Bought used 2015 CX-5 Touring. 28k miles. Should I buy extra warranty??

gsosa10

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring
I recently bought the cx5 touring. The dealership offered me an extended warranty. I honestly don't remember if it was 36,000 or 60,000 more miles bumper to bumper for almost $2000. My mazda has 28,000 miles on it currently. At first it looked like a smart option. But I turned it down for now. I want to know what you guys think.

It is my first mazda car. So I don't know what common issues mazdas have. I had a VW before and if I was in the same situation back then, I would have gone for the extended warranty just bc VW are known for their electrical problems. But I know very little about Mazdas. I have a lot of learning to do.

Is the extended warranty a smart option or no?

Is it smart? Depends on the cost and coverage, and your ability to cover repair costs without the warranty. Same as any other insurance - which is what a warranty is. But for $2000, you should be covered for at least 100,000 total miles with no deductible. At least.

I recently bought the cx5 touring. The dealership offered me an extended warranty. I honestly don't remember if it was 36,000 or 60,000 more miles bumper to bumper for almost $2000. My mazda has 28,000 miles on it currently. At first it looked like a smart option. But I turned it down for now. I want to know what you guys think.
It is my first mazda car. So I don't know what common issues mazdas have. I had a VW before and if I was in the same situation back then, I would have gone for the extended warranty just bc VW are known for their electrical problems. But I know very little about Mazdas. I have a lot of learning to do.
Is the extended warranty a smart option or no?
We too have owned many VW's before and now we're giving up on it due to too many problems and are jumping the ship to Mazda CX-5. I usually fix cars by myself and we'll decline the extended warranty most of time, especially the third-party ones as you're out of luck if they are out of business. VW has no manufacture extended warranty available and even if there is one I'd think it's useless as we have had trouble to get VW's new car warranty to cover our engine problems.
Mazda used to be also problematic. But I believe since Ford left Mazda and Mazda shut down the US assembly plant, the all Japanese CX-5 should have better quality and reliability. Consumer Reports has also rated Madza CX-5 has better predicted reliability than Honda CR-V. We bought an Honda's extended warranty when we bought our 1998 CR-V but it's never been used. We declined Mazda's extended warranty when we bought our 2016 CX-5 based on our experience from CR-V and Consumer Reports. Mazda's SkyActiv Technology has no unreliable devices such as turbo charger and CVT. The only unpredictable factor to you is your CX-5 is a used car. You'll never know how the previous owner treated your CX-5. And there was a reason why he/she got rid of this CX-5 so early. And hopefully it was not quality or reliability issue due to lack of proper maintenance. That's why we always wait and save enough money then get a new car just to avoid those unknowns on the used car.

By any chance was the car certified pre-owned ? If so the warranty was extended by 12 months/12000 miles and drivetrain to 7year/100000 miles. If it wasn't certified you still have the remainder of the 3 year/36000 miles factory warranty to decide.

We too have owned many VW's before and now we're giving up on it due to too many problems and are jumping the ship to Mazda CX-5. I usually fix cars by myself and we'll decline the extended warranty most of time, especially the third-party ones as you're out of luck if they are out of business. VW has no manufacture extended warranty available and even if there is one I'd think it's useless as we have had trouble to get VW's new car warranty to cover our engine problems.
Mazda used to be also problematic. But I believe since Ford left Mazda and Mazda shut down the US assembly plant, the all Japanese CX-5 should have better quality and reliability. Consumer Reports has also rated Madza CX-5 has better predicted reliability than Honda CR-V. We bought an Honda's extended warranty when we bought our 1998 CR-V but it's never been used. We declined Mazda's extended warranty when we bought our 2016 CX-5 based on our experience from CR-V and Consumer Reports. Mazda's SkyActiv Technology has no unreliable devices such as turbo charger and CVT. The only unpredictable factor to you is your CX-5 is a used car. You'll never know how the previous owner treated your CX-5. And there was a reason why he/she got rid of this CX-5 so early. And hopefully it was not quality or reliability issue due to lack of proper maintenance. That's why we always wait and save enough money then get a new car just to avoid those unknowns on the used car.

The CX-5 was a rental. I've heard different opinions on rental cars. I heard that you know for sure that the vehicle was being maintained routinely by the rental company. I also heard that since its a rental, the drivers will drive the crap out of the car. So I took my chances and purchased it. I think in 6 months I'll trade it in for a new 2015 CX-5 GT. Which should be a lot cheaper since the 2016s are out already.

The CX-5 was a rental. I've heard different opinions on rental cars. I heard that you know for sure that the vehicle was being maintained routinely by the rental company. I also heard that since its a rental, the drivers will drive the crap out of the car. So I took my chances and purchased it. I think in 6 months I'll trade it in for a new 2015 CX-5 GT. Which should be a lot cheaper since the 2016s are out already.

I have purchased a former rental car and it provided me years or great driving reliability. Unlike some privately owned cars, rental cars typically do receive regular maintenance service.

If you plan to keep your current CX-5 just for a short period of time, then you don't need extended warranty. BTW, back to February/March this year when we started shopping 2016 CX-5, the dealer had 20+ 2015 CX-5's. I stopped by on the other day to get my license plate, they had ONE 2015 CX-5's left! The salesman told me Mazda offered heavy discount on 2015 CX-5's and they were gone really fast!

Read the warranty! A friend had me read hers, all repairs must be done by a licensed machanic, not the gas station down at the corner and deffinetly not you. Factory parts only, no upgrades or custom parts or they can wiggle out of paying!

I have purchased a former rental car and it provided me years or great driving reliability. Unlike some privately owned cars, rental cars typically do receive regular maintenance service.

Same here.

Back