2016 - CX-5 - tow hook ?

kahuna001

:
2014 CX-5 GT
Just picked up a 2016 CX-5 and was wondering if there are any kind of tow hook in the trunk ( spare tire ) area. There are empty space for the short and long tow hook in there. Don't know if missing or just not there.

My touring came with an eye type hook that is used for Tie Down only. I'm sure the vehicle came with at least one. ed

Just picked up a 2016 CX-5 and was wondering if there are any kind of tow hook in the trunk ( spare tire ) area. There are empty space for the short and long tow hook in there. Don't know if missing or just not there.
These "tow" (tie-down) hooks are supposed to be removed at port and placed in the spare tire well. It would seem this does not always happen. As Ed points out, they are not to be used to tow the car, but are on occasion safely used to winch the vehicle up onto a flat bed tow truck.

My 2014 CX5 came with them but the 2016 didn't. I called the dealership and was told Mazda no longer provides them even though the manual calls for their use when towing (on a flatbed). They didn't know why but said none of the 16s have them.

I suspect Mazda was afraid people would use them as tow hooks instead of tie downs and didn't want any liability issues.

If that's the case I would invest in an aftermarket eye hook, not so much for tie down on the flat bed (they have their own way of doing that), but to help get a totally dead vehicle up onto the bed.

I posted the same question "Tiedown Eyelets" a couple of weeks ago. I also checked with my dealer and basically there is none for 2016 CX-5 which comes with those tiedown eyelets! They found a long one (for front bumper) in a new 2015 CX-5 in the show room and gave it to me. I ordered a short one for rear bumper from parts and it costs about $20. The long one costs about $30. Now I have both and I'm glad to see these two empty slots in the spare tire area being filled.

"Do not use the front and rear tiedown eyelets for towing the vehicle. They have been designed only for securing the vehicle to a transport vessel during shipping. Using the eyelets for any other purpose could result in the vehicle being damaged." Warned in the Owner's Manual.

Likewise, I have a 2016 CX-5 GT without tow hooks. After questioning the dealer, I received the party line which is in your quote. Personally, the Japanese are too smart to make that quote. I have over 52 years of driving experience around the world and these hooks are essential equipment, especially for anyone with AWD. Moreover, I'm an airlifter with 25 years alf hauling cargo , pax, and vehicles around the world. Vehicles are winched onto other vehicles using the tow hook. No experienced or certified cargo loader would use the tow hook to tie down a vehicle because it provides no aft or lateral restraint. I insisted on a tow hook and Mazda sales purchased one for me after I ordered one for myself from Mazda Parts. I was told you'll pull the bumper off your car and I responded it's not attached to the bumper but the frame. No one at Mazda has ever been benched out of a ditch, snow bank, or onto a flat bed tow truck. Sometimes I wonder?

Tow or not to Tow

Likewise, I have a 2016 CX-5 GT without tow hooks. After questioning the dealer, I received the party line which is in your quote. Personally, the Japanese are too smart to make that quote. I have over 52 years of driving experience around the world and these hooks are essential equipment, especially for anyone with AWD. Moreover, I'm an airlifter with 25 years in air-lift hauling cargo , pax, and vehicles around the world. Vehicles are winched onto other vehicles using the tow hook. No experienced or certified cargo loader would use the tow hook to tie down a vehicle because it provides no aft or lateral restraint. I insisted on a tow hook and Mazda sales purchased one for me after I ordered one for myself from Mazda Parts. I was told you'll pull the bumper off your car and I responded it's not attached to the bumper but the frame. No one at Mazda has ever been winched out of a ditch, snow bank, or onto a flat bed tow truck. Sometimes I wonder?(bird)

Last edited:
The Tie-downs don't come with the 2016 CX-5. The owner's manual shows them only on "*some models". a set cost about $50.
I bought a set, but I doubt they will ever be put to use.

Please stop calling them Tow Hooks.

The Tie-downs don't come with the 2016 CX-5. The owner's manual shows them only on "*some models". a set cost about $50.
I bought a set, but I doubt they will ever be put to use.

Please stop calling them Tow Hooks.

They are used to connect the tow chains to pull a car on to a flat bed trailer. Other automakers have been doing this for years. This prevents frame damage by improperly hooking the the tow chains. They are not meant to actually tow a car with a tow truck.

Overkill for use with ahttps://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) but I'd readily use if needed with a Come-Along.

23043_400x400.jpg

Mine doesn't have the tow hook, only an empty slot to store one. Has anyone figured out the thread size or found a cheap tow hook for their 2017 or newer model?

I had a similar question when I took delivery of my 2018 CX-9. The CX-9 and the CX-5 use the same part numbers for the hooks.

Here are the part numbers:
The parts list shows two "tow hooks":
Front KD53-50-EJ1B
Rear KD53-50-EJ2B

And the eyebolt details if you want to make your own:
You can make the eyebolt. The thread is M20-2.5. I'd use an eye nut plus a threaded stud of a suitable length.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#eyebolts/=1eab32n

I dont know why Mazda US remove them, they are left in on a new U.K. vehicle and in some cases they leave a second set in a separate bag. Ive got a drawer full of the things at home, Id have brought some over and posted them out if Id known. I can assure anybody doubting their use that they are used to steady them on the ship and in the U.K. they come off the transporter with the blanks in the bumper not fitted but they also use purpose made holes in the chassis.

Attachments

• Towing.pdf
    706.6 KB · Views: 266
  • Handling Caution for Trailer Transportation.pdf
    553 KB · Views: 147
Back