Cracked Windshield on 2016 CX-5

Ricsta

:
2016 CX-5 GT
Went to wash the car this morning and saw the windshield cracked by the rear view mirror. Called the dealer to report the issue and he said I should take it in on Monday to the service manage. I'll keep you posted.

I hope the picture can be seen. I haven't uploaded pics before.

Attachments

• IMG_2133.JPG
    IMG_2133.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 4,085
it a rock or anything else hit the car then you are out of luck. hope they take care of it for you

it a rock or anything else hit the car then you are out of luck. hope they take care of it for you

Thanks. I suspect that that's what they'll suspect but there's no rock chip. It happened overnight in my driveway. It appears to be a stress crack.

As I am sure you are aware, this is a well documented problem for '13-'15 owners. Luckily my windshield has been fine, but many others have experienced the same crack in the same location as you. It is a shame that this problem has not been rectified on the 2016's...I thought the 2016s had thicker glass which may have corrected this problem - but I guess not.

If there is no chip, fight hard to get it replaced under warranty. A few members have been successful with this.

As I am sure you are aware, this is a well documented problem for '13-'15 owners. Luckily my windshield has been fine, but many others have experienced the same crack in the same location as you. It is a shame that this problem has not been rectified on the 2016's...I thought the 2016s had thicker glass which may have corrected this problem - but I guess not.
So I haven't followed this issue as closely as others here, but Have most of the breakages been in that spot where all the tech goodies are hung on the inside of the windshield? My plain Jayne Touring just has the regular r/v mirror and no rain sensor for the wipers and I've had no issues in 2.5 years of use. Makes me kinda' wonder if that' just too much weight to try to support from a 3/16" thick piece of glass?

So I haven't followed this issue as closely as others here, but Have most of the breakages been in that spot where all the tech goodies are hung on the inside of the windshield? My plain Jayne Touring just has the regular r/v mirror and no rain sensor for the wipers and I've had no issues in 2.5 years of use. Makes me kinda' wonder if that' just too much weight to try to support from a 3/16" thick piece of glass?

I don't recall. I think every model/options had issues - need to find the threat about it for more specific details.

If there is no chip, fight hard to get it replaced under warranty. A few members have been successful with this.

Yes, I'm aware that the issue existed with previous models. I also thought the thicker glass solved the problem. My primary reason for posting is to let others know that the issue still persist.

The dealer will cover the replacement under warranty. They've ordered the new glass and said it will be there in about two days.

I joined the club last Friday, unfortunately from a rock. The new windshield does look nice though.

I remember reading somewhere that the 2016s have thicker side glass, so I assume the windshield is the same thickness as the older models

I got a 2016 with less than 500 miles and I got a rock chip the other day.
I was concerned with the windshield because the sound from the rock/or debris was very light (sound). I had rocks hitting previous cars and the sound was very loud and no cracks or damage.
The size of the crack is less than 1/4 of an inch and I took the CX5 to Safelite to have it fix. My insurance paid for it ($65).

But I'm concern with the thickness of the windshield. Any comments?

Got a small chip myself about a week ago, with just over 1000km on it. Annoying! Had it fixed yesterday, the insurance covers these chips fortunately.

How did Safelite repair it? Also did they come to your driveway to do it?

I could have waited for the mobile van for the repair but they were book for the entire week. And since the temperature was in the 30s (lows) I didn't want the crack to get bigger so I chose to drive in the next day.

As far as Safelite, the is the second windshield they have repaired, and this time I took it to a different shop. I believe they did a crappy job on the Mazda. I was in and out and about fifteen minutes. I can see the glue on the crack and the line is dark now (from the crack), I feel they rushed the job.
The first windshield they've repaired they did a fantastic job, but it was at a different hop.

Here is the problem, once they place glue in there, there is no way to go back and try to fix it again. Their warranty is, if the crack get bigger (you may need a windshield) they will credit the $65 towards a new windshield. REALLY STUPID, do it right the first time and I won't need to spend $500- $600 on a new windshield.
I went to different Safelite shop, and I had a tech that agreed that they didn't do a good job by cleaning it right the first time, but stated that it won't crack any further.

I believe they are to supposed to clean the crack and then used some type of vacuum to clean all the sediments out.
Bottom line, I would not recommend safelite. And then when I got a supervisor on the phone, the costumer service I got was really poor.

Look somewhere else, but what I got out of it is, take it to a shop and have it fix sooner than later to prevent the crack to get bigger. Also, I was told they can fix a crack up to the size of a quarter.
And I seen the repair kits for sale at local auto parts and Walmart but I never have tried them.

I have been lucky so far with my '15...not even a ding of any kind. I was fairly paranoid last winter over the mountain passes but so far so good.

Update: The dealer replaced the windshield at no cost to me. Total repair cost to be paid by mazda corporate to the dealer is almost $900

I had my 2016 for about 4 days and a rock hit it or what I assume was a rock. Really didn't even make a noise and it cracked from the right side too just about the middle of the windshield. I've had things hit my windshield in other cars before and not do a single thing. I had safelite come and repair it today but they didn't have the right window they have too order the windshield from mazda and they told me they are on back order and it prolly won't be fixed till first week in June. Mazda must be putting weak or real thin windows in there glass. Not happy about this happening 4 days in of ownership. What can you do tho. Love the car other then that.

buying a new 2016 cx-5 GT today. I hope I don't see the cracks..
mazda canada and local dealer seems to know about the issue.

I had my 2016 for about 4 days and a rock hit it or what I assume was a rock. Really didn't even make a noise and it cracked from the right side too just about the middle of the windshield. I've had things hit my windshield in other cars before and not do a single thing. I had safelite come and repair it today but they didn't have the right window they have too order the windshield from mazda and they told me they are on back order and it prolly won't be fixed till first week in June. Mazda must be putting weak or real thin windows in there glass. Not happy about this happening 4 days in of ownership. What can you do tho. Love the car other then that.

I had my windshield replaced with new OEM glass because it was cracking along the right side probably caused by a rock. The new windshield has started to crack across the driver's side 4 days later because of a rock chip.

Colorado was hell on my cars. Every single one of them has/had a replaced windshield.....

Back