Rear brake pad and rotor replacement

I am a new member but longtime Mazda owner. Bought my 2010 Mazda 5 GS new and it's now past warranty. I plan to do the basic maintenance work (brakes, oil, filters, belts etc.) myself. My first job is to replace rear pads and rotors as they are visibly rusted out and no longer flat. I have visited many sites and blogs mostly related to doing this job on 3's and 6's as the internet seems to favour (understandably) those vehicles. However I suspect the 5 is similar if not identical to the 3 - at least with respect to brakes.

I have one question which seems to get no coverage (that I can find) and that is related to the little springs/clips on the back of the inside rear pad. The one that attaches the pad to the caliper piston. My ATE replacement pads did not come with any clips nor do many replacement pads that I have looked at. Perhaps the Mazda OEM dealer pads do but I find they wear too quickly (thoughts?) and I want to try other suppliers. I am assuming that I'll re-use the clip that are on the old pads now but I might find they have worn or rusted and may not be re-useable. If that is the case, where do I find replacements? Many online parts sites don't seem to describe that part. See the photo of my new pad, the lower one is the inside pad. I also have the shop manual but that part is not shown there either. The only reference is a somewhat vague diagram showing that the pad attaches to the piston - but no part number.

Thanks for any thoughts or help. I have tried to find this topic on the forums but did not see it although I did not search exhaustively.

DSC_6825.JPG

I am a new member but longtime Mazda owner. Bought my 2010 Mazda 5 GS new and it's now past warranty. I plan to do the basic maintenance work (brakes, oil, filters, belts etc.) myself. My first job is to replace rear pads and rotors as they are visibly rusted out and no longer flat. I have visited many sites and blogs mostly related to doing this job on 3's and 6's as the internet seems to favour (understandably) those vehicles. However I suspect the 5 is similar if not identical to the 3 - at least with respect to brakes.

I have one question which seems to get no coverage (that I can find) and that is related to the little springs/clips on the back of the inside rear pad. The one that attaches the pad to the caliper piston. My ATE replacement pads did not come with any clips nor do many replacement pads that I have looked at. Perhaps the Mazda OEM dealer pads do but I find they wear too quickly (thoughts?) and I want to try other suppliers. I am assuming that I'll re-use the clip that are on the old pads now but I might find they have worn or rusted and may not be re-useable. If that is the case, where do I find replacements? Many online parts sites don't seem to describe that part. See the photo of my new pad, the lower one is the inside pad. I also have the shop manual but that part is not shown there either. The only reference is a somewhat vague diagram showing that the pad attaches to the piston - but no part number.

Thanks for any thoughts or help. I have tried to find this topic on the forums but did not see it although I did not search exhaustively.

View attachment 210708

It is typically called a "HARDWARE KIT", look on rockauto.com and they usually have some good pics too so you can verify what you are ordering, or use that part number you find to get one at your local parts store.

Thanks, I've seen those kits but they are for the big spring slips that go on the outside of the brake caliper. The part I am, looking for is the little clip on the back of the brake pad itself. None of Rock Autos's hardware kits (at least under my vehicle 2010 Mazda 5) involve that part only the big caliper springs.

Edit post. I Think you are asking about the butterfly looking spring clip?? IIRC, Mazda revised the rear pads to a new design. Also, I belive only the outer pad has it, not the inner and I think they are integrated into the pad.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm missing something but from your own picture it would appear that the pad already has new clip on it!?

From my experience changing brakes on our 2008 MZ5 one of the pads does have a clip riveted on already. This would be the pad closest to the piston such that the clip seats inside the hollow part of the piston. The outer pad seats into guides cast into the caliper housing.

Maybe I'm missing something but from your own picture it would appear that the pad already has new clip on it!?

Ultimately I'll find out when I take my old pads out. Just hoping I don't' have to ride my bicycle to the dealer to get OEM pads while my car is on stands LOL. The image I posted in my entry of 04-17-2015 was of my newly purchased replacement pads.. The clip (or lack thereof) that I was referring to is some way to attach the inner pad to the caliper piston. See the image I attached to this entry.IMG_0485.JPG. Today's image is of someone old Mazda pads and you'll see the clip I am talking about in the lower right pad.

Now since I originally posted I had an offline conversation with another 247 member who told me that Mazda has gone with a "Type 2" pad that no longer uses clips. I'm hoping that is the case. But as I said, all will be revealed when I finally get around to doing my brake job (wife and garage cleanup permitting).

