A/C Vent Trim Removal

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I did the passenger side last night with vinyl mat. Looks super and NO Mirror Glare - priceless!

So you cut the 3M matte black vinyl wrap to the size of the vent with the backing on it? And then peeled the backing off of the cut out piece and worked it into the crevices? I really want to do this, and ordered the 3M vinyl wrap already. Yours looks fantastic! I can't wait to get rid of that annoying glare.

And the rest of the pics ...

attachment.php

This is looking up from the carpet, the vent is the one with foam surrounding it.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

anyone know what kind of tape they used around the vent? I didn't end up taking the trim off because I want to get the same tape before vinyl wrapping mine.

The piece of trim on the console around the shifter and HVAC controls is held in by metal clips. Just take off the shift knob and pull up on the flat part on the console, and pull away from the part around the HVAC. Just a firm tug should do it. Just reverse the process to put it back on.

how does the shift knob remove off the automatic version? I want to vinyl wrap the chrome around the leather part of the shifter.

Hey thanks. I didn't know you can remove the vent covers like this. I was planning on cleaning the inside of vent ducts to remove as much dust/dirt as I can. This sure helps access more duct work.

Thanks much, Splinter Cell, for the pic with the metal tabs. I was able to remove my vents today.

The passenger side is super easy, just keep the glove compartment door half-open with your knee and your hand can freely access the vent. It's easy to feel the metal tabs and push on them. I pushed one side first, then wedged it with a coin to prevent it from going back in, then the other side.

The driver side is trickier. Unless Splinter Cell posts instruction on removing the storage and buttons panels, I got lazy and went directly for the vent instead. I lay down on the carpet, my head touching the brake pedal, my back is on the side step (perhaps a pillow on the carpet might be easier on your back). From that angle, I can clearly see the vent with its two metal tabs, and was able to push them with a long screw driver. However, this side is a little harder to pull out, I had to hold the tab (that change air direction) in the middle of the vent and pull it strongly.

In the pictures below, you can see that the chrome trim can be removed independently of the black window below it. I wasn't sure which latch is which, so I detached the whole window first before removing the chrome trim.

Again, thank Splinter Cell for your pointer. It's just a matter of spraying PlasticDip now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

video of how to pop out the air vents in case you don't like the chrome reflection and want to plastic dip the chrome trim....... it's in French but it's self explanatory....in the first few seconds he shows the annoying reflection on the window....distracting the side mirror view... not sure how Mazda engineers missed this reflection and distraction ...

Last edited:
Did you guys retape the vent covers? what kind did you use? I've taken them off before, but never did the vinyl because I didnt have the vent tape handy.

My dealer replaced the chrome vent trim with black. FREE. It's a warranty/safety issue. If a customer complains about the glare, the dealer can do a warranty replacement, per the factory.

On another thread (which I can't find right now), there's a copy of the notice to dealers from the factory on this issue.

Just had mine switched out per the TSB. No charge if you're still under the bumper to bumper warranty.

attachment.php
IMG_4112.JPG
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4108.JPG
    IMG_4108.JPG
    528.5 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_4109.JPG
    IMG_4109.JPG
    515.8 KB · Views: 391
Back