls. We're currently using a Nissan antenna adapter, but the reception is terrible.

Did you find adapters for the other connections (i.e. speaker/power/dim) or hard-wire?

Just poking this thread so I can read it later as I also want to upgrade my 2016 Sport. :)

Did you order one RG_Flyer? Does it work?

No, I have not. Still waiting for the other harnesses. I just happened to notice they at least added the 2016 to their list. Hopefully, they have confirmed it works. Have you made any progress on your install?

Thanks to those who shared their experience with upgrading speakers. I think I will start with that while waiting to replace the factory stereo.

Does anyone know if you could keep the steering wheel controls (volume, seek, and bluetooth) when replacing the OEM for the 2015? What about the USB and Aux ports? I was hoping to keep those active when I finally get a new head unit. Thanks!

Finally! The correct parts for the 2016 CX-5 Sport:

Update:

awpgti and I have both installed Pioneer headunits in our 2016 CX-5 Sports with base audio. It was a collective effort - some independent research and a little collaboration/testing with Metra on the ASWC-1.

It is an odd mix of hardware, but it all works, as does the Axxess AWSC-1 (all buttons) and even the USB adapter!

Here are the parts that work:

Radio Installation Harness Nissan/SubaruMetra70-7552
Antenna Adapter - HondaMetra40-HD10
Radio Install Kit Mazda Double DINMetra95-7522B
SWC InterfaceMetra/AxxessASWC-1
USB Adaptor for ToyotaMetra/AxxessAX-TOYUSB
[td]Item[/td]
[td]Manufacturer[/td]
[td]P/N[/td]

Axxess may have already updated their instructions. This is what they had us do for the ASWC-1:
  • Power and ground through the harness
  • ASWC Green/White to Pin 1H Pink/Blue in main 7552 harness
  • ASWC Grey/Red to Pin F Green/Orange @ the 28 pin Bluetooth module
  • Chassis ground Pin 1L Brown/White in main 7552 harness (use the 10mm headed bolt under the radio for chassis ground)

awpgti did a much neater install by adding extra pins to his 70-7552 harness to accommodate the connections to it, I military-spliced into the Mazda side. Both work, but his method leaves the Mazda harness unmolested.

Last edited:
This is RG_Flyer's setup which is identical to mine:
120qPy.jpg

More pics coming soon. All the parts that he listed work and have been tested to do so. Enjoy!

More pics of the Toyota USB adapter and some random pics of the ASWC-1 wiring integration etc.

cyrRFB.jpg

X7A2VM.jpg

31XZLa.jpg

baVIwO.jpg

wY0yNj.jpg

g7UiJp.jpg

My connections work (military splice & soldered), but the liquid electrical tape is not as tidy:

2wc438i.jpg

16a8uva.jpg

Although I have Bose, but still appreciate you two's effort to make this worked perfectly even including steering wheel control! Do you two use the same Pioneer HU? Which model is it? And how is the sound quality with the new aftermarket setup? Do you two add a subwoofer?

My headunit is the AVH-X5800BHS, I am not sure which model awpgti installed. I considered an underseat sub when planning, but the four 6-3/4" Kickers provide more than enough bass for my preference. I really haven't heard an OEM system that compares, based on what I test drove during the past few years. Bear in mind, I didn't test drive anything over $35K.

Im seeing only one large plug aside from USB and antenna in these pics. My pictures of my unit on page 1 show two plugs, so am I missing something here?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Im seeing only one large plug aside from USB and antenna in these pics. My pictures of my unit on page 1 show two plugs, so am I missing something here?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

That is correct, the other one isn't necessary. It is for the Bluetooth module, which is external to the factory headunit.

That is correct, the other one isn't necessary. It is for the Bluetooth module, which is external to the factory headunit.

Awesome, thanks for the info! Glad someone was able to take the initiative on this and find a solution. Any 'glitches' you have seen? do all the steering wheel controls work properly, including the phone ones?

Back