Cracked Windshield on 2016 CX-5

buying a new 2016 cx-5 GT today. I hope I don't see the cracks..
mazda canada and local dealer seems to know about the issue.

Your dealer seems to know about "the issue"?

You mean about the issue where rocks, freeway speeds and glass don't mix?

My previous 4 cars (some I still have);

1993 VW Eurovan
2000 Volvo S80
2010 Ford F-150
2013 Mazda CX-5

All had a cracked windshield within the first 2 years of ownership requiring replacement except for the CX-5 which is still on it's factory glass after almost 3 years ownership. But that's a pretty good dealer you have there who is already warning you about "the issue" before you have even signed the papers! Oh, I see you have one post... here's to you sharing photos of your new CX-5! You must be one happy camper!

they did not warn me about the stress crack. when I asked them, they did not deny it.
I was not talking about regular cracks. I know it can happen with rocks.
I was talking about the stress crack everybody else has experienced here so far.
also, seems the glass is not as strong as before. my old car got hit by rocks many times without crack..hoping the new one will be as strong as the old one.
Your dealer seems to know about "the issue"?

You mean about the issue where rocks, freeway speeds and glass don't mix?

My previous 4 cars (some I still have);

1993 VW Eurovan
2000 Volvo S80
2010 Ford F-150
2013 Mazda CX-5

All had a cracked windshield within the first 2 years of ownership requiring replacement except for the CX-5 which is still on it's factory glass after almost 3 years ownership. But that's a pretty good dealer you have there who is already warning you about "the issue" before you have even signed the papers! Oh, I see you have one post... here's to you sharing photos of your new CX-5! You must be one happy camper!

they did not warn me about the stress crack. when I asked them, they did not deny it.

If you ask a truthful person about something they have never heard exists, they cannot deny it. That is a far cry from saying "seems to be aware of the issue".

I was not talking about regular cracks. I know it can happen with rocks.
I was talking about the stress crack everybody else has experienced here so far.

My impression is there have been very few cracked windshields without impact. Yet you claim it is common without providing a source.

hoping the new one will be as strong as the old one.

Photos of your new car??

... I was talking about the stress crack everybody else has experienced here so far.
Don't worry too much about it on this. Not "everybody" here has experienced stress crack on the windshield. I've seen one incident since I joined the forum in March. Remember there is no perfect cars in the world. You'll always find something that doesn't live up the expectation. As long as it is reasonable then we can let it go. Just look at the brighter side of the CX-5 and enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
my brand new CX-5 took some debris in highway driving yesterday. heard a sharp crack but there was nothing embedded. the result is a small bullethole-style crack that thankfully didn't go all the way through the glass.

my question: given that I highly doubt dealer will fix under warranty, can I just leave it alone? do I need to attempt a repair or have it replaced?

thanks

my brand new CX-5 took some debris in highway driving yesterday. heard a sharp crack but there was nothing embedded. the result is a small bullethole-style crack that thankfully didn't go all the way through the glass.
my question: given that I highly doubt dealer will fix under warranty, can I just leave it alone? do I need to attempt a repair or have it replaced?
thanks
Just last week our old Honda CR-V windshield hit something very loud and caused a chip with several crack lines. From my past experience I'd like to have it fixed ASAP or the crack lines will keep growing and become out of control. I don't like replacing the windshield as not only it's expensive but also it may cause leak problem later. And the process looks horrible. Luckily I Googled and found this guy with 5-star rating, GlassLogic Windshield Repair. He is doing mobil service only and charged only $55 for our crack repair. The result is much better than I expected and I don't have to worry about further damage to the windshield from this crack like I experienced from the other car.

No, it's not weird. They were a group of CX-5 owners in Taiwan protesting several safety, quality, and maintenance issues they've experienced. Easy to crack windshield; warranty denied for engine trouble, especially on diesel, for the reason of using non-Mazda-dealer provided oil; inconsistent specifications provided by Mazda and dealers on oil filter (part no. been changed 3 times) and transmission fluid which caused engine and transmission damages by using those Mazda parts and fluid.

So the weak windshield on CX-5 seems to be the world wide issue. Some info I've seen on not making SkyActiv-D diesel available in the US is because there are some reliability issues, i.e. oil blown by, haven't been resolved. We have much stronger consumer power (I hope) which may scare Mazda to get the diesel into the US. The failure of rotary engine is still too fresh to forget.

Funny thing is the background song was in Cantonese from Hong Kong.

No, it's not weird. They were a group of CX-5 owners in Taiwan protesting several safety, quality, and maintenance issues they've experienced. Easy to crack windshield; warranty denied for engine trouble, especially on diesel, for the reason of using non-Mazda-dealer provided oil; inconsistent specifications provided by Mazda and dealers on oil filter (part no. been changed 3 times) and transmission fluid which caused engine and transmission damages by using those Mazda parts and fluid.

