2014-2015 owners, does your USB start from the first song every time you restart car?

2014 owner here: Yep, USB starts from the first track every time you start the car... AFAIK there is no way to change that :(

This doesn't apply to Bluetooth though, that's dependent on the last thing you played on your device.

2014 owner here: Yep, USB starts from the first track every time you start the car... AFAIK there is no way to change that :(

This doesn't apply to Bluetooth though, that's dependent on the last thing you played on your device.

Actually there is a very simple solution - visit your local dealer and request a bluetooth module replacement. The USB playback is via the BT module and a new version of the module has been released that solves the playback issue. There is a TSB for this fix but I don't know the number. The module is the same as in CX5 and 6, therefor it should be in the same TSB. I had it replaced on my 2015 CX9 as well as on my 2014 Mazda 6 and both are now playing the tracks from the point where the playback stopped the last time. It takes about 15 minutes for the tech to replace the module but they usually have to order it to have it ready for the upgrade. From what I was told by the tech they are given 10 work days to replace to module and send the original one back to mazda to have it covered by the TSB.

If your talking about Bulletin # 09-008/15, it also says that it fixes the problem with not getting SMS mesages not beiing downloaded. I called the 800 number regarding this, and got "approved" for the module upgrade, but when I took it to the dealer, it was a different story. Since my mileage was over 36K, they wouldnt cover it even though I have extended warranty. THey called their resources, and they said the bulletin was wrong - it does NOT fix the SMS issue (That is an Apple restriction). So I would love to find out if someone has had this upgrade, if they are getting text messages via an iPhone.........

holy crap! i thought i totally just had to live with this!!! i just called my dealership and they're ordering the part for me! woot!!!! i hope this fixes the USB playback issue!!!

FIXED! the local dealership near me seemed to know about this TSB. they ordered it with no hassle (though i overheard another service manager say out loud that he thought they had do some other steps but got corrected by my service manager that there was no need in my case). took around a week to get the part and about an hour to install. my factory bose deck now downloads my text messages from my iphone 6+ running ios 8. it's weird that won't display my texts while the car is in motion and instead displays a disclaimer that's longer than 90% of the texts i receive...playback resume from USB and iphone/ipod seem to be fixed BUT i'm still unable to control music selection from my iphone (you MUST control music from the deck's interface). minor gripe but fyi.

If your talking about Bulletin # 09-008/15, it also says that it fixes the problem with not getting SMS mesages not beiing downloaded. I called the 800 number regarding this, and got "approved" for the module upgrade, but when I took it to the dealer, it was a different story. Since my mileage was over 36K, they wouldnt cover it even though I have extended warranty. THey called their resources, and they said the bulletin was wrong - it does NOT fix the SMS issue (That is an Apple restriction). So I would love to find out if someone has had this upgrade, if they are getting text messages via an iPhone.........

I just got a 2015 cx9 touring last week which has the same issue , which 1800 number did u call ?
Thanks

I just got a 2015 cx9 touring last week which has the same issue , which 1800 number did u call ?
Thanks

i don't think you HAVE to call any 800#, i just called my dealership here locally. you might want to start with them and see what they say.

Thanks

WOW, Mazda is the laziest manufacturer ever ! They've known this problem since 2013 and still haven't fixed it in 2015 ?

I tried and showed the stealership the service bulletin, and they wouldn't budge, they said I'm over the warranty
and the new improved bluetooth will cost $440.

I said forget that, ain't worth $440 to fix USB first song issue. I'll see if I can get a cheaper one off eBay in the future and do it myself.

Avidien, I had the same situation. Mine was out of warranty, and they would not fix it. HOWEVER, I expressed to them that it was obvious that this issue was there while the vehicle WAS in warranty, so I should not be penalized because of their complacency. From what I understand, they are going to go ahead and do it. I haven't heard officially yet.

Avidien, I had the same situation. Mine was out of warranty, and they would not fix it. HOWEVER, I expressed to them that it was obvious that this issue was there while the vehicle WAS in warranty, so I should not be penalized because of their complacency. From what I understand, they are going to go ahead and do it. I haven't heard officially yet.

Thanks Bob, good to know, please keep me posted.

I believe dealers are hesitant because Mazda corporate won't honor the service if the vehicle is over warranty, and the dealers will be left holding the bag.

The problem here is Mazda classified it as a "service bulletin" not a "recall". If it was the latter, dealers would jump right on it because they know they will get reimbursed and also make some money for labor off corporate.

ABSOLUTELY agree with you though, problem was there from the very beginning and they didn't have a fix until this year,
so the 2013s/2014s that are over the warranty mileage should still be grandfathered in and they should fix on good faith.

I'm sure if I give them enough hassling, they would cave in or agree to 50/50 split , just not sure if it's worth the fight over the USB first song replay.

Plus, I got all my bluetooth connections and speed dials all set up the way I like them. Don't really want to go thru the pain of setting each one up again. I'm a firm believer if it ain't broke, don't touch it LOL :) I know if I go messing with it something will go wrong like bluetooth won't connect with phone anymore, just not worth the hassle, you know.

Last edited:
The main reason I want this upgrade is for text messaging to finally work - I don't use USB, just Pandora.

The main reason I want this upgrade is for text messaging to finally work - I don't use USB, just Pandora.

the messaging feature is neat...when you're at a complete stop. if you get a messaging feature while in motion, there's a long disclaimer that says due to safety contraints blah blah blah it can't allow you to read your texts (which is ironic because the disclaimer has thus far been longer than any text i generally receive) so your only recourse is to have the mazda voice system read it to you in it's robot voice. (if i recall, it reads "lol" as "laugh out loud" which in turn made me lol...)

Strmrdr23, just to make sure we are talking about the same thing - this is regarding Mazda Bulletin #09-008/15 2/3/2015, correct? Where they replace the Bluetooth module and upgrade the Bluetooth firmware to the latest version. It sounds like it, just wanted to make sure. Thanks again.

Strmrdr23, just to make sure we are talking about the same thing - this is regarding Mazda Bulletin #09-008/15 2/3/2015, correct? Where they replace the Bluetooth module and upgrade the Bluetooth firmware to the latest version. It sounds like it, just wanted to make sure. Thanks again.

that's the one.

What have folks results been with this BT module replacement? My wife's car is having it done as an out of warranty courtesy by Mazda (I had to make quite a stink to get them to cover it) on Thursday. I've read mixed results.

What about the overall BT quality with phone calls? Will this improve that in any way? It's pretty horrid in her CX9, almost unusable.

I just got this replaced today to enable shuffle/repeat over bluetooth with iPhone. You can read about it here, and how to get them to approve the order.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-on-bluetooth-FIXED-with-new-bluetooth-module

My wife has seen a big improvement since the replacement, not just with audio, but the cell call quality as well. It was horrible before. Barely usable. But much better now, which is what I figured. This one BT module controls a lot in these cars.

Back