Cracked Windshield on 2016 CX-5

Welcome to the Club! (says me to myself). I have a 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring, which we got new on a lease Jan 2017. I also already have the cracked windshield issue, it actually happened perhaps a month or two back, so within the first 3 months of having the car. Casual driving only, less than 3 days/week, and no clue what caused it.
After went through 2 hail storms and the windshield cracked on my 2016 GT with Tech for each storm. No other vehicles parked near by had the windshield damage during these two hail storms. This's a solid evidence to me the windshield on my CX-5 is truly weaker than others, and the significant number of weak windshield complaints from CX-5 on NHTSA website proves my point too.

After went through 2 hail storms and the windshield cracked on my 2016 GT with Tech for each storm. No other vehicles parked near by had the windshield damage during these two hail storms. This's a solid evidence to me the windshield on my CX-5 is truly weaker than others, and the significant number of weak windshield complaints from CX-5 on NHTSA website proves my point too.

I'm coming up on yearly a half year or something on my Safelite brand windshield. it has a few "pecks" in it like all of my American cars got from rocks and all over the years, but no stars or cracks. My opinion is that as soon as your Japanese glass is broken, replace it with some "house brand" and motor on.

I'm coming up on yearly a half year or something on my Safelite brand windshield. it has a few "pecks" in it like all of my American cars got from rocks and all over the years, but no stars or cracks. My opinion is that as soon as your Japanese glass is broken, replace it with some "house brand" and motor on.
Yeah but the problem is the aftermarket windshield for 2016 CX-5 with Tech is still not available yet. I went to claim center last week for hail damage and the insurance was trying to give me every possible after-market parts including a $200 windshield from Safelite and a $145 tail light. I found the adjuster quoted me a wrong non-Tech windshield, and wrong non-LED tail light both of them are after-market parts! I questioned her about the wrong parts, and the supervisor re-checked again and found there's still no after-market windshield available for my CX-5, hence $683.01 (going up from last year's $666.25) OEM windshield, and a $291 after-market LED outer tail light lens.

Just an update on my Safelite brand windshield. It has taken a beating, and I have NO cracks thus far. I have seen rocks the size of "shooter marbles" hit this thing, and it just leaves a bit of white powder and a tiny divot, like all of my American cars have done. The Japanese glass...I have seen them crack without even SEEING the rock, and it hit in my FOV. MUCH tougher than the OEM. I suggest once the OEM dies, get Safelite.

Okay, my two year old baby just got it's first cracked windshield :( Driving on the Capital Beltway yesterday. I heard the crack and instantaneously the crack was almost a foot long - right across my line of vision. :':)':)'( I figured it was just a matter of time. I have a question though and if it's a stupid one please go easy on the ridicule lol

Is the original glass in the 2016 CX5 'accoustic' glass? I'm thinking not, but it's one of the questions Safelite asks when setting up the appointment. Anyone certain?

Thanks in advance!

⋯ Is the original glass in the 2016 CX5 'accoustic' glass? I'm thinking not, but it's one of the questions Safelite asks when setting up the appointment. Anyone certain?
For 2016 CX-5 the windshield for all trims has non-acoustic windshield from factory. If your 2016 CX-5 GT has no Tech Package then there's aftermarket windshield available. The aftermarket may offer windshield with acoustic laminated glass for your choice.

For 2016 CX-5 the windshield for all trims has non-acoustic windshield from factory. If your 2016 CX-5 GT has no Tech Package then there's aftermarket windshield available. The aftermarket may offer windshield with acoustic laminated glass for your choice.

Thanks for the reply yrwei52 - I don't have the tech package, but I did have the auto-dimmer rear view mirror installed after the fact. Hopefully that won't be an issue!

Thanks for the reply yrwei52 - I don't have the tech package, but I did have the auto-dimmer rear view mirror installed after the fact. Hopefully that won't be an issue!
No, you won't because you have only one rain sensor mounted on the windshield which has nothing to do with auto-dimming mirror. I'd try that aftermarket acoustic windshield if Safelite says it fit to your non-Tech GT model and the cost to you is not much higher.

Be sure to test your rain-sensing wipers before and after making sure Safelite didn't screw up your rain sensor.

No, you won't because you have only one rain sensor mounted on the windshield which has nothing to do with auto-dimming mirror. I'd try that aftermarket acoustic windshield if Safelite says it fit to your non-Tech GT model and the cost to you is not much higher.

Be sure to test your rain-sensing wipers before and after making sure Safelite didn't screw up your rain sensor.

I'll be sure to do that! Thank you for the advice!

I have had my 2018 cx5 gt prem. Pkg vehicle a little over a month. The first week I noticed a very light scratch on my windshield...it seemed to follow the driver side wiper. You really can't feel it with your finger it is that light. The wiper in 1 spot felt a little odd/irregular. I can only see the arched scratch in certain bright light. Had anyone else had this happen? :(

Last edited:
I have had my 2018 cx5 gt prem. Pkg vehicle a little over a month. The first week I noticed a very light scratch on my windshield...it seemed to follow the driver side wiper. You really can't feel it with your finger it is that light. The wiper in 1 spot felt a little odd/irregular. I can only see the arched scratch in certain bright light. Had anyone else had this happen? :(

I saw something like that as well. When I cleaned the windshield with strong cleaner it disappeared. The only thing I can think is there was a coating of sorts on the glass, either from shipping or from detailing. Most likely it was the latter.

I saw something like that as well. When I cleaned the windshield with strong cleaner it disappeared. The only thing I can think is there was a coating of sorts on the glass, either from shipping or from detailing. Most likely it was the latter.
Thanks so much for your reply!
I took it back to the dealer.....they replaced the wiper. They had their detailer try to wash/wipe it away....no luck. They said go through my insurance to replace the windshield. That seems like too much for a scratch.
The "scratch "is arched but not deep. Will try to wash the glass again myself....

Thanks so much for your reply!
I took it back to the dealer.....they replaced the wiper. They had their detailer try to wash/wipe it away....no luck. They said go through my insurance to replace the windshield. That seems like too much for a scratch.
The "scratch "is arched but not deep. Will try to wash the glass again myself....

You've only had the car a month? The wiper scratched the windshield? The dealer told you to get your INSURANCE to replace the windshield?

Doesn't sound right to me.

You've only had the car a month? The wiper scratched the windshield? The dealer told you to get your INSURANCE to replace the windshield?

Doesn't sound right to me.
I know, right? They said a piece of ice or rock chip could have gotten stuck in the wiper and caused the problem. The wiper did have an odd feeling in one spot....hard to argue about ice or a rock chip? The scratch is not deep...but it bugged me cause the car is so new...[emoji21]

I"m coming in late on this but I just had this occur to my 2016 CX-5. Washing the windshield I noticed 5 cracks in the glass. You can feel them with your fingernail. All cracks are nearly vertical coming in from the top. One runs down the middle, most are passenger side.
I didn't notice any big rock dings, but even still, separate cracks in a windshield? Has ANYONE heard of this? I'm thinking defective glass. Sadly, I'm 6 weeks past warranty.

Back