So the weak windshield on CX-5 seems to be the world wide issue. Some info I've seen on not making SkyActiv-D diesel available in the US is because there are some reliability issues, i.e. oil blown by, haven't been resolved. We have much stronger consumer power (I hope) which may scare Mazda to get the diesel into the US. The failure of rotary engine is still too fresh to forget.

Funny thing is the background song was in Cantonese from Hong Kong.
Clearly you speak the language so you managed to get much more out of it that I could. Only thing clear to me was that they were complaining about the windshield. That's why I posted it here. But c'mon; you've gotta' admit the musical score is a bit......wacky?

There are other Mazda forums with the same windshield cracking posts. Why is it that most crack in the same center area? They can't all be getting hit by debris there. Quite a few have also gone through 2 or three windshields, same center areas cracking. Gee, maybe it was the same rock that hit them again....

Last edited:
There are other Mazda forums with the same windshield cracking posts. Why is it that most crack in the same center area? They can't all be getting hit by debris there. Quite a few have also gone through 2 or three windshields, same center areas cracking. Gee, maybe it was the same rock that hit them again....
I wonder if those that crack in this area are mainly cars with the added electronic gizmos that may add too much weight in that area of the glass?

I wonder if those that crack in this area are mainly cars with the added electronic gizmos that may add too much weight in that area of the glass?
Seems to be a mix. My stepdaughter was a casualty of the middle glass crack a few weeks ago who doesn't have that gizmo package. She bought her car same day as me a little over 2 years ago. She went to the dealer but just missed the service manager but ran into the sales manager who told her there was someone else in that same week about the same thing. Said she just pulled into her driveway and as she was walking away from her car she heard a pop, turned around and saw multiple cracks on the upper drivers side of the windshield.

Seems to be a mix. My stepdaughter was a casualty of the middle glass crack a few weeks ago who doesn't have that gizmo package. She bought her car same day as me a little over 2 years ago. She went to the dealer but just missed the service manager but ran into the sales manager who told her there was someone else in that same week about the same thing. Said she just pulled into her driveway and as she was walking away from her car she heard a pop, turned around and saw multiple cracks on the upper drivers side of the windshield.
If we suspect these infrared rain sensor, laser sensor, and forward sensing camera are too heavy and crack the windshield, I'd say the rear-view mirror, which is the heaviest item in that area on every model and looks like it glued to the windshield, is the major suspect to crack the weak windshield!

1ST road trip 500kms and stone cracked windscreen. very small stones off road not rocks , other vehicles have survived bigger stones and rocks without cracking. oh well off to the shop tomorrow for a new one . glad to have insurance with glass cover.

So I haven't followed this issue as closely as others here, but Have most of the breakages been in that spot where all the tech goodies are hung on the inside of the windshield? My plain Jayne Touring just has the regular r/v mirror and no rain sensor for the wipers and I've had no issues in 2.5 years of use. Makes me kinda' wonder if that' just too much weight to try to support from a 3/16" thick piece of glass?
I strongly disagree. If you've ever tried to knock a passenger window out you will too. Glass properly mounted is very tough.

buying a new 2016 cx-5 GT today. I hope I don't see the cracks..

Still no photos of your new CX-5? Maybe your dealer was talking about the kind of crack you see when your pants ride below your hips.

I understand this is a big issue ;-)

I strongly disagree. If you've ever tried to knock a passenger window out you will too. Glass properly mounted is very tough.
Although it is not a scientific poll, but if 22% of CX-5 owners voted were having a crack windshield caused by stress fracture, and that CX-5 owner group in Taiwan claimed they have data to prove Mazda put inferior and easy to crack windshield on CX-5, I'd say there is something fishy here!

Two completely different animals! The side, and rear windows on cars are tempered, which is why they break into a billion small pieces when broken. Tempered glass is designed to take a very hard impact anywhere on the surface. Tap the very edge of a piece of tempered glass, even lightly, and it turn into a pile of shards.The windshield is not tempered but, is two thin pieces of glass sandwiched together with a laminate. I am assuming to save weigh,t that Mazda is using much thinner glass on the windshield, which in turn will crack under lesser tolerances. (i.e. more weight hanging from the center, rock impacts)

My 2013 CX-5 is the first car I've bought since 1992 that didn't need a replacement windshield in the first two years. I have off-roaded it extensively with the wheels at full articulation and rocking on two wheels. If the windshield was susceptible to stress fracturing due to frame distortion, I think I would have had a problem by now.

And I have taken a number of loud rock hits at freeway speeds without a crack or even a visible chip.

As far as internet polls, I'm sure they grossly over-estimate the number of "stress" cracks, both because some will report any crack as a "stress" crack and, more importantly, a thread about cracked windshields is bound to attract people who have had a windshield crack in numbers far disproportionate to those who have not and do not find cracked windshields an interesting topic of discussion.

Also, I've talked to three or four other CX-5 owners and, while their usage has not been as extreme as mine, they are all still on their OEM glass as well. I guess I don't see the "issue".

Back