My 2002.5 P5 AwesomeSauce build thread

They're mostly used for cooling the pistons I'm assuming. Forged pistons should have better cooling capabilities than cast pistons. If they were to fail, break, etc, the engine is toast.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Alright so the oil squirters are the biggest pain in the ass. I've tried prying them out with a prybar with no luck. One of the tips broke off somehow when I was trying to get it out. Im just gonna let the machine shop take them out when I send them the block.

28390708476_4a3633be97_b.jpg

27807348273_79b74034b7_b.jpg

So in the meantime, I went ahead and cleaned the block with a lot of purple power inside and out as best as I could. Used a whole bottle lol. Block is now all clean and has a few layers of primer already. Gonna let it dry and paint it black when I get the time. Also ordered a 1.8 coilpack that should be coming in tomorrow. Seems like its gonna be a looooong time before the engine goes in.

28390682936_7ee0480ba8_b.jpg

28140521860_c4c3453784_b.jpg

28140536500_eb8b3f12bf_b.jpg

Why paint it before the machine shop washes it? I used a socket to twist the oil squirters with a flat blade pry tool underneath them

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I thought about that but I got tired of looking at the block and all the build up oil and grime. I think I'll just leave it printed and paint when I get it back from the shop. I know my reasoning is dumb lol.

Seems like it takes two people to remove the squirters. I can twist them but it requires both my hands.

Last edited:
Spend about 2 hours swapping the shims to find the correct clearances. When I purchased the head, all the lifter buckets were out of place so I had to figure out where each one went. Was able to get pretty good clearances except for one that my feeler gauge couldn't read (gauge's smallest one is .008 and that didn't fit).

28162004913_4578687e7b_b.jpg

I know the service manual says the standard for valve clearance is .010 +- .001, but will having the clearance set at .008 really make that much of a difference? My gauge doesn't have a .009 or a .011 so I couldn't really tell if the clearance was off by +- .001. I might go out and by another feeler gauge that has more settings so I can see if the clearances are actually off by .001 or .002.

Last edited:
Went out and bought another feeler gauge. Checked over everything again and i'm pretty happy that only two are out of spec. Would've been awesome if all of them were perfect. Now I just need to measure the shim and find out the correct size I need to get. Then getting new valve guides and sending the head off.

28174303194_4a337b8114_b.jpg

28177587023_552eae616c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. Not that much curb rash, the gel center cap is cracked on 3 of the wheels, still have a lot of tire life left. The only bad thing is that they're plast-dipped....... Picked them up pretty cheap though. Gonna be cleaning them up, repainting and going with spacers

Alright, test fitted the new wheels and I think I'm going to change up my cars stance. Gonna raise up my car a bit and go for a track/more functional stance. Gonna get spacers also to make the wheels flush with the fenders.

32d42acd42333b51fe394ad300e733a1.jpg

4a3104d49d25ef40cee771400fd79cee.jpg

3 out of the 4 wheels no longer have plasti-dip. This reminds me of how much I don't like plasti-dip lol.

26771c2f5d51c010cc74e37845b651ab.jpg

I like the silver. Those'll look great. I have seven good rh's. One has a huge crack. Three of them have curbage that needs tending to. You'll need like 32mm spacers to get flush in the front. That is so hard on wheel bearings though.

They look good in the picture but they're fading pretty badly. Gonna repaint them either with the same color or something else, not sure yet. Why so many lol? What about going to bolt-on spacers? Does that help with the bearing life?

I had my original four, then I recently got a set of four for free odd some guy. 2 bad center caps, one cracked wheel, and all four aee curbed, but it's good to have spares. I'd keep yours silver. Or maybe gold. And bolt on or not, a spacer that big pries on the bearing a whole lot.

To fit the rh's better I just went much lower than I would have if they were wider. I've got about a finger gap between the rim and fender in the rear, and two fingers in the front. Tucking in the front requires some sunkness, so it looks pretty decent.

I might be raising my car up and going for more of a grip stance. I think I found out what size spacer I'm going with but now I'm just focused on painting the wheels. Had a mistake but was able to fix it and now the wheels are starting to look amazing!

Just a little preview

673db6f9b03e010353af24aded1c729a.jpg

Duplicolor silver metallic. Screwed myself over the first time I painted the wheels, lesson learned. Spray medium coats and be close to the wheel

Back