87, 89 or 91 octane?

87, 89 or 91 octane?

Votes: 69 88.5%

Votes: 3 3.8%

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters
I think I have the octane queation down. However the premium grade at some stations has additives that clean out the 'insides' right? It wouldn't hurt to fill with this every month or so?

Gasoline is a federally regulated product. With that regulation there are minimum detergent requirements that gasoline sold in the U.S. must have. Words like premium are marketing terms used to trick your mind. If you want to "clean" your engine, don't be afraid to floor it once in a while.

The only time premium could lead to higher mpg is if it isn't fortified with ethanol. Though rare, I have ran across some stations that don't use ethanol on their higher octane fuels.

I think I have the octane queation down. However the premium grade at some stations has additives that clean out the 'insides' right? It wouldn't hurt to fill with this every month or so?

AS far as I know it does not hurt anything to fill up with premium 91, and it may help the driving performance. Go for it !

AS far as I know it does not hurt anything to fill up with premium 91, and it may help the driving performance. Go for it !

I accidentally filled my Honda Civic with 91 and it gave me a gas-cap idiot light warning until the next fill-up when I used 87 again, so, it did change something enough to trigger the idiot light, but, it ran fine.

Not on the cx5 as the ecu has no way to take advantage of it. You would be purely wasting your money.
Agreed. Unless you have non-US version SkyActiv G with 14:1 compression ratio, using premium in our CX-5 here is just a waste of money.

If you want more detergent, just make sure to use top-tier regular gas which contains more detergent exceeding government's standard.

Higher octane isnt beneficial to run in your vehicle unless the manufacturer calls for it or the vehicle is tuned for it, or is equipped with octane sensors to tell the call what octane is in it and switch to appropriate maps.

Page 3-21 of the 2015 CX-5 Owner's Manual (USA) - Use octane rating "87 [ (R+M)/2 method] or above."
That doesn't mean there is a benefit to using higher octane fuel, but it can be used.

I've always driven trucks with poor mpg so never really considered anything above 87 octane fuel. However, I'm considering switching to 91 for this car. It would only be a few more bucks per fill up and when I think how often I spend a couple bucks w/o a second thought I'm thinking, "why not"? Any real world benefit to running higher octane or am I just throwing money away? What are you running? If you have a gas station preference, please list that as well.

This motor is tuned for 87 Octane, from what I understand.

Octane is bad. Why? All it really is is an impurity introduced to the fuel to make it harder to ignite, so that it won't combust before the piston is at the bottom (or top, depending on your concept) of its stroke and the spark fires. If this were to happen in mild cases, it would unbalance the engine harmonics, and you would GREATLY increase wear, lose power, etc. Modern vehicles have variable timing and the computer senses minute harmonics changes and retards this timing, so as to accommodate sub-par fuel. This causes a loss in power. In the 2015 Mustang GT, 87 octane is a programmed fuel map, with 91 octane preferred. You lose roughly 15 horsepower to your cheapness, if you run 87. This is on a 400+ horsepower 5.0L V8. On older vehicles, you just lost efficiency and the motor died sooner rather than later. In extreme cases, a piston would fracture or peel like an onion or the flame-front would be more focused and burn a hole straight through it. All "one and done" type failures. Newer cars, as I said, just pull timing and you motor on blissfully unaware that you are narrowly avoiding catastrophe, and probably not noticing the few hp you lose, anyway.

But...these engines were designed to function properly on 87 octane. 87 octane has a higher potential energy (due to less impurity). 87 Octane is cheaper. 91 octane won't cause the ECU to give you any more timing advance than 87 will, if the system is optimized for 87 octane. So...DO NOT use 89+. It's a waste of money.

Now...if Mazda "lied" and the ECU is very adaptive and simply adds timing until pre-knock is detected and them backs off a touch...yeah, then the highest octane you can buy is the most effective solution. However, I somehow just don't think they did this. Call it a hunch.

Now...if Mazda "lied" and the ECU is very adaptive and simply adds timing until pre-knock is detected and them backs off a touch...yeah, then the highest octane you can buy is the most effective solution. However, I somehow just don't think they did this. Call it a hunch.
No, Mazda didn't lie. Mazda actually purposely lowered compression ratio from 14:1 to 13:1 and lost 3~5% horsepower on SkyActiv-G gasoline engines just for North America market as the US consumers like to use low-octane regular gas.

No, Mazda didn't lie. Mazda actually purposely lowered compression ratio from 14:1 to 13:1 and lost 3~5% horsepower on SkyActiv-G gasoline engines just for North America market as the US consumers like to use low-octane regular gas.

That doesn't mean they can't use adaptive timing to take advantage of 93+ Octane when it is introduced into the system. That said, they say NOTHING about this, and I highly doubt they would bother...but since they dropped a compression point just for the NA market...they might go the extra mile.

Back