Install kits still good for 2016 model?

RG_Flyer

:
2016 CX-5 Sport MT6
Considering MT-6 Sport, but with aftermarket audio. Will the Metra 95-7522B still work in the '16 model CX-5?

Last edited:
I was wondering roughly the same thing - what are the options for an upgrade of the basic Sport stereo on the 2016 model? Now that the basic radio comes with bluetooth, is it best to go the aftermarket route as RG_Flyer asks, or maybe better to look for an OEM touch screen unit to replace the stock one?

The kit will work. Wiring kit from 2015 *WILL NOT* This is what the new stereo back looks like on my stock head unit. I've been trying to find if they maybe matched this up with a prior year on another model, but i haven't found anything. I'm guessing it will be a waiting game for the wiring ATM.

IMG_20150404_121230.jpgIMG_20150404_121248.jpg

Very interesting - thanks dcherry88.

Not sure if this link will work or not, but on Ebay you can see the backs of the older navigation units - does the back of this one as an example seem to have the same wiring?

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Not sure if the wiring itself is the same, but the plugs are different sizes. Were this my car and not a new lease vehicle, i might be willing to start cutting wires if i had a good idea of what cable went to what and bypass any harnesses.

I'm in the process of upgrading the head unit and speakers on a 2016 CX-5 Sport (Basic head unit with 4 speakers) and just confirmed that the harnesses in the back are different(exactly like dcherry88 pics). I will go ahead and install the speakers and return the PAC RP4-MZ11 kit that works with the 2015 models because I don't want to cut wires, even though I'm pretty sure they are color coded like the older models. Let's keep this post active and see if somebody finds a way around it or a new wiring kit is released.

I'm in the process of upgrading the head unit and speakers on a 2016 CX-5 Sport (Basic head unit with 4 speakers) and just confirmed that the harnesses in the back are different(exactly like dcherry88 pics). I will go ahead and install the speakers and return the PAC RP4-MZ11 kit that works with the 2015 models because I don't want to cut wires, even though I'm pretty sure they are color coded like the older models. Let's keep this post active and see if somebody finds a way around it or a new wiring kit is released.

Care to review how the speaker upgrade performs with the stock head-unit? What did you upgrade to? Did you add the additional two speakers?

Care to review how the speaker upgrade performs with the stock head-unit? What did you upgrade to? Did you add the additional two speakers?

I upgraded all 4 speakers with Kicker 41DSC654 2 way speakers and the sound clarity is better but the stock basic head unit is very weak and can't really power the upgraded speakers properly. Today I added 2 Kicker 41DSC354 3.5" 2 way speakers to the dash and that made a noticeable difference filling the cabin with more sound. I confirmed that the 2016 4 speaker models, like the previous years, are prewired for 2 dash speaker and installation is very simple and worth every penny. We really need the new adapters to replace this crappy head units, I'm about to take it to a shop to see if they can make it happen without cutting wires. I had to return the PAC RP4-MZ11 kit that I ordered thinking that it would fit.

Thank you awpgti, that is good information. I plan to buy a 2016 soon, it will be nice to have the adapters. It is a shame they changed it as others had documented in detail how to deal with the Sport regarding aftermarket audio and PAC integration.

I know. It will be a waiting game for the new adapters to come out I guess. Unless somebody figures out something soon.

I know. It will be a waiting game for the new adapters to come out I guess. Unless somebody figures out something soon.

I checked with Crutchfield last week and they said to keep checking back. Anyone else found a solution or cut and spliced?

Crutchfield still doesn't list the 2016 CX-5. Let's keep this alive, anybody made any progress installing an aftermarket head unit on a 2016?!

Crutchfield still doesn't list the 2016 CX-5. Let's keep this alive, anybody made any progress installing an aftermarket head unit on a 2016?!

pinouts for the radio plugs are available online so you could always hardwire the radio in without plugs.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847309-2016-Mazda-Connect-Head-Unit-pinout

From those diagrams the only thing left to question would be the SWC wires. They might be the ST-SW wires, but that can be tricky to test. (and hopefully an adapter can program in)

Last edited:
Last edited:
How about just the antenna connection, does anyone know of an adapter for the antenna? I can hardwire the powers, grounds, speakers etc.

After reading many threads, the consensus seems to be that the single best upgrade to the CX-5 Sport's audio is the addition of the 3.5's up front, most using Polk dB351's.
I think I will start with that, maybe add the Kenwood under-seat sub (KSC-SW11) that rates well, then wait and see regarding the HU install kit. I can certainly use my phone and/or Garmin portable GPS for nav in the meantime.

Has anyone actually successfully installed an aftermarket HU on a 2016 CX-5 Sport? My installer can't find any information about what antenna adapter to use, nevermind the steering wheel controls. We're currently using a Nissan antenna adapter, but the reception is terrible.

Back