'16 mpg

KCSam

:
2016 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
Only had my new '15 GT for 3 weeks now, so still breaking it in. I only have a couple hundred miles total on it. For those who've had for a bit, what's your opinion on cruise control and the MPG you're getting when utilizing? Are you seeing better MPG average when using cruise control on the freeway or not using at all?

Only had my new '15 GT for 3 weeks now, so still breaking it in. I only have a couple hundred miles total on it. For those who've had for a bit, what's your opinion on cruise control and the MPG you're getting when utilizing? Are you seeing better MPG average when using cruise control on the freeway or not using at all?

You should avoid cruise control while in the break-in period. You should vary engine speeds, change gears if needed and avoid long periods of time while the engine is running at the same speed.

To your question, it does not seem to hurt the MPG to use cruise control, though it is possible to get better millage without it if you have hills on your route, by climbing the hill at a lower speed and avoiding engine braking while going down, so not to lose momentum for the next hill. This will have only a small effect though. The largest effect is to drive slower on the highway.

It is NOT recommended to use cruse control or WOT during the break-in period. You are too early to be looking at mileage. ed

Thanks for the info. What is considered the unofficial "break-in" period when dealing with mileage?

It is NOT recommended to use cruse control or WOT during the break-in period. You are too early to be looking at mileage. ed

And by "WOT" I assume that is to mean wide open throttle? As in flooring the pedal and revving up the engine to it's max potential?

I use first oil change or ~ 5,000 miles although 80% is done by 2,000 or even less IMO. This based on UOA and wear metals. Ed

Thanks for the info. What is considered the unofficial "break-in" period when dealing with mileage?
The Mazda-recommended "official" break-in period is 600 miles. Sounds like someone needs to read the owners manual.

Sounds like someone needs to read the owners manual.

I don't have an owner's manual. The dealership has them on back order due to over distribution during the auto-show last month. But thanks for your assumption and opinion on what I should be reading.

Sam, give it a thousand miles or so, then you can drive the s*** out of it. 5k is too long.
I think maybe the owners manual comment might have been directed at the guy who told you to wait 5k. :)

Don't be too bummed. 16mpg is about what I got outta my RX-7. (rlaugh) I thought this was gonna be a rotary thread!
(WOT = wide open throttle)

Last edited:
I purchased a new 2015.5 a couple months back. I have 2K miles on it so far and I'm getting an average of 31mpg so far. Very happy
At around 400 mi. I noticed the CX developed more power and settled in.
Never taken he rover 80mph and made no other adjustments in driving or breaking in.

Sam, give it a thousand miles or so, then you can drive the s*** out of it. 5k is too long.
I think maybe the owners manual comment might have been directed at the guy who told you to wait 5k. :)

Don't be too bummed. 16mpg is about what I got outta my RX-7. (rlaugh) I thought this was gonna be a rotary thread!
(WOT = wide open throttle)

Thank you. I found this in the link Paris1 supplied above:

Break-In Period
No special break-in is necessary, but a few
precautions in the first 1,000 km (600
miles) may add to the performance,
economy, and life of your Mazda.
l Do not race the engine.
l Do not maintain one constant speed,
either slow or fast, for a long period of
time.
l Do not drive constantly at full-throttle
or high engine rpm for extended
periods of time.
l Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
l Avoid full-throttle starts.
l Do not tow a trailer.

I'm only getting 25.6 right now, but still on my first tank of gas. Haven't done a TON of driving on the freeway, so I'd say the majority of this is from city driving. Once I refuel this this week, I'll reset and see where I am at.

Your RX-7 comment was funny. I feel you. I had an '04 RX-8 that I just traded in for my CX-5 and I got about the same MPG. Awful MPG and oil consumption! It was a fun car to drive though. I do miss it.

Back