Ultimately I'll find out when I take my old pads out. Just hoping I don't' have to ride my bicycle to the dealer to get OEM pads while my car is on stands LOL. The image I posted in my entry of 04-17-2015 was of my newly purchased replacement pads.. The clip (or lack thereof) that I was referring to is some way to attach the inner pad to the caliper piston. See the image I attached to this entry.View attachment 210945. Today's image is of someone old Mazda pads and you'll see the clip I am talking about in the lower right pad.

Now since I originally posted I had an offline conversation with another 247 member who told me that Mazda has gone with a "Type 2" pad that no longer uses clips. I'm hoping that is the case. But as I said, all will be revealed when I finally get around to doing my brake job (wife and garage cleanup permitting).

I just did the rear brakes on my 2010 Mazda 5, my new pads did not have the clips on the back like yours, but the butterfly clip on top like your originals. The attached pictures aren't very helpful though as I didn't really capture the pads, only the old pads that looked identical to my new ones.

brakesnew.jpg
brakesold.jpg

OK, Finally did the job and got my new pads and rotors on. Just like Hagerty00 I also had no clips on the rear of the old inner pads. FYI, I did purchase a set of dealer Mazda pads and discovered that they had no clips either. They were also identical to the ATE pads I had bought online and the Mazda pads were more expensive so I returned them. The Mazda pads are also made by ATE and also have FOMOCO stamped on them, I suspect the Ford brake system is identical - at least on their smaller cars.

I had no issues replacing the parts but I did have significant rust (I'm in eastern Canada). You can see it in some of my before pictures. The pads were basically "rust-welded" to the caliper mounts and so were completely immobile. I had to break them off and file down the caliper mounts with a fine file to get back to clean metal. Reassembled with caliper lube, used my new caliper piston compression/rotation kit, torqued slider pins and caliper mount screws and all was well.

As well as the new ceramic pads, my new rotors are also an ATE product. Since this was my first time I went slow and careful, but will be faster next time or on the front. Most of the time was cleaning rust and "restoring". Here are my pictures:

old rotor and pads.JPG
rusted caliper mount.jpg
all done.JPG

The rotors were $55.00 CDN each but they were on sale 2 for 1 at the time I bought them. Yes I would like to paint the calipers or someday buy new powder coated ones. Not sure how much longer these will last with our winters and salt. Thanks for the message.

The rubber boots on yours don't seem to have suffered nearly as bad as the surface finish and the pads, that is a good thing BTW as the boot on the calipers will allow the piston to rust and THAT will kill a caliper in a hurry. 55$ CDN is what $65 or 70 US?

Wow! Those first pics look like something that came up off the ocean floor! I was looking for barnacles!

Well done, looks MUCH better!

Good job 5DIY. I don't know that I've ever seen that rotor design before. A tip for guys doing this is if the sliding pins for the rear caliper don't move freely in the bushings of the caliper, there is most likely aluminum corrosion built up compressing the bushing. Pop those rubber bushings out, clean the corrosion using a round file and install new bushings if necessary. I've seen the corrosion built up to the point that it is very hard to even unbolt the slider from the caliper bracket and then the slider has to be hammered out of the bushing.

The rubber boots on yours don't seem to have suffered nearly as bad as the surface finish and the pads, that is a good thing BTW as the boot on the calipers will allow the piston to rust and THAT will kill a caliper in a hurry. 55$ CDN is what $65 or 70 US?

The Candiann dollar is now less than the USD. So take about 15-20% off the get to USD

Good job 5DIY. I don't know that I've ever seen that rotor design before. A tip for guys doing this is if the sliding pins for the rear caliper don't move freely in the bushings of the caliper, there is most likely aluminum corrosion built up compressing the bushing. Pop those rubber bushings out, clean the corrosion using a round file and install new bushings if necessary. I've seen the corrosion built up to the point that it is very hard to even unbolt the slider from the caliper bracket and then the slider has to be hammered out of the bushing.

Thanks!, Did not know one could replace the bushings inside the caliper slider pin tunnel. Any links to source to buy those? Despite the rust on the outside of my caliper mounts, the slider pins were actually quite clean when they came out. So I lubed them and put them back in. But i'll definitely keep that in mind in future.

Back