My 2002.5 P5 AwesomeSauce build thread

:
2002.5 Mazdaspeed Protege5
Whats up everyone, decided to create a build thread for my car as it is going to be undergoing some major changes. Everything was completely stock on the car when I first got it besides the lowering springs which gave it a sporty look and I loved it. The car roughly had about ~112K miles when I purchased it for 2k.

Engine:
-Haltech Sprint 500 ECU
-BEGI T3 Top mount w/ EWG welded on
-Garrett Clone GTX3071R
-Tial 38MM MVS EWG
-Toyota 1ZZ-FE Coil on Plug Conversion
-MAC Boost Solenoid
-GM Air and Coolant Temp sensors
-Cherry Hall Effect Cam and Crank Sensors
-Supertech Single Spring and Titanium Retainers
-Wiseco 9:1 .020 Pistons
-Molnar Rods
-ACL Bearings (Main, Rods, Thrust)
-Signature Bypassed Oil Pump
-Peterson Oil PRV
-Treadstone Performance Braided Lines and Fittings
-Treadstone Performance -16AN Fittings and Lines for Upper and Lower Radiator Hose
-Treadstone Performance T3 Titanium Turbo Blanket
-Treadstone Performance Air Filter and Filter Cover
-Hydra Fuel Rail
-Hydra VC Dress Up Kit
-Hydra Thermostat Neck
-Hydra Crank Pulley
-Deatschwerks 600CC Injectors
-Deatschwerks 300C Fuel Pump(340LPH)
-Deleted Heater Core
-Repainted Engine Bay w/ Rattle Cans!
-Ebay 2.5" intercooler piping
-Mishimoto Z-line intercooler
-Custom Intake
-3" Straight pipe exhaust
-3" Custom Downpipe
-Full AWR 95 Duro Engine Mounts
-Ralco RZ STS
-Deleted Cruise Control
-Deleted Windshield Washer Tank
-Semi Wire Tuck
-VCTS deleted
-VICS deleted
-Lightly ported and polished Intake Manifold
-AC and PS Delete
-Signature Powder Coated Valve Cover
-Signature Powder Coated Upper/Lower Coolant Housings
-Signature Powder Coated Turbo Compressor Housing
-Signature Powder Coated Strut Tower Bar Brackets

Suspension/Wheels:
-BC Coilovers
-MSP Racing Harts
-Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2
-AutoZone Lug Nuts
-Gorilla Lock Nuts
-MX6 Rear Strut Tower Bar
-Corksport Front Strut Tower Bar
-Depowered Steering Rack

Interior:
-Gloss Aluminum Bezels
-Custom Center Radio Surround Gauge Pods
-AEM Boost/AFR/Oil Pressure Gauges
-Hydra Gauge Rings
-LED Interior Lights
-KEI Project Shift Knob
-Amazon Shift Boot
-Pioneer FH-X721 Bluetooth Radio
-Stock Door Speakers and Tweeters
-AudioPipe 4k watt Amp for Door Speakers

Exterior:
-MSP Lip
-STI Lip W/O Canards
-DG MotorSports Fiberglass Grill
-Street Scene Carbon Fiber Hood
-Deleted Rear Wiper
-Deleted Door Molding
-Roof Rack Rail Delete Strips
-DDM 5k HID's
-Retrofit Headlights
-EDM Taillight Converted to 4 bulbs

Things Coming Soon:
-SideSkirt Extension
-New Wheels

Last edited:
wow. thats low.. on coils i imagine? nice clean ride. that msp setup will pep it up significantly too.

wow. thats low.. on coils i imagine? nice clean ride. that msp setup will pep it up significantly too.

lol, I wish it was on coils. Sadly, I spend my coilover money on the MSP setup. Currently on sleeves that was included with the car when I bought it but werent installed. The last picture on the first post is the lowest the car was but is now raised up a bit more. Struts couldnt handle it but is now fine.

so... no more plastidip? cause thats good. looks great man. lemme know if you have any issues with the install of the msp setup. im gonna pull mine off and do the same thing you are.

so... no more plastidip? cause thats good. looks great man. lemme know if you have any issues with the install of the msp setup. im gonna pull mine off and do the same thing you are.

Nope. Only things staying plasti-dipped are the rear valence which needs to done again and the rear wing as the paint is really really bad. Nice! I do have some questions as to where the vac lines go and where the water return goes.

Last edited:
ehhh. i wont know til i do it honestly. i was thinking of just deleting the throttle body and using those water lines for the turbo. until i get it all off the car i dont have answers for you. before all that though i need to get a custom midpipe made to mate to my pope.

ehhh. i wont know til i do it honestly. i was thinking of just deleting the throttle body and using those water lines for the turbo. until i get it all off the car i dont have answers for you. before all that though i need to get a custom midpipe made to mate to my pope.

Sounds good, just need to find out where the bpv and wastegate vac lines go and where the line comming of the side of the oil cooler connects to.

This piece. I tried to visually see where it goes but had no luck.
2q99umc.jpg

Last edited:
well, perhaps ill take my intake mani off this week and have a browse. vac lines can go wherever. the only one that is important is the brake booster line. it is on the bottom of the manifold, the biggest one for sure. but it has a one way valve in it to prevent the brakes from seeing positive pressure. if you didnt get that line in your kit, make sure you install a valve into the brake booster line.

you can T your wga off one of the larger top side lines, t the bov off a different one. of course you could just use a vac block as well and t off any line you like. just choose a fat one.

ps, might not be a bad time to get a new clutch. im not sure if you can install that MBSP without taking the trans out.

well, perhaps ill take my intake mani off this week and have a browse. vac lines can go wherever. the only one that is important is the brake booster line. it is on the bottom of the manifold, the biggest one for sure. but it has a one way valve in it to prevent the brakes from seeing positive pressure. if you didnt get that line in your kit, make sure you install a valve into the brake booster line.

you can T your wga off one of the larger top side lines, t the bov off a different one. of course you could just use a vac block as well and t off any line you like. just choose a fat one.

Thanks for the info! A vacuum block is sure to come later on. I should have everything really soon. Found a cold pipe and a condenser. Just need the radiator brackets and Im set!

ps, might not be a bad time to get a new clutch. im not sure if you can install that MBSP without taking the trans out.

I would like to get a new clutch but mine was replaced not so long ago. About 6 months ago. And im short of money rn but I just got a job and should be able to pay for some more goodies (thumb)

edit: nm, the p5 ones sink in where the msp ones are level..

Last edited:
Update: Purchased an MSP A/C condenser. Radiator mounting brackets on their way and should be delivered tomorrow. MSP radiator has a crack in it so I have to find a replacement.

Some recent pictures I found on my laptop. Also forgot to say that I added yellow fog overlays.

6r5ap4.jpg
xn5lww.jpg

Last edited:
Installed MSP A/C condenser yesterday and filled the system with refrigerant. No leaks so im super happy about that. Nice cold A/C but I still need to fix my level 2 and 3 which are not working :/ Still need a cold pipe and a radiator. Getting paid next week so I should have everything by then.

2lnzj3o.jpg

this may seem like a stupid question but how does that cooler go on/come off? just a long ass socket?

this may seem like a stupid question but how does that cooler go on/come off? just a long ass socket?

Its just two bolts that hold it in place. You also need to take off the two A/C lines that are screwed onto each end and the condenser will come right out. You might want to take off the upper radiator brackets and push the radiator back so you have space to take the condenser out.

Back